RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Anonymous
---------
Crossbow of war is still a crossbow.

Like other Chapter 5 "attacks" (melee, ranged, spells) its pretty easy to take out Swampsharks once equipped with as such weapon.

Scar is a very easy prey. You can beat him up once you get the Orc Hammer (wich does ALOT of damage for a MINOR strength requirement).

Beat him up from behind, and he wont have time to retreat or grab his weapon. Take him out quickly, then his friends (like Gomez) doesnt care, and think its a "cool fight". Steal his stuff. Then take out his friend.

wysiwyg
-------
It takes two shots with Firestorm to take out one swampshark.

Swampsharks can be taken out early in the game once you grabbed a damage 70 melee weapon. Just try to push them up against a mountain wall and then keep hitting on them until they die. Trolls can be taken out the same way. As long as you keep hitting them they wont have time to hit back. Only critical hits hurt them, but when you can keep hitting on them in like 10 minutes without reiciving one single attack against you you will do enough critical hits to kill them.

* SPOILER THAT MAKES LAST CHAPTER *ALOT* EASIER *
In fact, take out everyone inside the entire Old Camp while the gates are still open (except maybee the diggers, Diego and Milton). Beat em up, steal their stuff.

It will make the attack on the OC camp *EXTREMELY easy* since noone carries weapons =)

You cannot defeat the following so leave them alone until "the return":
Thorus
Gomez
The winch guarding bridge guard on the north & south gate (1 in each gate)
Gomez "Bard"

But be sure to beat down everyone else (dont kill them).

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:46 pm

"Crossbow of war is still a crossbow. "

Yes, which makes a regular bow useless. Most easy to find crossbows do much more damage than other easier to find bows. The level 1 crossbow skill itself allows greater range & accuracy than level 2 bow. I forgot what critical hit starts with, but level 2 crossbow offers 40% critical hits. The most powerful bows don't do as much damage as the most powerful crossbows, so I think bows are a wasted skill. You dont have to learn bow to learn crossbow I think, once you become a guard the fellow inside the castle courtyard teaches you the crossbow.
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:42 pm

JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Someone mentioned that Level 2 bow is alot quicker than Level 2 crossbow, wich makes the bow an interesting alternative.

I havnt been able to verify this yet (I will in my next character).

I had 104 dex and was a master in Crossbow when I finished the game the first time.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 4:04 pm
PaulDenton
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

A bow reloads faster than a crossbow, it is also true in real life.
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 5:18 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

If that is true the Bow would be alot more useful than a Crossbow. The Crossbow is ok to take out one heavier enemy at a time, but not several.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 6:33 pm
JemyM
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

When I took out the swampsharks as a warrior I shot one with an arrow to making it angry, then I ran away towards the mountain wall, luring him to follow me. Once he came there, I kept him on distance with my melee weapon, strafing a bit after each hit until it ended up with the mountainwall on one side, and me on the other. Then its just your (yes, you, the player) stamina that sets your limit. It might take 10 minutes if you are really unskilled, but it does work.

Best Regards
JemyM
Post Tue Dec 11, 2001 6:39 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2