Dungeon Lords: Interview @ Rebell.at
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Dungeon Lords: Interview @ Rebell.at

D.W. Bradley has been <a href="http://www.rebell.at/?site=01&cnt=show_s1&post_id=311" target="_blank">interviewed</a> at Rebell.at about Heuristic Park's next game - 'Dungeon Lords'. Here's a clip that might interest some of our readers, although the answer doesn't give much away:<blockquote><em><b>At least in the German-speaking RPG-community your project is compared with Gothic 2. I bet you heared about this great game, but how much influence did it really have on Dungeon Lords? And is it really comparable to it in the end?</b>
<br>
<br>"I am familiar of course with Gothic and Gothic 2, and well as most other notable RPGs. During the initial design of Dungeon Lords, I spent a great deal of time studying many other games in order to glean where RPG of the future was going, and how I might best take it there. However, I really learned more by listening and observing the players themselves - what was fun, and what was not, what makes great RPG and what fails to inspire. In the end, Dungeon Lords was born out of the desire to build a better RPG for gamers, to provide a great RPG experience that is fun for all. RPG's are probably the most challenging computer games of all to develop, and any RPG that gains recognition is going to be quite deserving of it, Gothic included and a host of others as well. However, Dungeon Lords departs in so many ways with traditional RPGs, there's really no purpose with comparsion."</em></blockquote>
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:33 am
Dhruin

Am I the only one frustrated with Dungen Lords interviews? I want to like it but all I hear is self-serving answers about Bradley's enormous experience, how it's his unique creation and how it's a "quantum leap" in RPGs. Nice. How so? About the only detail about why it's so deep is the oft-quoted 8 classes, 8 races (which actually only appears to 4, male and female).

Direct-action combat is not unique (Gothic just for starters) and that's the only genuine selling point that has been communicated to me in all the articles I've read. If it has similarities to Gothic 2, it would impress me more to hear it has life-like NPCs or a large, realistic, non-linear world than to say "there's really no purpose with comparsion".
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:47 am
Vival
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Dungeon Lords is uniquely my own creation and is not based upon any other games, p&p rpg or otherwise. As you might imagine, during the past several decades my approach to creating leading edge RPG and my computer game design philosophy has evolved quite a bit, and Dungeon Lords is a quantum leap, the crowning achievement of a lifetime's worth of experience to create a new class of RPG that really takes you there.

Translation: Don't dare to compare my opus magnus to ordinary games, you infidels! I spent countless decades in a secluded monastery studying the secret arts of RPG-making in order to create a RPG so superior that it will lead mankind into a new era of roleplaying. Now bow down and show your respect!

Obviously, he also learned how to pimp a game during all these decades .
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:24 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I agree, Dhruin. D. W. Bradley and Cleve almost sound like twins. The only difference is that DW has released product out there to back some of his boasting That said, W&W was a much lesser game than the Wizardry games. I'm thinking that DW needs to be supervised to be at his best.
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:52 pm
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

I really dont care what he says, as long as the game turns out to be halfway decent. Lol.
Post Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:43 pm
Eevle

Decode his interview!

DWB is really just speaking in marketing code, use this handy guide to translate what he's saying.

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2220

Enjoy!
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:11 am

Eevle

Here's the one I was looking for:

Specifically, I think we should refer to this one:

Quote: "A compelling new title from the creator of (one game you liked that was made ten years ago)."

Indicates: A gaming god has descended from the heavens to craft a game that's even better than the one that made him famous.

True Meaning: Run. Run fast and hard. Move at night under the cover of darkness, and take whatever rest you can manage during the daylight hours. They purposely forgot to mention the games he created between his masterpiece and now; failures in every sense of the word that sucked because his over inflated ego led him to believe that he could make even the most ambitious and convoluted ideas work.

(This re-posted from www.somethingawful.com, compiled by Ryan "OMGWTFBBQ" Adams from theif forum posts.)
Post Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:16 am