UE- access violation - no warnings!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
jedifreeman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

ok, get this.

got the game, installed it to D: drive (real second HD, not a multi-partitioned drive). Went to start the game, it would hang at the loading pic. I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and it says Gothic(not responding) in the list. ok, so i go and check the site and this forum for issues like mine.

sure enough, i find a few...one is the D drive thing, so i uninstalled/reinstalled on C drive. no help. another thing i saw was the 1.08k patch for radeon cards (which i have, radeon 7200). so i download, install, no help. then i also notice the disable fog for ati cards, so i go into the ini file in the gothic dir and disable fog, no help.

the only reason i discovered what the error was is because i opened the gothic.rpt file in the gothic dir to see what it was, sure enough, error page, unhandled exception - access violation module gothic.exe.

system specs:
p3 650 proc
192 mb ram
radeon 7200 32mb agp card (latest drivers)
sb audigy card (latest drivers)
win98se
directx 8.0

does anyone have any other ideas on this? my last resort right now is to defrag, if that doesnt work then i am stumped. let me know at my email or just post it here, thanks.

AIM: EldrianV

[ This Message was edited by: jedifreeman on 2002-01-20 20:39 ]
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:38 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Radeon 7200? Is this the repackaged Radeon VE with DualHead?

You tried almost everything possible. The last thing to try is the first fix for the new Radeon cards.
Plug a second device in your ATI to get access to the multimonitor features, activate them and try to start Gothic.

If it doesn´t start return the game or mail PB.

Good luck.
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 5:02 am
jedifreeman
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

actually, after literally spending ALL nite scandisking and defragging i started it up this morning and it ran....i was surprised to say the least, that the game has such buggy code that it cannot run on a hard drive that is the least bit fragmented.

as for the radeon 7200, it is usually packaged as the radeon ddr 32mb card, one of the earlier radeons i believe.

well, thanks for the help and input, even those that posted on other topics that helped me. thank you.

AIM: EldrianV
Post Mon Jan 21, 2002 7:09 pm
Jukariz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I am also getting the Access Violation error but it is at start up. I will enter and load my game. Just when it is almost completed loading i am kicked back to windows and get an Access Violation message. I am using a GeForce 2 and WinXP so i dont think the patch will do any good for me.
Post Sun Jan 27, 2002 6:14 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Do you have an ASUS card with o/c tools?

Most people with GeForce2 cards have no problems with Gothic.
Post Sun Jan 27, 2002 12:36 pm
Jukariz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Not sure what board i have in this system. I am running a Geforce2 Go on my Gateway laptop. Other than the persistent crashing and the access violation problem the game runs extremely smoothly. Since i last posted i just started a new game and it runs fine again. Then after about 4 hours access violation again (

Post Mon Jan 28, 2002 2:55 am