Members
Usergroups
Chinese Authorities Launch Crackdown On MMOGs
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Ochmak

be adult

I think Chinese government is doing wise not allowing their minors to do PvP for a profit and to submerge their life too much into "virtual reality". Just my personal opinion as a 47 years old PhD veteran of MMORPGs having 2 adult sons and sometimes sharing game space with 12-years old kids.
As a person, who has spent enough time both in communist environment (Soviet Union) and in ultra-capitalist environment (USA) I think that each nation has its own way of life that should not be easily judged by outsiders. I think both models have their ups and downs and nobody possess a recepie for absolute truth. I have to admit, objectively, that modern China beats everyone, be that USA, Russia, Japan or whoever else, economically and politically - sad fact for non-Chinese like me, but fact. So, you may not agree with them but you owe to respect them. Particularly, they may just want their poor citizens not to spend their lives and money for American virtual chewingum
Along the lines, I know dirty words in 3 languages (English, German and Russian) and (if necessary) can use them in a very diligent and devastating way. But I learned that you should know WHEN, WHERE and HOW to use them.
Now, to the point. I think that the posting we are discussing here is a pathetic, childish, nationalistic, ideologically colored outburst of dirty-worded hatred that does not deserve any longer existence on these forums.
So, my conclusion is to erase this thread to the shame of its author.
Let's play the games.
Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:51 am

Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:02 am
Hedek
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I guess, as long as it's coherant... I mean if violent movies and TV are well censored in China it would sound logical to have MMORPGs restricted.

But by any means MMORPG sound to me at the very bottom of the priority list of "harmful things".

I don't know China, I don't know how their society is, what sort of things children face there, but if for example such a law was taken in a country I'm used to, like a north american or western european I would be to say the least surprised they target MMORPGs and don't do anything about the very violent and explicit movies, TV shows, music or even CNN like news that can contain very offensive images.

So many things affect how children grow up, it's the entire society they live in that shapes them. If Chinese kids grow up in a "clean" environment where MMORPGs are the only dirty spot I guess it's fine if they try to wipe it.

Watching it with occidental eyes, yes it's definitely a very foolish action, how well does it suit the chinese society, I'm not sure but I still can't convince myself how dangerous mmorpgs are. If chinese kids can't understand this is just a game, that they can't make the difference between virtual blood feast and real life, perhaps the problem is bigger and by all means lies elsewhere.

I've killed (and got killed by) my friends so many times in game (Counter Strike, DAoC, Guild Wars, etc), yet I never even hit any of them irl. Scarface and Pulp Fiction, those 2h movies actually taught me more violence and other "very bad things" than my over 1000h of playing mmorpgs in my life since I was 15.
15 is quite young, actually right when your personality really developes, when your adult personality starts appearring. I ended up (if anyone cares) growing up as (I believe so) very peaceful and calm person studying law, having caring calm friendly "always there for me when I needed them" parents definitely played a big role in that and outweighed anything else including playing those "bad mmorpgs", watching those bad movies and listening to that bad slipknot, system of dawn, rage against the machine music (or any other "rebel teen" sound I used to listen to at that time).
Post Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:20 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2