Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
POR2 My 2 cents
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread

I was fortunate enough to get a copy of POR2 for 14.99 at Best Buy, they mispriced it. After reading everything goi9ng on with the game I was afraid to spend 50 bucs on it, but 14.99 i will go for that.

Everyone i see blasting the game appears to focus on the tech issues or the lack of features they expected.
A good example is Feats.
A lot of people wanted to be able to choose their own feats. UbiSoft decided to instead have the feats automatically assigned when you gain a level.
This is the only item I cannot see why they did it this way. Everything I can explain or have reason to overlook or whatever. but then again, I don't care that my feats are chosen me. Eventually i will get all the feats that my class is able to use. So its all good.

I have heard that Range Spells and Missle weapons are for the most part inefficient due to the fact the enemy moves in melee range.
I disagree.
I feel they are very useful.
My sorcer and my Ranger use missle weapons. My sorcerer usually misses with his +2 sling, but at least he is doing something.
My Ranger hits half the time with her +1 Dwarven Steel longbow.
The reason i disagree is simple. You can move your character, then shoot. As long as the walk icon has a plus next to it, you can move the character then shoot, swing or cast.
The less your character is carrying, the more distance he or she can move before casting, shooting or swinging.
So I disagree with the inefective missle combat theory.
This is a tacticle Combat game based on D&D so think tacticle.

Another thing is the OS wipes. Yes this sucks, but according to UbiSoft all the people who have had this issue where running 3rd party programs that manipulate files and data on the drive like Clean Sweep or Norton Utilities Undelete or whatever.
So the way I see it, the game was not designed to work well with Clean Sweep. i want my money back. Thats silly. They cannot possibly test the game with every application ever designed for the windows desktop besides only people with nothing better to do with their money and time would play with and run clean sweep. I have never needed it and never will.
QA's job is to insure the game works as it was intended and as it was advertised. It is advertised to work on a PC with this OS, that Graphic Card, this processor and That 3rd party app that thrashes the hard drive, no wait, it says nothing about 3rd party apps.

The save game bug is an issue that slipped by QA as is the install to another drive thing. Install to another drive, Minor bug. Save game bug, major issue.

I really like the game so far and feel that more people will agree as they play it more and experience the battles, scenery and effectsw that the game has. It is 100 hours of D&D lovin that is fun and interesting. Thats all i want from a PC game.
To have Fun and be interested.
Post Tue Oct 02, 2001 5:55 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Well, actually, I didn't say that I don't like the game in my first impressions. It's just not delivering what was expected. For a hack and slay: yes, it is some fun. Could be more fun, IMHO - but I am really waiting for my experience in the multiplayer game playing solo

Post Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:17 pm
Annelid
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

The has no depth! They should have named it dungeon hack of myth drannor.

Post Wed Oct 03, 2001 5:25 am
Draszmar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Anonymus, finally someone who appreciates the game as it is. You took the words right out of my mouth about the ranged combat.

I think people are used to the Infinity Engine right now and don't appreciate and/or are not able to play tactical round-based combat right now. I think the combat is very similar to the combat in the old GoldBox series and you should play it like this.

People, let this game grow on you, give it a chance! Only this way we can get sequels, where the D&D-rules are better implemented.
Post Thu Oct 04, 2001 7:35 am

I bought the game. I think i'm pretty patient about its flaws, but i have severe difficulties playing it.
I CAN'T SAVE, I CAN'T LOAD!!!!!
When i press save or load, it kicks me out to the desktop. I have p3 550, 256 mb ram, riva tnt2, and i'm pissed off!!!
well, it looks like i'll be playing throne of darkness, it aint something special, but its better than this crap
Post Thu Oct 04, 2001 8:39 am

Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Hope the recent announced upcomming patch(es) from the developers will fix the problems. It seems like it have high priority. Not that it makes it alright to make these bugs in the first place, but maybe it can put some value in a game you already have spent money on!
Post Thu Oct 04, 2001 12:00 pm