Usergroups
Character plans / multiplayer
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Isn't multiclassing a bit overrated? You might end up with a character that's not good at anything. There is no game to compare it with I think. The only one I know something of is IWD2 and there a party of multiclassed characters is ALWAYS worse than a party of single classed characters.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:24 pm
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

There is a limit of up to 3 classes for each character in NWN athough all classes can be multi-classing.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 9:38 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

Is there turn based combat in Nwn? (Please say no! )
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:00 pm
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

quote:
Originally posted by sauron38
Is there turn based combat in Nwn? (Please say no! )

Should I reveal the truth?

*dodging the incoming tomatoes*
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:06 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

*Gulp*

How will my mage run away and let the big fighters kill the giant troll of many... uh... arms? Only to backstab the fighters, take their items, and cast the troll into oblivion with one incantation.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:09 pm
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

There are skills to taunt the monsters, unarm and knockdown opponents, dodges, parry etc, but I don't know how effective the skills will be.
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:20 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

The role that skills play in pen and paper D&D largely depends on the DM and the character. Ask a Rogue if skills are important and you'll get a "Hell yeah!" because that's where hide, move silent, open locks, search, spot, listen, tumble, balance, jump, disable device and countless others critical to a rogue surviving are.

Ask a fighter who gets a measly two points a leve and he'll probably just blink at you.

Especially since there are no Prestige Classes in NWN, which have skill level requirements and such.

As for multiclass (takes a DEEP breath)

Unlike previous editions taking multiple classes doesn't hurt at all (some would put the provision in 'Unless you're a spellcaster' who tend to be specialized, thus generalizing with multiple classes harms).. unless you take too many or advance them with a large gap between them (more than two levels difference for each class). Of course, the more you generalize the less you are specialized. Let's look at my lizardman Ranger/Barb/Rogue/Fighter

- He's currently level 2 in each, so there's no experience penalty.
- He's a level 8 character, which means he has the skill maximum ranks and character feats and attribute points (1 at level 4, and one at level 8... both of which went into dexterity). Just like the rest of the party.
- He has the attack bonus of a level 7 fighting class (6 from adding Fg/Rg/Brb, 1 for being a second level rogue), so he lost out on a +1 to hit advantage that a straight level 8 ranger, fighter, or barbarian would have had.
- He can Rage for a +4 strength and con once per day
- He has evasion, which allows him to complete negate some types of damage on a successful saving throw
- if he flanks or surprises someone he can sneak attack for an extra +1d6 damage
- he can fight with two weapons like a ranger
- he has two extra feats for being a fighter
- He has 2d12 + 2d10 + 2d10 + 2d6 hit points, plus constituition bonus
- he has a wide selection of skills that most rangers, fighters, and barbarians wouldn't have
- he has a barbarians +10 movement

Those are the bonuses. Pretty hefty... when he's not falling out of trees (I'm notorious for rolling '1' on climb or balance checks) he's pretty effective.

Now, to compare:
- If he were a straight Ranger he'd have spells by now, 8d10 hit points + con, and a favored enemy (+1 to hit and damage)
- If he were a straight barbarian he'd be immune to sneak attacks, be able to rage more often, and have 8d12 + con hit points
- If he were a straight fighter he'd have three more feats, and 8d10 + con hit points
- If he were a straight Rogue he'd be immune to sneak attacks, have a much larger sneak attack modifier (+3d6 or 5d6.. one of the two... I don't have my books on me), a LOT more skill points, and 8d6 + con hit points.

So to compare:
- I have less hit points than a fighter, ranger, or barbarian of my level... but more than a rogue.
- I have some mobility advantages that a fighter couldn't dream of, but not as many as a Rogue or Barbarian of my level would have
- I have far fewer feats than a fighter of my level, and thus would get stomped if I tried to directly fight one
- I have probably HALF the skill points I would if I were a straight rogue... but I can get into combat and survive better than a rogue of my level, which lets me sneak attack more often (even if it's less damage)

Was it a fair trade off? Up to an individual to decide. I didn't do it for power... I did it for style. He was raised a barbarian, then was taught how to ranger by a party member. Once he moved into the city he adapted his ranger skills to adjust and became a rogue. Finally he apprenticed himself to the party's fighter to learn the arts of war to refine his style (and stop getting clobbered after he fell out of the tree!).

No matter what, he's unique. There's not another fighter like him in the party.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:25 pm
Pinnen
Wearer of the Hat
Wearer of the Hat

I got to tell you, that this thread is WAY too technical for me. You lost me after the sixth-or-so post.
Anyhow, I plan on playing goodish rogue or fighter. Donīt care much for magic.

CrossTopicBaner
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:29 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Back to an earlier post - I hadn't played 3rd Ed much (and not at all in 1.5 yrs), and so checked up on the ranger class. It does look a little weak stacked up next to a fighter - the only real advantage being 4 skill pts/lvl vs 2 for a fighter.

I would probably play a multi class with fighter to get a few of the archery feats on the cheap, but still maintain that overall "ranger" flavor.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 11:51 am
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I don't know anything about the classes at all (2d12, 2d10, 2d10, 2d6, 8d12 ?!? ). I just hope I can play my little archer/thief, preferably an Elf.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:12 pm
mDrop
High Emperor
High Emperor

heh

Roleplaying language is sometimes a bit cryptic to follow.

1d6, 2d12 etc are used when describing the dice rolls you make. The format is xdy, where x is the number of times you get/have to roll the dice and y is the type of the dice, for example a d6 is your standard cube, d10 is a ten-sided die etc..

I'm pretty sure you never even wanted to know that, but I just had to explain

- Member of The Nonflamers' Guild -
- Member of The Alliance of Middle-Earth -
- Worshiper of Written Word -
- Proud supporter of E.H.U.A.O -
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:28 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Thank you... it makes more sense now that I know there is more than one kind of dice.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 2:18 pm
Thorvar
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I'll be weighing in with Thorvar Bjornson (Viking archetype). He has been a mercenary warrior in a PBEM game, a barbarian in D2, a Norse Thane (my truest vision for him yet) in DAoC Midgard of course, and currently a barbarian Shaman of the Six Hammers on EQ (Tarew Marr server, level 56). I would like to make him something of a warrior with maybe a few minor spellcasting abilities (not a ranger or paladin however). Having never played 3rd ED, not sure if this can be done...
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:32 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Thorvar
I'll be weighing in with Thorvar Bjornson (Viking archetype). He has been a mercenary warrior in a PBEM game, a barbarian in D2, a Norse Thane (my truest vision for him yet) in DAoC Midgard of course, and currently a barbarian Shaman of the Six Hammers on EQ (Tarew Marr server, level 56). I would like to make him something of a warrior with maybe a few minor spellcasting abilities (not a ranger or paladin however). Having never played 3rd ED, not sure if this can be done...

Of course it can be done! Take a few levels of Magic User and the rest in Fighter types .... Very viable character.

The best part of 3ed is the multiclass rules - they are very clean and usable.
Post Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:39 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2