Should I try Morrowind?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - General

Author Thread
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

Should I try Morrowind?

I am a fan of Gothic&Gothic2 games.Should I buy Morrowind?
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:11 pm
Jung
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

You will likely be disappointed by MW, but some people like MW and G games, so I can't say don't try it. I never had the magical experience that many reviewers and players reported.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:24 pm
Allanon
Village Leader
Village Leader

I thought I'd try MW while waiting for the G2 addon here in the States. Well, I'm having a blast with this game. There is much more to explore in MW than Gothic but Gothic has other elements that make it great. I would definitely recommend getting MW. Now if only Thief 3 would come out.
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:00 pm
Korplem
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

No... No, you probably shouldn't try it.

-The Prince of Nothing
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:03 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

We've ended up with overlapping threads, so rather than retype, I'll direct you here for additional responses.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:27 pm
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

I bought Morrowind today.First impresion.....hhhmm.....I think I need some advises from the experts here:
1)Do I have to play it with the mouse?
2)Some quick infos about the menus,who to use them
3)Do I always have to "see" through the heroes eyes?
4)Very complex game.......how to make it simplier 'cause it took me forever to understand all the tribes and skills and.......any suggestions on how to build up my character at the beggining.(I want something more to a mage).
5)I dont know if I catch it up but I was a prisone set free?
6)...and give or send me too some links with details if I am asking to much.
By the way the game seems challenging and from what I hear for its lenght, very terrifying.
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:20 pm
DarkWeaver
A Dark Prince
A Dark Prince

Use tab to see the you call hero
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:03 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

1) Yep, play with the mouse.

2) Inventory, Magic, Map and Stats. The manual should describe how to use each menu, so the only hint I think I can give is not to drag and drop items in the inventory screen - click to pick up and click again to drop.

3) As said, tap TAB to go into third person mode. Hold down TAB to look around your character with the mouse.

4) There's some good advice in these forums - what specifically are you after? I recommend reading through the skill descriptions and levelling information in the manual very carefully, then just jump in and see how you go. If you decide you don't like your character, make a new one. Read through the Character Creation thread for some good tips.

5) Yes, you were a prisoner (crime unknown), but the Emperor has mysteriously set you free and told you to meet with a man called Caius Cosades. The plot thickens...

6) It's a very big game, but you shouldn't be concerned. You aren't able to do everything, so just do what you're interested in doing. There is a main quest that you can complete, but you don't have to do any of it if you don't want to.
Post Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:56 am
Fantaghiro
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I wouldn't recommend you buy MW if you have ANYTHING else you should be doing. I've found it to be totally addictive - I spend all my free time playing it.
Post Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:03 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Yes, buy it ASAP if you are any type of an RPG player, you should at least get some enjoyment out of it. If anything, it's a budget title now, and youll kick yourself if you never see what all the fuss is about. Ive been playing it for months, just about the only title I have played.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:07 am
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Yea, you should immediatly buy this game and both Expansions. Then proceed to get divorced, dump your girlfriend, drop out of college, quit your job, and jack in like a crack-monkey for the next 18 months of your life. After mere 300 hour relationship with this piece of software...you may come to the conclusion that all RPGs in the history of gaming suck compared to this Behometh...and yes...that includes Daggerfall.
Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:31 am
Shifter
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

quote:
Originally posted by kengo2019
Yea, you should immediatly buy this game and both Expansions. Then proceed to get divorced, dump your girlfriend, drop out of college, quit your job, and jack in like a crack-monkey for the next 18 months of your life. After mere 300 hour relationship with this piece of software...you may come to the conclusion that all RPGs in the history of gaming suck compared to this Behometh...and yes...that includes Daggerfall.

Lol.

Post Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:21 am