Everquest 2-Excited?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Vorador
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Everquest 2-Excited?

Hey everyone, I used to play Everquest, and all was well, but the lvling was too hard, so I moved on to Dark Age of Camelot. It was fun, but I always thought about EQ, so I quit DAoC too. That was a couple years ago, and now, EQ2 is coming out. (not very soon, but I know it is) I have gone on to a few sites, and the graphics are amazing, and it looks like a much better game. since i am older and wiser now then I was a couple years ago, I think I could master the lvling thing much more than I could before, so I am thinking about getting it when it comes out. Is anyone else excited about this?

Vorador

P.S. If you played EQ in the past, please list some lvling tips that you have used to get to higher lvls. Thanks

Noble? Do I look like a noble knight to you?

=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth, the Nonflamers' Guild, the Sixth House, the RPGDot Warriors, and Digger of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:50 pm
Shadeling
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

When I read its preview on IGN, I became excited simply because of the Tradesman class which will actually allow you to advance your character through non-combat means. You will also be able to own real estate. After rpgs, economic strategy games come in a close second for me so if EQ2 actually has those elements when it launches, I'll probably be signing up.

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allen Poe
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:55 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I am not even beginning to get excited about this one. Know why? Because EQ sucked! Gameplay sucked, camping sucked, graphics sucked, economy sucked, everything sucked. I'd rather play something a lot cooler, like STAR WARS GALAXIES hahahahaha
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:28 am
Provis
High Emperor
High Emperor

I, for one, am looking foward to EQ2, it sounds like a cross between UO and EQ. Being able to enjoy the game without grouping and going on dungeon crawls is what I'm looking foward to most.
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:03 am
Vorador
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Yes, I agree with you, but sometimes the dungeon crawling was fun. But the thing I like most about EQ that's going to make me want to go back is the fact that the game had a lot of realism in it, I mean you were in a party of people, and they were all counting on you to do your job. And if you didn't do your job, then they died, and so would you, and dying SUCKS. This is ok though, because it would make you much more careful, and having that awareness when you are playing made the game go to a deeper lvl of RPG.

-Vorador

Noble? Do I look like a noble knight to you?

=Member of the Alliance of Middle-Earth, the Nonflamers' Guild, the Sixth House, the RPGDot Warriors, and Digger of the RPGDot Shadows=
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:12 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Can't get excited over something that doesn't exist.

But if one could, then there is plenty of other things to get excited before EQ2 would get its turn. Star Wars: Galaxies, Asheron's Call 2, Shadowbane, etc.
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:36 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

To be honest, I do not wait Everquest 2 at all. I haven't read much about it either. I've played all the other big (modern) MMORPG titles except Everquest.

I played UO, Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot but not EQ. I was a betatester for all of the above now I am doing betatesting for Asheron's Call 2 and Shadowbane. I do not know why I missed Everquest totally. But by the time I wouldve had time (from AC1, I was a big AC1 junkie EQ was not looking good anymore and DAoC had taken my interests. I got bored on DAoC very good and since everyone said it has pretty much similar feeling than EQ I did not even bother to try it.

I think I will give a chance for EQ 2, so I will try it atleast when it is available.
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:07 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

Not even in the most passing way.
''Perhaps I'm old and tired but I always think that the chances of finding out what really is going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say hang the sense of it and just keep yourself occupied. Look at me: I design coastlines. I got an award for Norway.''--Slartibartfast
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 5:45 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I personally do not get excited about any MMORPG anymore, as a rule. Things are just much too messy in that arena. And when the game comes out, I try to wait at least a few months before I enter it, if I decide to try it. They can be such nightmares sometimes at first that it's easy for me not to get excited about them anymore
Post Thu Jul 18, 2002 6:57 pm
Shadeling
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I play Everquest now, off and on. What really drives the game for me are the trade skills. Without them, the kill kill kill level kill kill kill level routine would get really old really quick for me. I love being able to create things and nothing feels better than creating my own equipment. I dig dat.

"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." - Edgar Allen Poe
Post Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:43 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

DAoC had pretty decent trade skills too, but eventually it was also doing the same routine all over again and waiting for the items to get ready. But however, it was complex enough to keep many of us attracted.

I really hope that this trend continues in modern MMORPG games. Atleast I am totally bored for the all-time-kill-kill-and-kill-again treadmill.
Post Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:24 am
Shadeling
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I heard that the level of adventure on DAoC isn't quite as developed as Everquest because the main goal of DAoC is to get powerful enough to PvP. Since I don't care for PvP at all, I just never felt the urge to try DAoC.

Post Sun Jul 21, 2002 5:26 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

I just noticed that this is so I'll start a new thread about DAoC adventuring experience...

The tread is here

DAoC discussion
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:31 am
Early Q
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Ekim
I personally do not get excited about any MMORPG anymore, as a rule. Things are just much too messy in that arena. And when the game comes out, I try to wait at least a few months before I enter it, if I decide to try it. They can be such nightmares sometimes at first that it's easy for me not to get excited about them anymore

Agreed, its not that they don't provide everything that has been hyped by Verant or whoever.
Its just that the gaming environment is always changing, I prefer to adapt my gameplay to a style then play it to the end - without players named 'Dude Love' chirrping 'U Sux!' all the time.

Thats why I have quit the MMOG buisness, period.

Shadowbane didn't look bad, but the graphics are looking dated now. And the beta dooesn't seem to be moving anywhere. I did apply but it was probably with some old email account, probably have an acceptance user and pass lingering on some hotmail server .

For as long as possible I'm going to stick with single player. Although I am still totally open minded. I'll look at the reviews for Shadowbane, and from what I've read about EQ2 being a UO/EQ cross then I might give that a look.

Not going to hold my breath though.
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 10:44 am
Xanaki
Ghost of Asheron
Ghost of Asheron

quote:
Shadowbane didn't look bad, but the graphics are looking dated now. And the beta dooesn't seem to be moving anywhere. I did apply but it was probably with some old email account, probably have an acceptance user and pass lingering on some hotmail server

I got a "Welcome to the Shadowbane beta" letter about two weeks ago. I am still hesitating about joining it though (I need to send the NDA in if I want to). I'm already in AC2 beta and I think it will suck me in deeper and deeper leaving no time for other games. Besides as you said, Shadowbane really looks outdated. Even I do not actually care much about the high end graphics but I do not like the PvP aspects in Shadowbane either.

However, I am still thinking of joining it...
Post Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:24 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next