Usergroups
Godhood ? (major storyline spoilers)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Morrowind - Spoilers

Author Thread
Nael
Village Leader
Village Leader

If there really isn't a way to become a god using the tools then this game is worse than I thought. If I had to describe Morrowind with an analogy I'd have to say MW is like a 2 feet deep ocean. ALL THE DAMN FILLER CRAP AND NO MULTIPLE ENDINGS!?!? GAAAAH!!! *puts morrowind back on the shelf for 6 months until the modders do something far more imaginative than Bethsoft could ever dream of*
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:49 pm
Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

2 foot deep? Oh crap, that's not deep enough to take any damage off from my fall... Uh,nevermind.

Ppl have been complaing since almost the begining about the lack of multile endings. I guess one way to look at it is the main quest is just another plotline, to go along with the house and guild quests. Plus, the game doesn't exactly end.

It is a very weak ending though.

How did sauron38 know that anonymous was called ryan?
Post Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:12 pm
Nael
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Prgrmr@wrk

How did sauron38 know that anonymous was called ryan?

Cuz sauron38 knows the kagrenac boogy

(he's a moderator, he can see anyone's IP )
Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 1:35 am
Prgrmr@wrk
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

I knew he was a mod, just didn't know what special "abilities" he had access to.
Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 2:00 am
The BortiiS
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Uh.

I played Daggerfall, I also played Redguard (if you like Morrowind, you should also play Daggerfall AND Reguard. About Redguard: this is a 3D game, similar in "format" to Morrowind, but it's more of a 3D action/adventure game than being some kind of "role-playing" game like Daggerfall. You play as a character, Cyrus, and you gotta find your missing sister on the large island kindgom of Strokh M'Kai (or something like that), part of Hammerfell province.

THIS GAME IS COOL, because it is VERY DETAILED and IMMERSIVE with the characters.
There must be 20 hours of voice acting in this game!
I'm not kidding!
I spent like 30 minutes talking to some characters about different things (similar to Morrowind, in that conversation subject items just keep "branch-out", well, it's f-ing chronic in this game).

The voice acting is good and you get a better "feel" for the "Elder Scrolls"-universe.
The artwork and all that is very detailed and creative, colorful, just like Morrowind is.

Unfortunately, characters in Morrowind are rather "static' and just stand around and have no depth, just a bunch of text to read, all the same ol' stuff.
In Redguard, there was just alot more going with the characters with HORDES of voice-acting. I don't think I've ever seen a game with this much voice acting!

A few interesting things about Redguard (which came out like 5 or 6 years ago, if not more, I think):
-In the game's manual, it's set up like an Imperial guide-book, and in one part, it talks about each province of the Empire and shows some drawings of things in those provinces. For the one on Morrowind, it's cool, they have pictures of Silt Striders and dark-elves with that ashlander-look and gear, and architecture we've come to see in the game Morrowind. I thought that was cool to see, unless they had already had it planned to make Morrowind when they printed the manual!
-Part of the plot of the game invloves the empire's aggressive, thirst for Dwarven artifacts, and on this island kindgom, they find some ruins, so there is a whole "missing-Dwemer'-thing even in this game too! There is even this one place, some observatory I think, that looks uber-cool with giant gears and colorful goldish-orbs and stuff rotating around and all (crap, just go find some screenshots of Redguard!), etc.
-Imperial guards in Morrowind look about the same as the guards in Redguard. A few cosmetic differences (well, that's fine, cuz Hammerfall is all desert-like).
-the voice actors for most (if not all) of the Khajiit and male Redguards in Morrowind do the voice acting for some main characters in Redguard, which I thought was good voice acting in that game, so it was nice to hear those familiar voices in Morrowind, although Morrowind has almost no-voice acting (Dagoth Ur is weak voice acting, he looks all big and brutal but talks like a snooty pansy!
-Because the Elder Scrolls has just a deep, detailed, history, that seems to be quite consistent and upheld with each game, you could probably play Redguard and learn about things in Morrowind that might help you out in some small way, or get a "better understanding" of the dynamics of Tamriel and all. I recommend getting Redguard simply for this reason, as I feel Morrowind is just alot of running around and reading things.
-Lots of secrets and hidden areas like in Morrowind and Daggerfall.

You just have to play Redguard and see what I mean, you really get a "feel" for the world.
Like, I found these stairs behind one building that went down to this door.
I went to open the door and knocked on it and same guy on the other side goes,"What's the password?"
And you pick what you think or whatever and you hear the main character say what you choose for him to say and then the guy is like,"Go away".
Or I bumped into this drunk guy staggering (and sometimes passing out) down this one street and had some sort of conversation with him.
Or, this one Elf had a store (and similar to Morrowind, you can look at something and "pick-it-up", uh, sort of), and I had this long conversation with him (like I said, must have like 20 hours of voice-acting in this game!!!), and he had a fricken parrot on a stand that would interrupt at times and make comments and all. Kinda funny, but the game actually lets you have a dialogue with the parrot! Cool! Funny, cuz you can actually pump the parrot for information if you figure him out.
I also suspect that this game uses the same engine as Morrowind, just with older graphics and all for being from an older time--very good/ahead for its time.

OH, I FORGOT, this is about that Heart and becoming a god.

It's probably very probable that you could probably figure out a way to become a god in this game, or figure out how to do other things.
I would not have a doubt in this after playing Daggerfall and even Redguard, but Morrowind has things that are rather "anti-Daggerfall" or "anti-linear" in the sense that you can't kill certain "important" characters.
While the game will continue and all, this is still a big limitation in some respects and the fact that there are some characters you "shouldn't kill or it ruins the game", is an endorsement of linear-gameplay, them trying to force you to play the game a certain way.

So what if I kill some guy like Crazy Bolius or whatever.
It should still be possible for me to destroy Dagoth Ur and the Heart or do whatever must be done.
They could have easily made the game possible to win even if you killed these "important" characters.

And just on the game-world practical side: so, let's say you kill Vivec and find the wraithguard, but the game only tells you it's some unique dwermer artifact. GEE, I guess you can't beat the game cuz you don't have him to tell you what it is or whatever, you killed Vivec.
So what.
Even if you killed all the important characters on Vvardenfell, who is to say you couldn't just leave Vvardenfell and find someone else who could translate some text or tell you what some object is or what they think you should do.

CRAP, I already know what I have to do to beat the game without playing much of the main quest. I just "figured it out on my own" IN THE GAME, I have my own conclusions and ideas and all on what the answers are to some mysteries and all.
The game is almost like a "mystery"-game, and you are running around conducting an investigation (which is how Redguard was, even though there was some action too).

But I find it rather lame that you can't "investigate' and research things on your own without having to follow some linear-ass "main-quest".

SO, because Morrowind's "main-quest" is like that, I have doubts that they would let you figure out how to become a god.
On the other hand, maybe they'll surprise me.
Doesn't hurt to try!

If you remember Deus Ex, you would be given an objective.
Your goal is to accomplish that objective however, which way you can.
Your goal WAS NOT to "talk to person A, go to person B, kill person C, activate button D, pull switch E, then you have goal-accomplished".

If it's my goal to say, defeat Dagoth Ur, then I should have the ability to figure out my own way of doing it. Like, enchanting my own "tools" to do the job, or figuring out some Macgyver-type way to do what needs be done.
Like, I made Arch-Master of House Telvanni. Couldn't I get all the powerful Telvanni Wizards now, "supposedly", at my command, to forge some powerful weapons and items to destroy the heart? Or, couldn't I gather a small army and assault Dagoth Ur? I mean, crap, my character alone could storm into it and take out all the baddies in my way, I think a dozen of the strongest wizards would be some help!
Maybe we could, encircle the guy and attack him all at once.
Or, maybe we could do the "Arcanum-Void-Banishing" thing, and surround him and send him to that alternate-universe realm, Oblivion (I think it was referred to as).
OR, how about we just collapse the dungeon fortress and trap him there.
OR, do the "GOTHIC-thing" and create a magical barrier around Dagoth Ur or on the doors, that seals his power and influence within it.

ALSO, if you remember in Daggerfall, you could summon the Daedra gods.
Why not just summon them and go,"Dagoth Ur is being an ass, Vivec is a jerk. Can you guys 'take care of them' for us?"
OR, maybe you can do something for them and in exchange, they (those Daedra gods) give you a powerful item capable of curing corpus or destroying the heart (maybe, this was possible, and that's why they left Daedra-summoning out of this game!).
Post Sun Aug 04, 2002 9:38 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2