SWG: Useful Tips
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

SWG: Useful Tips

Thought I'd start a useful tips thread that everyone could contribute to here. Please stay on topic and discuss issues in a seperate thread if you see the need. Anyone that has any useful tip, please do so here so we can all share your knowledge and experience.

My tips:
-If you're crafting for XP and do not necessarily want or need the item, make sure you select the "practice" button on the final item creation window. The practice mode will use all the resources, without actually creating it, saving you some much needed space in your inventory. In return, practice mode gives you a 5% bonus to crafting XP!

-If you have the ability to harvest resources from animals, make macros to speed it up! /harvest hide, /harvest bone and /harvest meat will have the same effect as using the radial menu, only it will be much, much faster, and less of a pain when you're being affected by lag.

-You can craft while sampling resources. Maximize your time as an artisan!

That's all I can think of right now. Some of those I have learned from other players, or discovered on my own. It doesn't really matter where you found the tips you have, just share them!

PS: If enough people countribute, maybe this would be nice as a sticky thread?
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:41 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

- If you can heal, make sure you have '/healdamage self' macro set up and hotkeyed. You can use it without having to switch targets.
- If you have threaten or warning shot ability, make sure you USE it.
- Max damage is not the only attribute on the weapon that is relevant. Make sure you consider all attributes.
- As you start fighting higher level critters, make sure you have weapons that do different kind of damage, and always remember to pick the weapon that will do the most damage against the specific critter's defences.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:24 pm
Jack Sisco
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

-u can survey when running, or following someone.
-AlWAYS remeber to pay matenence on a harvester, or any type of structure.
-Prown gives accurasy and beter chance of not getting hit by a blaster, rifel, anything that has range.
-if ur in a group fighting, try to concentrate on one specific pool of the HAM bar to attack(much faster and less pain).
-u can Experiment on when usinga specific type of crafting tool(like food armor, structual) and only at a crafting station.
wave came.
Both: lol
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:49 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Just thought of another one that might seem obvious but which I forgot the other day and had a hard time finding...

- You can tip someone directly from your bank account (with a 5% charge though) by using the command /tip <amount> bank while having the person you wish to tip targeted.
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 7:25 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

heh..one of my favorites..

If you are in a city and use the /find command to locate a med ctr, cantina, or whatever...and you don't need the WP anymore, type /find clear to remove the WP and markers from your datapad. Very handy!

When out in the wild, try using the overhead map (default ctrl-M). Sometimes when you are on auto-run, you can suddenly be surrounded by a pack of aggro critters. Sometimes the overhead map seems to show spawns earlier than the radar, so you have some extra time to switch directions.

Check out the buffs you can get from food! Some of it is similar to the spice buffs (any druggies out there? ) but there are no negative side effects after the buff wears off.

And finally..not really a tip, but a plea..
TIP your doctors and entertainers!! I have many friends in those professions! They really appreciate your tips! Simply click on them, and /tip <amt>! If you are out of credits, offer them organics...and if NOTHING else, say THANK YOU! You'd be amazed how many ppl take these healers for granted!
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:25 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Sorry about not being more original than just supplying a link but this link is too good to not be shared in a topic like this . Anyway, I bookmarked this thread at the official forums a while back. It's grown to a full 11 pages of "Did you know...?" tips. Very helpful. Check it out .
Post Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:36 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

- If you're bringing a knife to a gunfight, don't fear the reaper! Clone at the closest place and go until you drop dead. Most things can kill you in one or two shots if they hit your mind pool, so there's no sense in playing it safe. It takes guts to get in the face of something the size of the screen and say "You and me, right here, right now... there may be only one!"

- Consider at least novice entertainer. You can heal your own mind wounds while dancing or playing music at a cantina or campsite. In the field at a campsite the ability to heal mind wounds combined with novice doctor for /tenddamage or /tendwound can keep you going until you feel you've got enough battlefatigue to head back to down... or you die.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 1:52 am
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Can someone make this post sticky?
Post Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:28 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

- While we're giving links, a good tool for mapping out your character's future life is found by following this link to one of the best Character Builders around:

http://swgcb.yogn.net/swg-cb.php

- Placing things inside your house can be a little daunting sometimes. Use the commands /rotate and /move with the variables right/left and forward/back and a distance in number to place that furniture exactly where you want it to be! Example:
/move forward 5 (moves the item forward 5 steps relative to your position)
/rotate left 45 (rotates the item counter-clockwise 45 degrees on its own axis)
Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:17 pm
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

Har har har...

- In a small Tatoonian house, if you put cheap metal shelves in the back room, you can actually put stuff on its center shelf very easily. It just happens that the top of the 4 stairs leading into the back room is at the exact same height as that center shelf.

Speaking of houses and shelves... you guys should really come see my house. It's amazing! I had this (almost) master architect spend two days in my house decorating. I had the vision, she had the furniture... wow. It turned out better than I could've dreamed about. I don't think I'll be moving from there any time soon.
Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:07 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

This one is for the impatient among you who don't bother to read the patch notes .
Creature lairs drop loot now (as of the big update of August 13). The loot can only be obtained once per lair so when you're grouping make sure you're standing in the front row when the lair is about to go belly up .

Here are the two corresponding patch note entries:
quote:
  • Creature lairs now have a "Search Lair" option. This option may only be used once per lair.
  • Searching a creature lair may now yield egg resources or animal samples. The eggs can be used for food crafting

Post Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:10 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

Post Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:18 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

I just came accross a really nice website while browsing through the official forums!

The SWG Yellow Pages

It litterally is a compandium of registered shops that you can find on any server in SWG, pretty much like the yellow pages! If you have a shop, I would strongly suggest that you have it listed there. A lot of people, like me, browse through these things outisde the game, and unless you are a merchant with enough skill you can't have your shop listed on the in-game planetary map.

EDIT: Thanks to Val for making the thread sticky!!!
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:37 pm
Ekim
Eagle's Shadow
Eagle's Shadow

It just occured to me that not everyone knows that very essential trick:

To find out exactly how much HAM your target has, simply put your cursor over the target's HAM bars which are displayed on your heads-up display (not the one hanging over the mob's head). If you wait a couple of seconds, a little window that will display the HAM bar's numerical value will appear.

Very useful to gauge how long it could take to drop a mob!
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:28 pm