Worst Game Ever
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
youdie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Worst Game Ever

This game is excedingly boring. It is different form the other RPGs as the charcters classes and races are all different, but besides that it is too confuses, lacks life and is too different to get the hang of.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:30 am
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

LOL...
You know what man, the more I think about it, you're right.
And yet, I cant stop playing it.
I chalk more of that up lack of anything else to play than replayability.

The battles, even in continuous mode, are dreadfully long. If they could have scripts that ea class could follow throughout the battle, or at least memorized attacks would help speed up the battle (constantly re-directing my mages is too much). And to leave a battle you have to run like 2.4 miles for a decent escape.

The atmosphere, well we talked about that.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:34 pm
youdie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I Agree

I know what you mean the battlese are repetative and tedious, which i must say is very similar to the actual game. no suprise
Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:02 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Some people can handle the complexity, some people can't. To each his own.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:49 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

as for worst game ever, far from it.
You've got plenty more games fighting for that title, this one isnt even in the running
Post Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:56 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Wizardry 8 is very close to my best game ever. I understand that there are people that do not like it. But even people who do not like it can not believe that this is worst game ever.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:22 pm
Irf
High Emperor
High Emperor

First few hours into the game was terrible, but once I sped up the battles using continuous combat and 5x monster speed, it wasn;t too bad. I do like the way the game unfolds tho, only thing is I have to keep looking at a walk through quiet regularly, it's often not easy to figure out where you wanna go next, and i don't like exploring too much in this game cause of the repetitive battles, but somehow it is addcictive!
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:26 am
sealight4
City Guard
City Guard

More flavors than Vanilla

Stick with it! My first try was not impressive, the setup was new and the first fights had me scratching my head. I went back several months later and tried again.I've played thru 6 times and am currently soloing.
The Manual was written by people who love their game, the game is random and some new monsters appear each game. I can't stop! Lots of info available online also, people to talk to.
However if everyone liked this game maybe there would be a Wizadry9!
What is a "good" game to you?
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:28 am
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Wizardry 8, is certainly not for the keyboard-banger. It can be a harsh wakeup call for Diablo 2 and other RTS players, where you can put you mind on hold, and relax. Wizadry 8 is what I call a real CRPG from the good old days, where atmosphere, freedom, character building, +100 gaming hours, FPView, and complex turnbased combat has a high seat.
If You want something easier play Baldurs gate 2, or the easiest Planescape Thorment, which is mostly like reading a weird book, but the combat is very easy (and very boring I would say), but You don't need any complex strategy, and for the long long long and boring conversations, just keep picking the topics, until they all are gone, all most none of them have consequences, so You can't do anything wrong.
Wizardry 8's freedom and choises appeal a lot for replaying the game, more than most other games in the CRGP world, but it demands your wits, otherwise you will be crushed in no time.

Last edited by Michael C on Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:46 am
otter
One of Us

Post Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:01 am
_gator
High Emperor
High Emperor

I played the demo and thought this would be a good game. The Monastery was interesting and I got into the control/combat system fairly easy. So I bought the game. Everything went great until I hit the Arnika Road. I just could not beat two groups of crimson poppies and a group of bandits even after reloading about 5 times. I was starting to think does it get any easier from this point forward. After reading on the various Wizardry 8 boards, I realized that I could have developed by characters better (my spellcasters went for the direct damage spells in the traditional AD&D fashion instead of disabling spells, I also had a lot of hybrids who could not hit a thing) and that I could actually run away from an encounter. Armed with this knowledge, I created a new party and made it to Arnika without problems. I am currently on my 8th party and about to finish the game for the first time.

I have only been playing this game for 5 months now. Of all the games I have played before, I have never found one to be as addictive as Wizardry 8. I do not see where I will stop playing it anytime soon. This game always makes you think of different ways you could have developed your current party or to make new parties. After I finished my current game, I have at least 5 new parties that I want to try out.

I definitely put this game in my top five of all time. And it is the best character development/strategy that I have ever played. I am still discovering new things about this game all the time. Maybe this game will grow old eventually, but I believe that will be many years down the road. It was well worth the $29.99 that I paid for it. And it saddens me that this type of game is so rare. I will hold out some hope for Wizardry 9 or for any other game that can hold my attention for this long, but I am not counting on it.

Last edited by _gator on Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:46 pm
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Shame on you youdie

Youdie, HOW can you say this is the worst game ever??? This is the BEST game I have ever played, and I have been playing various RPG and other computer games, both online and off for over 13 years!!! Try going into options and tweeking your monster speeds or try setting your level to novice until you get use to the game...otherwise just get yourself a ps2 or xbox and become a click-addict! But don't dis this game
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:03 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Very well said, _gator. Counting nearly a month with the demo, I played Wiz8 for nearly a year. I took a couple weeks to fight with MM9 (take it from this M&M fanboy, MM9 is total crap), and about a month to try Morrowind (which never did grab me), but I kept coming back. Only the combination of burnout (I really didn't care for my third winning party) and NWN was enough to pull me away. During a recent gaming lull, I fired Wiz8 up again. Actually, it's kind of weird- I made it from the monestary to Arnika with only 3 encounters! I hit the bandits that are always there. I hit 2 wasps right before the house clearing. I hit about 8 weak plants (ironweed and redweed (don't think I've ever seen redweed before)) leaving the clearing. That's it. Clear passage all the way to Arnika. I couldn't believe it. Thing is, I hit Arnika with a party of level 4/5 instead of the level 7 the game designers planned for. If it weren't for picking up the NWN expansion today, I'd see how that affected things.

@shrewgirl- good to see you around. Thought you'd fallen off the face of the earth...
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:58 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Here's another I let slip by and now Im so hooked on it but can only find 2 decent boards for it on the entire internet
Fallout 2
OMG, Im so sorry I let this one slip by. Great game!!! Totally non-linear, different game everytime you make a char and the change from scenic country side to a mad max setting with guns and techno stuff was fantastic
Now (4 yrs later) I got the game just for an rpg fix and I love it
Anyone else play(ed) Fallout 2?
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:11 am
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Post about it in the General CRPG forum, and you'll be mobbed by fanatic fans.
Post Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:22 am

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next