RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

First impressions of Lionhart demo!

May contain some spoilers!!
………….

Feel free to add any comments here, own impressions and/or anything that struck you as unusual.

First of let me tell you that this DEMO shouldn’t reflect the upcoming game, although I don’t expect that my observations will change drastically after playing the full game. I’m including here the list of things I did and didn’t like it, so some implementations of various functions may have different effects for different players.

1. I have yet to find out the use pause function as useful. During paused game you have no option to give commands (unless I didn’t figure this out)

2. Combat is very Diablo like, although is enough to click once on your opponent and you character will keep on beating living crap out of him, but some enemies are faster than you so you have to have really fast response with your mouse. For ranged combat there are no penalties if your target is next to you.

3. I have no idea why you cannot overwrite saved games, good thing you can delete them.

4. Find traps/hidden treasures and lock-picking will became very useful during course of the game because you will receive experience points for successful finding/opening.

5. The biggest excitement I had so far was from creating characters. I couldn’t try different speech solution due to lack of speaking characters (there is very few in the demo). One quest gives you option to solve it with violence or avoid it (non-violent way gave more exp.). I’m looking forward to try this in the full version.

6. I definitely liked perks, there is a lot to chose from, traits are another story. Do you guys remember "gifted" from Fallots, well it won’t be as popular as in FO.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:00 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

I mostly agree with you, Seth.

(+) I liked character animations, they're very detailed. I loved the idea about having a spirit within (Demonic spirit sounds like Morte from P:T - which is always a good thing, right? ). Perks are numerous and remind of those good days, long time ago

Ok, I should stop sound like Jan Jansen now.

(-) I didn't like how inventory looks like. No paper doll? Or it is just me? Or it is just a demo? Backgrounds on first few maps are detailed enough... but... how to put it... quite dark and somewhat boring, I think. Combat is very Diablo-like. I hope it will have another taste in the full game. I didn't like the world map. It looks terrible, as if it came straight from Warcraft II.

These are impressions after only some 40 mins of play. I will update as soon as find out smth new.

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:24 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land

Firstly, this forum post on the Interplay boards today by one of the Reflexive designers might help put things in perspective.

quote:
Our demo is out? Holy cow! Why do I hear all of the exciting news from the boards?

A couple notes about the demo:

1. For all of you playing as mages, are you aware that you can pick up those little blue balls (tee hee, I said "blue balls") to get mana. depending on your PER, you can see them from further away. AFAIK, having "search" on won't affect the range at which you can detect them.

And, yes, the spells at the beginning are pretty weak, but as your skill improves so does the damage you do, so the starter spells should remain useful for most of the game.

2. The demo is very combat-heavy. Unfortunately, due to scheduling issues the demo was the last thing we worked on, and we did it by taking some maps out of the game, changing them, repopulating them, and hooking them up with one another in ways that many of them don't in the actual game. There wasn't really a chunk of the game that was ready "as is" to turn into a demo - the download would have been huge (a lot of hte work we did on the demo was figuring out which files we could cut to get it down to a "managable" 140 megs or so).

Since we were pressed for time we weren't able to write custom dialogue, let alone get it VO'd. In fact, some of the VO dialogue in the demo was spliced together out of context. Combat, however, is very easy to implement - it's quick to set up and requires relatively little QA support.

There are parts of the game that are as combat-heavy as the demo, and there are parts that aren't. The demo is a good representation of the former, but the latter is really only represented (feebly) by the merchant in the crossroads, who will respond to you differently depending on your character.

So, the demo is good for giving you a general feel of what the game looks like and how combat plays. It has some "low-level" monsters (and unfortunately includes our least-favorite - can you guess which?) and largely unscripted fights. It isn't, because of size and time issues, a complete look at the game.

Anyway, I generally agree with your comments. I quite like playing combat characters and I started to have fun with my fire-magic-wielding demokin but the mobs certainly close the gap *very* fast.

I don't mind the "dark" graphics - I honestly think this is an artistic choice intended to paint a rather bleak Europe ravaged by the Disjunction.

The little voice-acting was *excellent*. I quite enjoyed the sarcasm of my spirit.

Oh - there won't be a paper-doll, sorry. Can't remember why but the devs have covered this in some forum posts etc.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 1:20 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Dhruin
Firstly, this forum post on the Interplay boards today by one of the Reflexive designers might help put things in perspective.

Thank you, Dhruin. This one explains things a little.

quote:
I don't mind the "dark" graphics - I honestly think this is an artistic choice intended to paint a rather bleak Europe ravaged by the Disjunction.

Hmm... Maybe you're right. I have to see the whole game to decide, but you're most probably right.

quote:
The little voice-acting was *excellent*. I quite enjoyed the sarcasm of my spirit.

Uhum. And... Is it just me or BlackIsle / Bioware make their chars voices with same fancy accents? Several villains from BG2 sounded like Hannibal Lector from "The Silence of the Lambs", and something in the way this fire spirit spoke about ordering a dinner from the drunken guard was so very Lectorish, too

quote:
Oh - there won't be a paper-doll, sorry. Can't remember why but the devs have covered this in some forum posts etc.

It's a pity. I really like to see those 'paper dolls' in games. Actually I liked those big guys in M&M series (VI - VIII) - it was very nice to see how your gear looks like. In Lionheart's inventory I also disliked the fact that things themselves are so damn big. I can imagine how hard it can get to manage your stuff later in the game with lots of objects in your backpack.

Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:13 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Yes, inventory will have to grow on us.

I want to add two more things that it will take time to use to:

When you uncovered the whole (regional) map, the game doesn’t allow you to travel to the previous uncovered places (a’la every other IE game) in one big step if they are too far from your position.

Interface – well it might be to big, hiding it would be useful addition. Also I didn’t notice if the items on the ground would give that nice glow after pressing any key so we won’t miss it.

[EDIT]The W is for highlighting items, but doesn’t do very good job.[/EDIT]

@stanthony, Is Pikel your favorite character? The dwarf who wanted to become a druid. Mine is Artemis Entrei – assassin with growing conscience.

Last edited by Seth on Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:44 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Seth
Interface – well it might be to big, hiding it would be useful addition. Also I didn’t notice if the items on the ground would give that nice glow after pressing any key so we won’t miss it.

With regard to interface, I would also like if some buttons were bigger, though the interface itself could be smaller, true. I like big clear buttons Honsetly, it was quite a task for me to switch to P:T interface type after playing BG and IWD. OK, but buttons aside I really don't have any more complaints about Lionheart so far. I like it. And I certainly want more of it.

quote:
Is Pikel your favorite character? The dwarf who wanted to become a druid. Mine is Artemis Entrei – assassin with growing conscience.

Ah, yes, another soul lost in Forgotten Realms trash-reading No, really I enjoy FR-books. I don't like fantasy, but somehow I got into FR series. It is a magic of the gaming world I guess. I just can't get enough of Faerun. And of druids. And of green-bearded dwarves Pikel is very cool. He could be little annoying with this Oo oi and Doo Dad thing, but I like him. I'd gladly play Pikel in some FR CRPG. Artemis is a nice char, too. And well-developed one. Not exactly my type, though. I don't like assasins. Even if I play evil char or party, I try to be more straight-forward way of a bad-guy

Seth, do you read many FR books? What is your favorite?

Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:02 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

quote:
Originally posted by stanthony
Seth, do you read many FR books? What is your favorite?

Of all the released novels from FR setting I don’t have 4 I know of, so yes you might say that I love the Toril planet (although I didn’t read them all yet). As to which one is my favorite is hard to tell. I like the R.A. Salvatore way of writing, also Denning Troy is good IMHO. I would have to say (from the newer ones) “Servant of the shard”.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:42 pm
Dhruin

quote:

'F2' minimises the interface but I miss the info feedback box.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:20 am
hoyp
High Emperor
High Emperor

I cant believe how mind-numbingly lame the combat in this game is.
Really disappointed.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:01 am
Nocturnal
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

agh!! i´ve been waiting this game for a long time and its REALLY sucks.

the graphics are outdated, wheres the point in pausing the game if you cant give order to the character and if you already explored all the map and are travelling you cant just click far away from your character, the inventory is a mess and those orbs that u pick up... that shit its for console games man!!

but the WORST thing is the use of spanish, im a natural spanish speaker (i live in south america) and i can tell you its all wrong, i dont buy games in spanish because they always make bad translations but this game is in english WITH bad translations!!!!!

the only good thing is the character generator, one of the best i`ve seen (good quantity of races-skills-spirits combination, the vampirism trait is sweet!!) and the spirits are a good touch (specially the demon), but when u start playing all the shine go away.
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:12 am
Kexin
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

What the hell...the graphics in this game are about 10 years old!! Fixed 800X600 res, WTF are they smoking over there in Black Isle? As if that isn't bad enough the colors in this game literally looks like crap, everything is hideously stained with brown and grey, which is ok in dungeons and such but it shouldn't be that way if your toon is walking in a forest.

Just look at Lionheart's forest http://newspics.rpgdot.com//imageview.php?dir=gallery/675/Screenshots/&name=LH_0710_13.JPG vs Greyhawk's forest http://newspics.rpgdot.com//imageview.php?dir=gallery/751/&name=ToEE_Screen_01.JPG
Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:40 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Well, as Dhruin previously put it - maybe one should look at such "dark" graphics as on aestetic choice, or design choice if you please. Those two pics are very different, of course, but from the point of view of realism, Lionheart looks better. I don't want to say that it actually *looks* better, though Grayhawk surely has some sunny days there you can tell! Both screens are in fact very extreme examples of visual balance. With regard to Lionheart I only hope that:

a) Full game will have a good mixture of background designs, not all dark and gloomy at least
b) Those dark forests will be supported with respectively dark game atmosphere, i.e. *good* story.

Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:41 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Oo oi! I just found out peculiar thing. You can actually change resolution of Lionheart to higher (I tried 1024x768). You need to open LIONHEART.CFG in the root Lionheart folder and make respective changes to Screen Width and Screen Height fields.

My impressions. First of all, game is completely unplayable in 1024x768 because of the interface misbehaviour. But on other hand, game looks SO MUCH BETTER! I swear BlackIsle need (!) to release a patch to make higher resolution officially available.

Post Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:54 pm
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The biggest disappointment for me is the pause function.It's just 'pause', you can not command anything when you pause the game and this make Lionheart close to the action-RPGs, i think. Second disappointment is the inventory screen. I like the paper doll style.
Graphics are nice for an isometric RPG. It's not perfect as Divinity, but it has it's own style, dark and very gothic and I love that. Sounds ok, voices are perfect. Music, that's the most important feature for me in RPGs, is excellent. (I can not expect less from Black Isle)
Dialogues, storyline.Well, it is a Black Isle game, what can i say...
From what could i see so far, this game will not be an another disappointment. I am expecting this success from ToEE and Riftrunner, too.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:14 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

quote:
Originally posted by GokYabguHan
The biggest disappointment for me is the pause function.It's just 'pause', you can not command anything when you pause the game and this make Lionheart close to the action-RPGs, i think.

Well you can drink potions, change the “targeting” and go to the bathroom

quote:
Second disappointment is the inventory screen. I like the paper doll style.

You are not the only one

quote:
Dialogues, storyline.Well, it is a Black Isle game, what can i say.. .

Actually is more of Reflexive than BIS

quote:
From what could i see so far, this game will not be an another disappointment.

I’m not certain about this, combat it’s a little too hectic, many people are taken aback by this including myself. I hope the story will make up for it.

quote:
I am expecting this success from ToEE and Riftrunner, too.

I’m following this (ToEE) title as close as human possible. 99% so far I like, but there are some issues that I might be a little skeptical.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:34 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next