View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
deviantchild
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

crash solution c-media 8738 and WinXP

i just thought i’d sign up to share this with you

having never been entirely happy with VxD or *WDM drivers for this chipset under Win98SE (performance and quality generally great but compatibility varied from app to app) I switched to XP and native WDM support

the greatest set of drivers I have found for this chip are actually intended for a later model, the 9739 and are at this time still being updated, whereas 8738 WDM support is petering off and VxD seems to have stopped

the following mod instructions were ripped from the thread titled "New drivers with built in equalizer Cmedia 8738 !!" started by Keltis in the 3DSoundSurge forums

Download the new CMEDIA 9739 drivers from the following link:

http://download.msi.com.tw/support/dvr_exe/cm973949.exe

Then modify the CMVIA.INF file , adding the following lines under the [C-media] paragraph :

%CMI8738.DeviceDesc%=AC97, PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0111&SUBSYS_011113F6
%CMI8738.DeviceDesc%=AC97, PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_0111&SUBSYS_011013F6

After that , uninstall the older cmedia drivers and install these with the "device manager" way ...
After the installation , reboot your computer and enjoy the new drivers with built in equalizer with alot sound themes to choose from , new 5.1 virtual mode and God knows what else ...
I have tested them and they work absolutely fine on my rig.

These drivers have been fantastic for me... until Gothic under XP

when exiting, the game just would not let go of the sound chip, Gothic would either go straight to a nasty BSOD "Stop" error blaming CMUDA.SYS or leaving the game open as a minimised window on my desktop until I tried to close it; then i’d get the error
this happened even if i tried to run with the sound disabled in GOTHIC.INI, even with DXDiag set to "no acceleration" and any of the XP compatibility modes just made the sound screw up like WDMs sometimes used to under '98SE

anyway, all I wanted to share was that, contrary to other Gothic sound issue advice, the only setting which works for this chip using these (otherwise fantastic) drivers is the generally not recommended "EAX2" setting

fyi, i still left "Reverb" disabled jic - after that many BSODs i didn't want to mess any longer

Dev'

WinXPPro + SP1a

*you need MS HotFix 242937 for WDM under '98SE: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=242937 <- the actual file isn't available but it's called "q242937.exe" if any '98SE users wanted to search for it
Post Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:17 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

I don't really know how to help you, except to tell you that many had problems with Gothic and WinXP in the same basket, including myself. System reboot was a must every time I finished playing Gothic.
I wasn't really complaining, as it was the only thing I did back then.

Aw, just thought you should know, and tha it might get easier for you...
Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 8:24 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Thanks for the infos about the C-Media driver.
Post Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:15 pm