ES 4: Lead Designer Ken Rolston Retires @ [H]Consumer
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Kalia
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

ES 4: Lead Designer Ken Rolston Retires @ [H]Consumer

[H]Consumer has posted an interviewer with Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Oblivion lead designer Ken Rolston. Mr. Rolston has recently retired and talks about his longevity in the industry as well as about the Elder Scrolls series. <blockquote><em><b>What do you think of your work on Oblivion compared to your work on Morrowind? How did your design task change from Morrowind to Oblivion?</b> <br> <br>Rolston: On Morrowind, I had a much larger role in every aspect of design -- mostly because there were so few of us designers, and I was the only one with decades of experience. On Oblivion, we had many more experienced, talented designers, and they had much more control and responsibility for their parts of the design. My personal contributions to Oblivion's design are relatively modest compared with my contributions to Morrowind, and because I am a huge egomaniac, I will therefore always love Morrowind more than I love Oblivion.</em></blockquote> Read it all <a href="http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTA2NCwxLCxoY29uc3VtZXI=" target="_blank">here</a>.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 1:59 am
Father Omally

A sad yet glorious day!

Truly a Master..no! A GOD! Of literature hast moved amongst us! Closing one door of his life which touched so many with its divine magical hokey essence and journeying onward where greater energies of further fumbling fun call to him!

Hail Ken Rolston with much thanks for making MORROWIND the literary masterpiece it is! Like a Bishop in hell or a Saint of the pit your presence stood out so out of place.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 2:08 am

Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Very interesting, seems to me his lack of responsibility in Oblivion might be one of the reasons why it's been "simplified". This is just a theory of course, but he did say he prefered the older, less streamlined games to the modern games, and that his influence was much bigger when developing Morrowind than Oblivion..
Post Thu May 25, 2006 2:52 am

I could have known this.

quote:
because I am a huge egomaniac, I will therefore always love Morrowind more than I love Oblivion.

Bless his ego, then. I cannot but wish my best luck for his life. Thank you for having wroked for my favorite games in both PnP to CRPG for such a long time.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 7:47 am

ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

You wouldnt believe (or perhaps you would) the bashing this guy is getting at Codex. I still can't figure out why the hell I read it or even pointed my browser to that site but I did.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 1:31 pm

My my..things are getting a wee bit on the hot side on thee Official Forums these days.Just looky what usually cheerful/respectful Pete Hines said to one of thee flame baiting posters recently:

quote:
Lepton8 Yesterday, 06:13 PM Post #51

Novice

yeah, it sounds as if good old pete only hears what he wants to hear. Thanks for the support. I am selling my copy of Oblivion on Ebay. I care nothing about the add-ons or expansions

Pete Yesterday, 06:13 PM Post #52

Warrior Poet

Thanks. That was deep.

Here's some insight for you. Your time left here is short.

I dont think ol Mr.Petey Hines did not take into account how his words might be conscrued or misinterpreted. I doubt he intends to off the guy more likely this is a hint that they maybe shutting down the Official Forums. Afterall whats the point if all there be are tons of posts with venomous emotions.
Post Thu May 25, 2006 8:32 pm

Father Omally

Oops!

Forgot to post me name in the above posts...AGAIN!

Verily almost instantly ominous dark cloud descended upon thee once family like Official Forums of Thee Elder Scrolls.Tis sad to be a Lurker nowadays..oh well..oh well..
Post Thu May 25, 2006 8:37 pm