Horses in game
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 3 General

Author Thread
radamlje
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Horses w're taking bout!
It is strange to talk about armors and stuff in thread about horses.

So to the point. It is hard to take horse in a game but i think that with so many heads in a forum, we could even made an animated horse for a mod if nothing else. There are ceritanly some folks who knows something about modelling, animating, scripting. And becouse designers ceritanly take some looks on mod scene, we could even help them thus making the game which will finally come on our computers even better!
Post Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:26 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hehe, I agree, let's get it back to the horses.

You have a good point, modding works wonders. In fact, I hope G3 will get a much better modding community than it has in the past. Diccuric seems interesting, but is so far only in German, and not being made in English(as far as I know.. ?).

Horses would be a pretty hard addition to make if it's not initially in the game though, but surely not impossible. Also, keep in mind that G3 will most likely get an add-on, so we probably have a lot more to come than what is in the original game.
Post Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:04 am
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by radamlje
Horses w're taking bout!
It is strange to talk about armors and stuff in thread about horses.

So to the point. It is hard to take horse in a game but i think that with so many heads in a forum, we could even made an animated horse for a mod if nothing else. There are ceritanly some folks who knows something about modelling, animating, scripting. And becouse designers ceritanly take some looks on mod scene, we could even help them thus making the game which will finally come on our computers even better!

Yes but it wont be very nice if you opened a new thread for every thing, horses armor weapons etc. If we can discuss it here, why not.
Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:12 pm
muteki13
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

It would probably be best to create a fictional mount if they're going to do it at all. That way they could create a creature that wouldn't have the same constraints as a horse. Maybe one that could strafe, or jump further, or be a weapon and ram into things thus removing the necessity for mounted combat. Then you could train it like you could the wisp in NOTR, and get armor for it that matches yours (which is one piece the way it should be). I had to sneak that in.
Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:57 pm
radamlje
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Have enyone seen sheep in g2. It could be that way the horse would run. If it jums there in almost no need for strafing. If ti must be may it be like trol strafes. Also horse is for long journeys so there is no need for explorig dungeons with it. If you would joust tie it to a tree branch and go exploring it will be okay. Also it would change the use of teleport. Maybe teleporting with on a horse with a horse would do?
Post Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:42 pm
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

I wouldn't like to see a real horse, like in our world, in G3. It just doesn't fit. I hope that they will create some other creature, like muteki13 also said. Maybe a shadowbeast or some new animal.
Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:42 pm
Jazzy_s
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Man it will be cool if tey will make carriages (like romans had), do you imagine a big arena with gladiators riding in this carriages, and you crushing them down , and then the big applauses, and.................
Of course it's a little fantastic but if they will do that I will have no words left.
Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:29 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Riding a shadowbeast! That's it! THAT would be cool! Normal horses? Wouldn't fit - why haven't the soldiers and paladins been riding along on horses already? Complete story crash really, but shadowbeasts are wild and untamable.. maybe some nomadic dude in the desert knows the secret of taming them and riding them? If they do have mounts, something like that with a bit of background story as to why we haven't seen them so far would be cool(and needed, otherwise we get a story crash).
Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:11 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

shadowbeasts would be cool but any one remember a fast shadowbeast? I mean they are a bit slow maybe would a lurker or a snapper be a bether transport? they are fast and can jump a nice distance: places you can't reach without them so make them really needed because you need to be at those spots for the game progression
Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:45 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by Jazzy_s
Man it will be cool if tey will make carriages (like romans had), do you imagine a big arena with gladiators riding in this carriages, and you crushing them down , and then the big applauses, and.................
Of course it's a little fantastic but if they will do that I will have no words left.

You must mean chariots. Yeah that would be pretty cool. Especially if pulled by some fantastic beastie. But, somehow, I doubt that chariots will be there.
Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:20 pm
radamlje
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

But korinthis is on island. On mainland a lots of things could be diffrent. On the other hand bringing horses over water isnt simple I think. Paladins could ride on horses, but I think the reason they didnt bring horses lies in that the army round the capital possibly needed every horse.

In g2 there are a lot of small wagons which are ceritainly for horses to use. Maybe the reason of not appearing of horses in g2 lies in diffilcuty to make them real. So if there are no horses is still better than horses made in bad way.
Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:34 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hmmm, shadowbeasts are among the fastest runners I believe, but their jump is slow, and when in animal form the jumping is usually a much faster way of running(such as lurkers, which jump extremely well).

The carts are definetly for mounts, and the reason we haven't seen mounts so far is for the very same reason we may not see it in G3 - very hard to balance, takes a lot of effort to make well(easy to implement, but it will be very unbalancing unless you spend a lot of time tweaking and testing it).

I will keep saying what I've always said - yes, if they do a good job on it, no if they don't. Nothing would be worse than having horses and the bonuses of fighting on a horse would be so good that fighting on foot would be pointless, or the other way around. Or having horses that could jump sideways, or even worse - jump backwards like the World of Warcraft horses. Such elements don't belong in Gothic which is trying to be a very realistic world.
Post Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:45 pm
X-dANGEr
Unknown Destiny
Unknown Destiny

Hmm... It seems that horses only fit to be with humans. But the problem is that humans would be scattered. So you can find an orc everywhere. And you can go into a cave and find an orc eating your horse when you are back out .. I think it'd be better if their is some connection between the horse and it's charachter. So when the horse is attacked that connection works and calls for the rider. And it would be nice to be able to train horses. And i mean train them. In all previous Gothic games. Training was a simple matter, give up some LP/SPs and bam, your skill is better. I'd prefair to see real training in the game in general and for horses if put in game.
Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:28 am
radamlje
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Training Horse like a wisp in G2 addon is stupid. You would give your expirience to a horse? So it would have to be done in the way that horse has its own expirience and becomes better over time.

Moreover if you are on a horse I dont see how you could fight with scavanger. Only if you would have a spear, a crossbow or a bow. But then, horses can fight on their own. Standing on their back two legs, and knocking the oponent with down kicks.

In the army, horses do something becouse they are fast. So having a big hammer or a spear and ramming the opponent, bashing him down with more runs. While he does nothing to you, maybe only to a horse.

Gothic way of figthing ruins fighting with horse, but with it a runaway is as easy as a cake. Communication beetwen rider and a horse is something unreal, but if you insert panciking level and guiding with a rope, you could take horse with you. except for clibing.

Another suggestion for teleporting. What about teleporting a horse to a safe place for some time, and then teleporting it back from there. Of course that would require a lot of mana.
Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:20 pm
Patriot
Small Tiger
Small Tiger

quote:
Originally posted by Jazzy_s

Yes but can one carrier hold 2 orcs on it.
But the idea of the arena is good.I hope the audience will shout like real one.Not one voice every 5 seconds like "show him who is the boss" or "when I was young men were tough".Nahhh
Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:49 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next