Usergroups
The Fable ad
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > RPGDot

Author Thread
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

Well, I join the ranks of Fable-watchers. I'm getting it now, but fortunately only once per session.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:27 am
Remus
Overgrown Cat
Overgrown Cat

It's okay with few or less-aggresive ads on some websites; as it's necessary for survival (cost of bandwidth), or to maintain independent content (objectivity) such as commercial product reviewing/commentary/news sites. I don't mind single top banner ads at Shacknews or Driverheaven, or small Amazon Search box at the bottom of a forum, but more than that, and unrelated ads (Google Adsense is useless, i hardly care about smiley, icon or wallpaper offers - and i know where to get one if i want them), especially aggressive ads - will only urge me to disable or or customize them with Adblock (which/how many to be displayed).
Post Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:02 am
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

ffs! this fable thing is insane The add just keeps popping up allmoust every time i load a page here in rpgdot.Even when i pushed reply to answer this post, huh! Talk about agressive advertising.
Post Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:50 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

Please rest assured that it's very annoying for the staff as well .
What I do when posting news here now is turn 'Shockwave Flash' off via the option that is included in IE as of Service Pack 2.
In fact, I'd recommend to everyone to install SP2. I know there's quite a bit of hysteria going on out there about how SP2 sucks etc. but that's all uneducated BS talk in my opinion. My system's stability has in no way been negatively affected by SP2. To the contrary. IE crashes less than before.
All the games I have played were as stable as ever and I also didn't encounter any multiplayer issues so far.
Games I have played with SP2 installed are Star Wars Galaxies (and the Jump to Lightspeed beta), EQ2 beta, Warcraft III (LAN), Counter-Strike 1.5 and 1.6 (LAN), Gothic II, Jedi Knight II, Freelancer, Doom III and possibly a few more I can't think of right now.
All you have to do to get multiplayer working is to tell the Windows firewall to no longer block the application. And I read that you should disable file sharing in your network options because there seems to be a security issue when it's turned on.
Seriously, I don't see why anyone should not install SP2. Don't buy into the anti-MS hype .
Post Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:41 pm
PanZer[Jolt]
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just dropped by to apologise for the frequency and grief of the fable ad. Won't bore you with details, should have been less frequent but we had to make up for lost time. It won't be around for too much longer, please bear with us.

In other news the server migration should actually complete very soon, which will improve the site's performance (with or without the fable ad!).

Rest assured campaigns such as the fable ad are few and far between - we know the negative impact they have but as you all know there are positive benefits of it...not just financial ones.

PanZer
Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:14 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Thanks for the update and the response. Just keeping us aware and letting us know you hear us and care goes a long way in keeping us patient and understanding.
Mark Twain
Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:29 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx
*yells into headset*

HE SIMPLY WILL NOT DIE, COMMANDER!!

Y're killin' me Sammy!!! That's great

@PanZer[Jolt] - Thanks for the updat. As CM said, it is nice to know that we are heard. And the new server is much awaited.
Post Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:10 pm
cfmdobbie
High Emperor
High Emperor

I have to say that they're currently undergoing a huge Fable campaign in London - and it annoys me far more than the popup ever did! Everywhere you turn there are posters either saying "Everyone Loves You" or "Everyone Hates You", with an appropiate mass of faces staring out at you. The sad bit is that that's it - there are no other witty jokes, no actual information about the game, no screenshots, nothing. Quite how these posters are expected to elicit anything more than a "what the hell?" followed by a shrug is completely beyond me.
Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:37 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Is it.... is it over? Is it done? Has the nightmare finally come to an end? I'm getting a Fable popup, which is fine, but not the pre-empt of every page I visit by that music and small close button.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:53 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Yes Xen, it is finally over. The Fable siege of RPGDot is finally over. YAY! There was much rejoicing ...
Then they killed the troubador ...
And the rejoicing was redoubled.
Post Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:00 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

I guess that this subliminal suggestion stuff does work, many lemmings will now wander over to their suppliers and say in a dalek type voice "gimme that fable game" this will prove that the marketing tactics do work.
Post Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:16 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

IT IS BACK
Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:54 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Urge to kill... rising.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:25 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

NOOOOOO.

Heeeee's Baaaaacccck.

Every other screen he pops his androgenous (sp??) little head up ... that I could almost deal with --- but the MUSIC!

ARG!!!
Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:51 pm
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

ALERT! ALERT!! ALERT!!! ALERT!!!!

temperature rising !!!!!!! violent outburst predited!!!!!!!!!

GRRRRR that annoying little head is back and he is MORE FRUSTRATING than EVER!! And that music I CANT STAND THAT!!!

EVEN WHEN I WANTED TO ADD THIS REPLY HIS UGLY PACE POPPED UP!!!!!
Post Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:14 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next