Evil Islands?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Hey all~~

Have any of you heard of the game "Evil Islands"? I just played through the demo (which was a solid couple of hours of time..) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's more of a top down game. Kind of a hybrid RPG/adventure game....

Basically, you play a guy who loses his memory...yada yada...fantasy world, poison toads and orcs, trolls, wolves...pretty standard fantasy fare. Anyway, you head for a town, they believe you are the long lost hero...you get quests, can recruit people (eventually..), buy and sell armor/weapons, that kind of thing. It's not really an action game, because you actually have to THINK about what you're going to do...you can't just run into the Orc Camp (does anyone here play Gothic?? ) and start fighting, you'll get creamed. You can run, walk, sneak or crawl around, each has it's advantages.

Anyway, I enjoyed the demo, thought I'd pass along this title to anyone with some free time on their hands. I thought it was a pretty cool game!

Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 4:17 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Iplaygames2 I moved this one here because I think it doesnt belong to Wizardry 8 forum .
Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 2:14 pm
xandor
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I've heard of this game but haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet.

But from the sounds of it I'm gonna like it. I hate the fact that game developers take an action game, throw a bunch of stats in, let you control character creation, toss in some useless NPCs who do nothing more than give you mission briefings for the next level, then call it an RPG. That really takes the ROLE out of Role-Playing. Heck, thats almost as bad as the FF series which throw annoying random encounters at you out of the wazzoo which serves as nothing more than a tool to increase your stats and does very little towards story progression.

I love the idea of actually having to think your way through stuff, having to use your skill logically.

I'll definately be sure to check this one out.

-Xandor
Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 4:33 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

I played the game, i liked it! The graphics was pretty good, but i didn't like the main character, he seemed to be stupid or something. lol
Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 5:43 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

And I really liked this game. There're some "advertising" done to this game by me, try searching forums for soltys and Evil Islands. Play this game at max difficulty for max pleasure
Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 5:47 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

And there are several posts from me about Evil Island and I can make little summary here for you: I really didnt like this game. It has nice graphics, but it was somehow really very much boring. I do not play games that make me feel bored.

[ This Message was edited by: Danicek on 2002-04-05 11:51 ]
Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 5:50 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I had it in my hands today (15 Euro), but I went away with Summoner for the same price together with Fallout Tactics.
Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 5:58 pm
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

quote:

On 2002-04-05 11:47, soltys wrote:
And I really liked this game. There're some "advertising" done to this game by me, try searching forums for soltys and Evil Islands. Play this game at max difficulty for max pleasure

s
Wait a minute now. I liked Evil Islands too, but playing on max difficulty gave me max frustration. Not all people are as good as you Soltys, I'd suggest to them playing on easiest difficulty level and maybe even checking out the balance patch for the game if they get too frustrated.

Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:11 pm
Gig
Southern Spirit
Southern Spirit

I really liked it, it was hard, though. I thought it became very hard to level up. It had several very unique characteristics.

[ This Message was edited by: Gig on 2002-04-08 09:52 ]
Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 6:13 pm
iplaygames2
Master of The Realms
Master of The Realms

Have to agree, the main character does seem a bit stupid..

Leveling up is rather weird. You can spend experience points AS you get them (provided you are in a town). That is, you don't have to wait for a certain amount of points to "level up." You can pump all of the exp into sword skill, and each successive "training level" of skill costs more and more exp. However, if you don't have enough points to level that up, you can increase magic, or bow skills, etc. Kind of like Gothic, where you can be trained in different types of fighting or magic, independent of leveling up.

I thought that was one of the more interesting points of the game. I also found the graphics to be nice, but didn't really care for the top down view. Would make for a better 'over the shoulder' game, with radar, I think.

Anyway, glad to see that I am not the only one that enjoyed this little demo!!

Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:57 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

Hulk, I'm not that good, but thanks .

For everyone that is going to play full game, here're some tips (for fighters, I made myself total fighter with additional sensory / heal magic to boost myself):

- develop backstab, really do it
- don't develop other abilities until the very late part of game (3rd island practically), unless you know very well what are you going to use. also if you learn one ability, all other become more expensive, not only the one learnt. thrugh most of the game increasing needed skills is enough. increased health recovery rate is also useful. at the very end you will probably develop ONE weapon ability. it will help you killing imperial guardsmans (a lot of exp, money and 1 meteorite per kill )
- kill everything you can and sell not needed stuff. also some characters have nice armors.
- do yourself best armour you can afford at the moment. particulary armors with healing spells are useful, and weapons with weaken speels. don't worry - you will have enough money if you kill everything (that you can kill at the moment)
- you can backstab very quickly by doubleclick at enemy - you character with run from any position (probably from crawling one) to your opponent. it will be quick enough to make backstab.
- don't dare developing abilites like night vision. it's the best way to loose you exp points for nothing (and make other ones mroe expensive). there are spells for such things, even if you're developing fighter
- undeed creatures can see you in 360 degree s range
- veteran skeletons are very tough enemies in first island and they can't be backstabbed (as they are undead and can see you from behind)
- some creatures are immune to some type of weapons (like ogres - to piercing weapons).
- firework speel is very usefull for luring enemies out
- as a fighter you will be using strenghten speel very often.
- you can't be good fighter without magic support. and you can afford to develop some magic (skills, not abilities), so don't worry.
- don't do things like you do in diablo(clones) - i.e. if at the beginning of the game you attack few bears, they will eat you for breakfast. anyway attacking few creatures (at comparable / stronger level) at once is usually not too good idea, especially those flying ones. lure them, crawl, and backstab from run.
- rebind your keys - using pause and locational attacking in arms / legs are very useful. Creature with severely damaged arm will attack slower and do less damage. also use strenghten spell - it will decide about your success many times
- use night ! enemies have limited vision range, and you can use night vision spell
- you can finish game without party. Anyway party == less experience for you
- 1st island is practically incompleteable without large amount of stealth (read: crawling and waiting for good situation to be able to sneak somewhere). if you don't like stealth, you won't like this game. also before you attack an enemy, check his abilities with left-up panel (it has 4 modes).
- indeed - main character is incredibly stupid proof: talk with necromancers' master on the 3rd island.
- trick: in night enemies can hear their party's death scream, but want hear you running away. so if you see someone is running to you, run away. he will stop near his friend's body and won't see you, when you are far away. later in the game you can do it with invisibility spell in day as well
- you will probably happen to use quicksave/load quite often

ufff, I'm sure I forgot a lot things, but with above guidelines you should be able to complete EI at normal (== max) difficulty.
Post Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:34 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Oh, you have began using Euro in Germany now?
Post Sun Apr 07, 2002 5:16 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

all you people who like EI, gimme your address I'll send you my copy, Im using it to rest my drinks on right now. that game is teh suq
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 7:43 pm
soltys
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

I give up - I've done all I could to convince you to this game
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:01 pm
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Just wanted to add another vote of support for Evil Islands. The first few minutes of the demo I thought it was really silly. Zak, the main character, is a little...different, but by the end of the demo, I was craving more, so I bought the game and played it all the way through. Its an excellent game with a game system unlike any other I've seen.
Post Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:22 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next