Help! Dwarven Mines...
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Framnk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Help! Dwarven Mines...

Hi, I am stuck trying to get over the platforms in the Dwarven Mines (Level after the hellhound has chased me there. I can see how the platforms lead to the tunnel on the other side of the room, but I can't for the life of me jump from the last platform to the tunnel. Is there a trick I missing here? It just seems physically impossible to jump that far....
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 7:28 pm
Srikandi
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

It's possible. I did it, and I'm terrible at jumping puzzles.
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:27 pm
Framnk
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Trick...

Is there some sort of trick to it?? I made my way to the platform closest to the exit but can't seem to get from there to the tunnel. There are platforms on the far side of the room that don't seem to have any purpose... Am I missing something?
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:32 pm
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

It is possible, though not very easy (at least it wasn't so for me)...
...when you reach the room jump slightly to the right to the wheel that is just about in front of you high up almost on the top of the column ahead of you. Even if you miss it (I only managed to get there once, but accidentally fell down ) there is another way: try to jump slightly further to the right where there isbar that leads to one of the platforms on the right. If you land on this crossing bar you can still reach the platform from where you need to jump to another platform that is in fact the last for you to use. The entrance to the other cave leading out of this room is very dark but it IT there Try to jump from the far right edge of the last platform that seemed to work for me...
...I hope this helps
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:56 am
Crawdaddy79
Village Leader
Village Leader

Heh.. and once you do all of that, have fun getting back out.

I couldn't figure out the trick to killing the hell hound (that apparently is much better at jumping than I am, seeing as how it took me about 50 tries to get it, and only once for him/her/it). Or if there is a way at all..

All I know is, one swipe from that thing and I'm dead.
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:18 am
Detori
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The black beast cannot be killed in a conventional way...
...do not even try to fight it! Just run as fast as you can and soon you'll find a way to defeat/trick it

Also, don't worry you will NOT need to go back through the jumping-platforms room...
Post Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:49 am
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne
Rightful Heir To The Throne

To all that searched for hellhound / lava jump on this forum (as we did);

This dit the trick:
- First jump high up to the wheel
- From there jump ont the platform closest to the exit
- From the last platform, be sure to use part of the ' pipe' as you runway. This gives you one more ' step' before the jump and youll land on the right side of the exit.

And good luck with the rest of this challenging (if not frustrating) episode

Parc
Post Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:48 pm
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

Someone mentioned before that you can drop your inventory items, like an old sword for instance. If it lands just right only the tip of it will be on the platform and the rest will act as an extension. You can then carefully walk out on the item before you jump thus causing a much shorter jump.
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:07 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I'm somewhat weary of that tip drop items tip... Has anyone else actually tried it? As far as I recall objects (not to mention bodies) have no effect on your "walking area".

IMHO his trick was a placebo jump helper
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:19 am
TribalMan
Conflict Within
Conflict Within

In that case, save right before you get burnt to a cinder. If I still had Arx installed I would try it real quick, but I have moved on to Gothic 2 and MW Tribunal.

On Edit:

ok. I had nothing better to do so reinstalled Arx and tried it out. It definitely works as shown by this ingame screenshot:

http://bellsouthpwp.net/T/r/TribalMan/float.jpg

Aren't ingame physics just great?

After a little more investigation:

Hmm. Maybe this doesn't work. It appears that the character is suspended and it had me fooled, but I tried to stack items and that didn't work. Then I tried to jump and that does not work either. Then I just slowly walked off the edge with no item dropped; same result. You appear to float in mid air over the edge, but are unable to jump.

I guess it doesn't really work.
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:29 am
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Thanks for your input...

Right now I'm too lazy to even START THE GAME as my system is really slow (well, p2-450 w/ gf2...) and I'm going to buy a new one soon, so I'm just waiting for it to savour the game better next time...
Post Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:24 pm