Ultima Online
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Danny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Ultima Online

I was wondering what all of you think about UO. Do you find the graphics so outdated that you can't enjoy all the other features of the game? I mean, it has by far the most innovative features if you compare it to Daoc, EQ, AO or AC.

It has also the biggest roleplaying-community around (*real* roleplayers i mean, not those people that claim to be roleplaying and 5 minutes later you see them powerlevelling with a guild-mate. Don't mind that at all, but don't pretend to be roleplaying then.).

I started this topic because i'm also getting turned-off by it's graphics. Quite confronting for me, because i alway said "graphics aren't important as long as the gameplay is any good". When i see screenshots from Dragon Empires, Horizons, Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft, then i'm immensely excited. But then; i was also excited when i played the DaoC Beta, but after a couple of month's i started to realize that it's just a levelling machine and that you can't do very much besides that (don't bring me the tailoring crap, because that's just the most boring thing around ).

The last couple of year's i always dreamt about an Ultima Online but then with an up-to-date graphics engine (not top of the bill, just nice.). "Maybe within 2 year's" i thought. Well, i'm 4 year's further now, and still no sign of a MMORPG that promise the features of UO. I know the development time would be major, but come on! I just know that so many people would swith to such a game. Even all the Star Wars Galaxies fans who are going to play that game because the old UO team helps with the development would switch to this game, because SWG sounds impressive but it's suffering from the Horizons disease (promise 100 features, and deliver 20 of them).

I would appreciate your opinion about this subject.
Post Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:20 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

After third dawn i promised myself *never* to return into UO. And quite succesfully so. After betatesting shadowbane i have found a much better mmorpg. If they somday publish it in europe that is.
Post Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:03 am
Danny
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by Zakhal
After third dawn i promised myself *never* to return into UO. And quite succesfully so. After betatesting shadowbane i have found a much better mmorpg. If they somday publish it in europe that is.

Hmm, the first positive remark i read about Shadowbane Is it really that good?
Post Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:38 am
Zakhal
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Danny
quote:
Originally posted by Zakhal

Hmm, the first positive remark i read about Shadowbane Is it really that good?

First? I dunno where you have bin but shadowbane has bin a success. People love it. Even the rant sites which are most critical when it comes to mmorpgs.
Post Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:36 pm
Kiff
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

Have you looked at Darkfall Online? By way of it sounds, it should play alot like UO when it first came out and the graphics are looking impressive by some of the screenshots.

UO was a great game. Griefers got out of control, so UO pretty much started over on a new clone with out griefers. But that scare of a character popping up behind you was a thril, and that was gone so nothing was left. And with a very much out date style of game play and ever more so graphics only the stubborn conservatives still play that game and don't give new ideas and innovations a chance. Look at DAoC, realm vs. realm add that thril and give you a huge reward for participating in RvR.

I loved playing UO but everything became to simplistic. Nothing in EQ was difficult or thilling, and DAoC is only nice because reaml points open up the second half of the game.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:58 pm