Usergroups
Monk needs help!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

How good is a 17/3 Monk/Rouge
It owns MAXI!!!
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
It's ok... (I just prefer something else)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It SuX MAXI!!!
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

Author Thread
mongoliat
Village Leader
Village Leader

Monk needs help!

I was planing on starting a Monk. And desided on a Human multi/class Monk/Rouge...
I was just wondering? Is it wise to mix Monk + other classes?
I was thinking maybe 16-18 monk and 4-2 Rogue... just to get Sneek-attack... But if I first choos Rogue to get the skill bonus in the beguinning... then after 2-4 lvl's add monk lvl's.. Will I get Exp loss...or enny other negativ things?

Got To Know... TY!!
Post Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:34 pm
mongoliat
Village Leader
Village Leader

ECHOOOO!!! sorry im just eagre to start my new Char. but I NEED SOME HELP FIRST... and I do not mean Conseling
Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:00 am
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

From a power gammer view point: Monks really start to come into their own in the higher levels ... so you'd be delaying getting those powers at the expense of few relatively weak levels. I would suggest going with a pure monk. If you really feel the need to multiclass, wait until after L20.

From a role playing view point: I'd say don't do it ... unless you have a good story for the multi classing. You know ... thief reforms ways after seeing the light. Hmmm, now that I think about it, CAN you multi class monk and theif? If so, the only alignment possible would be lawful neutral .. a tough role play (at least for me!).
Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:15 pm
mongoliat
Village Leader
Village Leader

TY... but im just wondering... As you may have noticed Im a noob... and don know that mutch about D&D based games...
But if im gonna start a new char. with enny race and class... what would you advice me to choos?
And Xen if you read this I would HIGHLY appreciate your opinion...
Post Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:12 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

Since Xen appears to be on holiday I will try and answer your question.

First it depends on your style of play.

Personally I find the fighter types to be the easiest since they are the quickest to play. Thear are very powerful early on due to their relative survivability (high HPs) and un restricted armor usage. They also deal quite a good bit of damage out. Traps can give you a problem and so can some chests but neither of those is a big draw back. If you like Lawful types try a pally after 2 to 4 levels of fighter (the few levels of fighter are for the feats).

Clerics are most likely the most powerful all around types. Good HP, can were all kinds of armor, have a large selection of spells that you can convert to healing when ever you want. In addition, if you specialize in the animal sphere your summoned beasties are that much more powerful. They might be a little weak to start vis-a-vis the fighters, but they quickly make up for it.

Arcane spell casters are dog meat at the begining. This is offset by being able to summon a familiar and one other beastie to help, but low HP and no armor means their survival time in melee is close to zero. Later this is still somewhat true, but not much survives to get into hand to hand combat!! Also, a number of the power up spells really level the playing field (iron skin etc) Higher level (but less than Epic) arcane spell casters are awesome machines of destruction (at least according to Xen *grin*).

Rogues are tough to play well. Low HP and poor armor means they NEED a henchman for those cases where sneaking just won't work. That said, they are also one of my favorite classes! I love the skills and the challenge. Later on, if you branch out into shadow dancer they get to be too easy to play. Being able to hide in broad daylight means that those four fire giants that were looking to mush you can't see you until you sneak attack one, then run away and hide again before they know what's hit them. Repeat until four corpses. It that is not enough for you ... summon up a shadow.

Monks are pretty good to start ... then start to really feel the limits of their class round about levels 4 or 5 through 7 or 8 ... but then start to come into their own. A lot depends on the mod you are playing though. Some have nothing good for monks while other are just brimming with Monk only items. All three NWN official campaigns seem to have a lot of stuff for monks.

What've I missed? Rangers and Barbarians are pretty much covered under fighters less armor but offsetting advantages.

Bards make great support players, but solo I don't know how they play out.

Druids. Hmmm. They sound like fun, I've never tried a NWN druid though. The lack of ability to convert spells to healing spells would bug me ... but the other advantages sound cool .... especially if your campaign spends a lot of time in the trees *grin*.

I've not really addressed the prestige classes here ... there is a seperate topic for that.

Hope all this helps. I am afraid that what it boils down to is: what style of play suits you best. Some folk love tossing fire balls, others like laughing as they charge the baddies swinging a huge sword, while others like the shadows. Try a few different classes and decide for yourself what fits your style.
Post Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:48 pm
mongoliat
Village Leader
Village Leader

THX ALOT Lintra...! you where of great help. But dont think I was underastemating you beckaus of me asking 4 Xen's help as well... I've just heard that if in a "dilemma" ask Xen. But you coverd it... thx!
Im trying a Sorcer now, but sins I'm playing online "RPG server" I hvae some problems finding a team. That wants me in, so I will take some time dooing misions. Do you play online? I that case whitch server do you prefer?
Post Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:25 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

You are very welcome! And you are right to want Xen's advice on these matters. He is much more knowlegable than I am on all matters D&D. What I have given you is based on my somewhat limited experience. Any descriptions Xen gives you is based on about 100 times that!!!

As to whether I play on line ... I used to back when I had an internet connection at home ... but now I can only access the internet at work. Somehow it just doesn't seem like a good example for the troops here for me to be playing NWN online *Grin*

If you want to build up your character, I suggest running him/her through either the Original Campaign, or SoU for a few levels. I hate using the auto leveler programs as that removes all the flavor from the character.

Oh yeah, remember, bards and sorcerers can 'forget' useless or no longer needed spells and replace them with new ones when they level up.
Post Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:01 pm
mongoliat
Village Leader
Village Leader

I can fully understand U not playing...
Thats realy 2 bad though...
(a bit "Of Topic") Hey I'm trying to find a new RPG game I can play. Maybe even (a free!) MMORG. Do yuo know enny? The only MMORG I've tryed is "Anarchy Online", which i free untill 2006.
What RPG's do you play?
Post Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:11 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

On line I don't play anything anymore ... before I dabbled in NWN only, so I am not a good source for on line games. I believe, however that there is a forum here dedicated to online gaming.

As to what CRPGs I play ... hmmm ... hard to answer. At the moment nothing. NWN is on my laptop for travel gaming, at home I have Darklands, Gothic 1&2, M&M 6&7, Temple of Elemental Evil (a good one), Divine Divinity, and Morrowind. Currently I am sucked into Rome: Total War and Spartan. Of the two I prefer the game system for Spartan, but I wish the scenarios were more flexible. Both are very good.
Post Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:09 pm
mongoliat
Village Leader
Village Leader

cool.... Im trying to get a hold on Gothic1, ive already tried G2. It owned. But Temple of Elemental? whats that? something like Gothic? Morrowind OWNS MAXI!!! but im boored of ALL my games... I hate when that hapendes to me. (whitch is quite often)
Post Tue Dec 21, 2004 6:56 pm
Lintra
Elf Friend
Elf Friend

The Temple of Elemental Evil is a great port of D&D 3.5 rules. Read Xen's review here for a full description. It is not an 'action' game as like Gothic, but a very, very good port of pen and paper D&D.

As to Gothic I, I *highly* recommend it!!!
Post Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:04 pm
mongoliat
Village Leader
Village Leader

Cool, Do you know of enny good more action like games like Gothic??? I cant get a hand on Gothic. So do U know of enny other games? That goes for anyone else reading this topic!
Post Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:22 pm
Pepto
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Temple of elemental evil was insane....better than divine divinity.

Stick wih trying Gothic 1 and 2...3's coming(?)
Or give Arx Fatalis a go....also good
Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:54 am
mongoliat
Village Leader
Village Leader

Ive tryed Gothic2 not one... I cant get a hould of it... Ive altso tryed Arx Fatalis (demo) and I could have bought it when I was in Rusia. But it was in Rusian :p ... Tell me if you know ENNY other desent action RPG's...
thx...
Post Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:17 pm