Should I email Arkane about this?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Bedwyr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Should I email Arkane about this?

It has to do with the Liches at Poxsellis' grave. I killed one in short order and then proceeded to fight the other via bow, sword, and fireballs in the gut (I had ylside armor, a magical sword of many pluses, and the shield you trade the two rings back in for) for about *30* minutes nonstop. Not even old Nintendo Contra games got this bad. I shut the game down after that and decided to ask you all if 1) this is a bug, 2) if it is a bug, is it a known issue, 3) has patching taken care of it?

This seems to be a difficulty that I haven't seen on the boards yet. Most appear to find the fight difficult but not impossible as I have found. Any thoughts?

Bedwyr
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 7:44 pm
Ravenwench
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

THat sounds VERY strange... Their HP's are high (130 I believe).. but they are all killable. Even when my magick was low... I was able to hack them to death. I would send my saved game to arkane if you can..

Good luck
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:10 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

I know I had a heck of a lot of trouble with them too and 30-40 minutes is probably the time I spend to kill them but I eventually succeeded. I saved in various stages of the fight with them.

What I suggest is that you punctuate the fight with them with fireballs. Without doing that I would have never beaten them.
Post Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:26 pm
randy3099
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

have a suggestion, but its cheating i suppose.

i ran down the side and avoided them, the portcullis still opened when i trampled the last arrow, even though i hadnt followed all the arrows (i think the walktrough is just plain wrong), and i escaped with my life drained; then went and got inut's bow and went back to finish the arguement. they seem to have a weakness for any fire, -ball, incinerate, inut's bow.... they must be wearing ployester.
Post Tue Jan 14, 2003 1:12 am
Bedwyr
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

quote:
Originally posted by Red
I know I had a heck of a lot of trouble with them too and 30-40 minutes is probably the time I spend to kill them but I eventually succeeded. I saved in various stages of the fight with them.

What I suggest is that you punctuate the fight with them with fireballs. Without doing that I would have never beaten them.

I have no patience for a 30 minute fight. I'll ask the arkane folks about this, but it seems insane that I should have to fight *that* long even if I'm funneling fireballs into the mix. I have about 12 mana-restore potions and I emptied all of them for about . . . 25 or so fireballs halfway into the fight. Something's not right. If it is supposed to be this way, you can bet Arkane will get an earful from me.

Bedwyr
Post Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:38 pm
Red
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Heh, maybe you should consider doing other sidequests or continue the game first and level up a bit... Although you're probably stuck there if you don't have enough savegames.
Post Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:18 pm
sunshine
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

What i did was save up 2 fireballs and and insenerate. Then i raised my armour and cast in an undead of my own to keep their summoned creatures at bay. Also lining up alot of scrolls at the top of your inventory can help too.

If you turn invisible they cannot attack you. but if they turn invisible they always run to directly in front of you.

use poison on the sword too. you should also get good at casting life, while in battle, it is actually very easy (a cross pattern)

I loved this fight, and i was extremly impressed with the difficulty.
The first lich battle was simply too hard however, inside the blind priest's room on the top. They lock you in the closet with a litch, i had to come back to him later.
Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:39 am
sunshine
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Another thing I noticed in this room is that fireballs do not work well if fired to a diffrent elevation

This may explain why it took 25 fireballs or more, (prev post), because i noticed many fireballs thrown from the elevated floor looking back down the hall would not damage the liches if they were lower.

However the liches i fought in that room could be killed with 3 or 4 fireballs a piece when on even ground.
Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:43 am
NSNightStalker
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Nearly Invincible Enemies!

I have the same trouble as you do when I fight any creature above a goblin lord if I try to kill them with conventional weapons. When I use magic, I don't have much difficulty. It seems like I can hack and slash away at the enemy doing double damage several times for several minutes! For example, when I fought the Twin Traders unless I used magic I could not beat them with an poisoned axe alone. One of the Twin Traders only had a dagger and he killed me after I hit him at full damage 23 times with 6 of those times doing double damage! I hit him almost twice as much at less than full damage!!! I had 33 health potions and I used them all! It is strange because several times I have killed two Goblins with one stroke! As for the Lich in room 35 level 2, I could not beat it with magic or conventional weapons. I will kill it later. I was able to kill the demon several times but I used about 17 health potions and all my mana potions until I found a cheat. If you stand high against the wall to the left behind the meteor the demon cannot hit you, but you have to be in a specific point on the wall. If you attack the demon with magic you can kill it without losing any life, but if you attack with a conventional weapon the demon will be knocked into a position where it can attack and kill you.
Post Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:18 pm