Usergroups
X3: Early Impressions
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > X2 / X3

Author Thread
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

Well I got it on the way home. Been sitting here for the past hour waiting for it to install...

Its currently on the last CD and the install bar just got the the end and the reset to empty...

I am now hoping that it hasnt crashed. If it has, I'm giving up for tonight and going to bed.

[Edit]

Well I managed to get it installed. I had to use an external drive because it wouldnt install with the built in one. I have since read lots of nightmare stories about X3's copy protection actualy damaging people's drive.

I loaded the game and started playing, its very very pretty, but so far seems identical to X2. Its definately an expansion pack...

I tried to fly to another sector, and it crashed as soon as I entered the jump gate. So I downloaded the patch and tried again and now it works.

I have read lots of bad reviews, people complaining that its full of bugs and has almost nothing over X2 apart from better graphics. They also complain that the plot is almost non-existent compared to X2.

I am realy interested in hearing people's opinions from here. Let me know what you think, I'll be sure to post more of my impressions once I get to play it more. (Dont know how soon that will be though, considering Dragon Quest VIII is out today! )
Post Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:30 am
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I'm not sure why people would buy X3 for its plot. That's not really the purpose of the game. Its strengths are in providing the player with an "open" universe in which you can do what you wish ( space themed of course ! ). If you want to be a trader, bounty hunter, miner ...so be it. It's all up to you.

I'd agree that this game is no different gameplay-wise from X2. Really, it is just a graphical upgrade with an interface overhaul. In some ways it is WORSE than X2 because certain features are actually missing that were in X2 - presumably as a result of not meeting the publisher's deadlines and pushing the product out rushed ( and buggy ).

But, EGOSOFT do have an excellent post-release patch fixing reputation. So , if space-sims are your favourite genre - stick with it. I'm sure it'll get there in the end. And lets face it, what other options in this genre are there ? ( EVE-Online excepted .. )
Post Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:51 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I agree with all of that. Toss the plot - complete waste of time. It's X2 with a complete graphical overhaul, interface overhaul, improved flight, changed economy (don't have a firm opinion on that but basic trading seems a little harder, which I think is good) and various tweak and balances. For some, that's not enough - for me it's as much as most other sequels and I'm quite happy (or will be, assuming a few things in v1.3 like mining).

No crashes here and the v1.2.01 patch did amazing things to the frame rate. Overall, nothing radically new gameplay-wise but quite enjoying it.
Post Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:03 am
Chekote
Where’s my Banana?!?!
Where’s my Banana?!?!

I did notice the flight physics have changed slightly. I realy like how you drift with intertia for a while before your engine's compensate when you change direction suddenly.

I havent ever had any framerate issues, even with v1.0. But I was (and still am after patching) having spurts of "Load-crawl" every now and then, which sucks majorly.

I am hoping that the 1.3 patch will fix the "Load-crawl" problem. My system even handled fear with everything maxxed out flawlessly, so this should be no problem.

Apart from the "Load-crawl" X3 runs flawless with everything maxxed out. Here are my spec's for comparison:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Geil 1GB DDR400 1.5CAS
GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB PCI-E

I would have liked a good plot personaly. I know that there is a lot to do in X3, but I always like it when there is a plot tieing it all together, even if it is optional. If the GTA games never had an underlying story, or at least loosely connected missions, I would have lost interest a lost sooner.
Post Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:21 pm
Ican
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

That's a well-specced PC you have there .... it should be capable of running X3 without any trouble. But, Egosoft certainly need to optimise their code, and thankfully seem to be making inroads on this already.

I take your point about having a more-involved plotline. I personally don't require it for my enjoyment of the game, but Egosoft have probably ( unwittingly ) limited their sales by not enhancing this side of things.
Post Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:41 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2