Need Help Getting Bennet out of Prison
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
riff
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Need Help Getting Bennet out of Prison

I'm at the point in the game where Bennet has been arrested for murdering a Paladin. I have already talked to the witness (Cornelius) who admits to making up his story but that is not enough to get Bennet out of jail. Now Cornelius took off running and is not in the city and I can't seem to find any proof of Bennet's innocence. Any help?

Also, I've been trying to get all 3 of the mage's to meet to fix the Eye of Inos. Xardas doesn't want to go because he says I'm not strong enough. All of the teachers I talked to say I'm already too strong, who is the best of the strenght teachers or is there another way to win Xardas' trust?

All help is greatly appreciated... and Gothic 2 is by far the best game I've played since Ultima VI.
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:13 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

I think Cornelius runs to the very first bandit cave (the one between Xardas Tower and Lobart's Farm). You're in the wilderness, so I think you can just beat him up and steal all his stuff.
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:32 am
riff
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I found him in the cave along with two prison escapees. However, after knocking him out and going through his inventory there was nothing I could use to prove Bennet's innocence. Is there something specific I should do or be looking for?
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 3:44 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

You have to convince Cornelius to give you his diary. This is enough proof to convince Lord Hagen.

The strength problem sounds strange. Did you talk to Vatras and Pyrokar?
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:50 am
riff
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok, I give up for now. I found him in the cave and tried talking to him, but he just tells me to get lost. I tried fighting him but the diary is not in his inventory either. I tried searching the house but couldn't find anything. Maybe I'm supposed to finalize a certain side-quest first?

I talked to both Pyrokar and Vatras and they both agreed to meet at the stone circle. Xardas says that he won't go until I prove myself and mentions my strength not being high enough. So I'm unable to finish either one of the major quests in order to finish the Chapter.
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 7:14 am
riff
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Just a little bit more info. I work for Lee/Onar and just finished the 'Judge' mission for Lee, giving him the letter from the judge which proves he might dabble in some illegal activities. The next quest is to get the eye of Innos fixed, which requires Bennet's help. Unfortunately, he's still locked up in the city. I tried loading an earlier save and repeating my conversation with Cornelius, but he still runs away and when I find him in the cave he won't talk to me nor does he have the diary on his person. What am I doing wrong? If you need more information on where exactly I am in the game just ask. This is the first time I've felt frustrated with the game, mainly because I've talked to everyone in the city, on Onar's farm and in close proximity to the city and still have no clue on what I'm missing.
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:31 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Do you have enough money to pay as much as Cornelius wants?
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:47 pm
riff
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes, I tried paying him the 2000 gold, after which he tells the truth and then escapes the city. I also tried scaring the truth out of him with similar results; he tells the truth and runs away. Unfortunately that doesn't seem enough to appease Lord Hagen as he wants concrete proof (the diary I assume.)
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:55 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

I was also a mercenary. I think I simply threatened to kill Cornelius and put pressure on him until he gave me the diary.
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:05 pm
riff
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

THat's what i've been trying. Once he's in the cave, however, he won't talk to me, just tells me to leave him alone. Since I've really tried everything possible I'm actually considering cheating, is the entry for Cornelius' diary on any Item List? I've searched through some lists but they weren't very thorough...

I might actually replay the game from a much earlier point if I can't figure something out soon.
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:29 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

insert itwr_corneliustagebuch_mis
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:39 pm
riff
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Ok that didn't help, I guess he has to actually give it to me himself. Thanks anyway, I guess I'll have to replay the game from an earlier point
Post Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:09 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Maybe the Story Helper can mark this quest as solved ?!
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:07 am
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by riff
Ok that didn't help, I guess he has to actually give it to me himself. Thanks anyway, I guess I'll have to replay the game from an earlier point

Okay. So, you've inserted the diary into the game. So definitely you have it in your inventory.

So, the next question is: have you READ the diary??
Post Thu May 01, 2003 4:22 am
riff
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Kiwi Boy:

I did, I'm not a complete moron you know ,but couldn't get the proper dialogue options when talking to Lord Hagen. Weird. I replayed the game from an earlier save and was able to proceed.

Now I can't seem to replenish the Eye at an alchemy table despite having a heart of a slaughtered dragon. This time I'm sure I'm just being an idiot and forgetting something. I go up to the table and try to use it. That doesn't work. Selecting the heart in the inventory won't work either nor does selecting the Eye of Inos.
Post Sun May 04, 2003 5:37 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next