Stuck at Covert Ops without Rubble
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Debedis
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Stuck at Covert Ops without Rubble

I am just wondering if anybody has had this happen...

I killed the dummies at the target range and then went to the Covert ops section and Rubble isn't there. Am I doing something wrong or is there something so basic that I have overlooked? Can I just ignore this bit altogether?

Thanks in advance.
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 12:20 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

What version are you running or patched to?

I've heard of this issue before, so it's not just you. OTOH, it's never happened to me personally, so it's not a definite bug.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:48 pm
otter
One of Us

i stopped doing the Gigas stuff very long ago, but i think re-authorizing at the machine you fixed to get this far gets the training on track.
Post Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:48 am
Slackertoast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Anyone else?

I have the same exact problem. Is there a viable solution? What is supposed to happen? Where is Rubble supposed to be? I have V 1.2.4. Please help, i have run that level 3 keycard through everything I could find, I even went back to an earlier save and chugged back to the umpani base.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:07 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Check your journal to make certain he's sent you to covert ops. If it shows in your journal, then you might be screwed. If not, return to the firing range and look for him there. If all else fails, you could backtrack and talk to Balbrak again. He might "reset" things for you.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:15 pm
Slackertoast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Irritating...

Went back and talked to Balbrak, no dice. Still no Rubble. Where is he supposed to appear anyway. Spec Ops door is closed still as well.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:54 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Aha! Special Ops and Covert Ops are not the same place. There's sort of a central cavern in the training area. The security card reader (and the way out) is to the south. The firing range is to the north. Special Ops is to the east, along with the door to the flight deck. Covert Ops is to the west.

By the way, welcome to the boards. Hopefully, we'll be able to get your problem solved and you can enjoy the game.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:06 pm
Slackertoast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

My bad I confused the two somehow. I meant the covert ops door is closed. Is Rubble supposed to be in the Gunnery to give you rockets or something? There is that little room in the back of the gunnery with rockets on the floor. Gunnery is the same as 'Experimental Weapons Range' right??? Also that central chamber is laid out like this North is the Covert Ops, South is the IUF UTU Training area, East is the 'Experimental Weapons Range and west is the security clearence machine
BTW Thanks for welcome.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:15 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Yes, the firing range is officially called the "experimental weapons range". Special Ops is officially called something involving "U.T.U." Rubble should meet you at the front of the firing range and tell you to shoot the rockets at the dummies (which I don't think you actually have to do) and then meet him at the entrance of covert ops (over on the west side of the cavern). He's always been waiting for me there after I take a few shots at the target dummies.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:29 pm
Slackertoast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Oh well, I guess my plans to do the umpani way/ dual alliance way has gone by the way side thanks to a neat little disappearing umpani glitch. I haven't seen Rubble since he let me in the obstacle course. Thanks for trying to help.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:37 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

I've NEVER heard of Rubble not showing up at the firing range. What's the last entry (Umpani related) in your journal? Also, are you certain you fixed the wires in the back of the security reader and then used the level 3 pass on it?
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:57 pm
Slackertoast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have fixed the wires. Unless their is an alternate method to getting them all hooked up and not get shocked.

This is order of Umpani Missions listed in journal

Deliver Yamirs letter to Mook in Arnika
Confirmed T'rang camp
Recieved Level 3 IUF security pass
Recon: News of 2 objects similar to Astral Dominae
Goto Commissary t get equiped
Report to Sgt Rubble inside for training

I rescued Sgt Glumpfh or whatever his name is from the Bayjin area relatively early in the game... I wonder if that has something to do with it. Although when I bring back the T'rang arm everything seems just fine and Balbrak gives me the next mission. I mosey on through the doors using security card(although door is already opened from Glumph mission), proceed to upper caves, fix security box thing, proceed to gunnery, no one home.
Post Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:41 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Did the security box tell you to report to the firing range? If not, it hasn't read your pass yet.

I wonder if things are messed up because of talking to Yamir already. You're not supposed to be able to see him without a level 5 pass. The game might be assuming you already did the stuff to earn a level 4 and level 5 pass. Have you "gone swimming" for the Umpani yet?
Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:30 am
Slackertoast
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I have not 'gone swimming' yet. I believe I got the level 5 pass when I brought Sgt Glumph back from the Bayjin area. I thought I would be able to do the other missions to get the other passes since i got the level 5 pass before I gave Sgt Balbrak the T'Rang arm to get the next pass. Oh well, maybe it is a bug, out of order bug. Or maybe just a glitch in my install.
Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:45 am
otter
One of Us

Which card is for the scanner whose wires you have to fix? I have not used that part of the game in so long...Will it take only the #3, or anything higher? (i usually only get the Fake and the #1, kuz i mostly have no use for anything in Gigas other than the Fiddle and maybe the Torch...)
Post Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:16 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next