Gothic 2 English Version - First Impressions Thread
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
OmeGa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

best game ever

phew, it was a looong time since I posted/visited on this forum..
I just love gothic 1.. and now the second part.. seeing some old chars from the first game. I just totaly love it. and the way you can choose your own way. (joining diffrent groups etc. and doing quests diffrent ways)
The only thing I can say is that the game is totaly nr 1!
Post Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:21 pm
-Jekyll
Village Leader
Village Leader

Overall the voice acting is good; however the same voices used over and over does get a little repetitive, but it is tolerable. The NPCs background conversations also get a little repetitive. How may times can you hear "Thats not what I heard", "He really should shutup", and "We really shouldnt talk about this" before you want to just turn off all the NPCs conversations? Once again, this is something that seems to be at its worst in the city, so as you progress you dont hear it that much anymore, so it is tolerable.

The only thing I am dissapointed in is Diego. Like someone mentioned earlier, his voice and his personality are completely different. He is definitely not the same friendly Diego I remember from G1.

All in all, it is a very good game. Even though Im nowhere near finishing the game, I know that I will be playing it to the finish several more times, choosing a different path each time.
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:06 pm
GothicDrak
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by -Jekyll

The only thing I am dissapointed in is Diego. Like someone mentioned earlier, his voice and his personality are completely different. He is definitely not the same friendly Diego I remember from G1.

put yourself in his place: captured by the paladins and forced to work in the ore mine of khorinis... surrounded by orcish hordes and no escape... wouldnt you become stand-offish?
Post Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:27 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Many questions unanswered when dealing with Diego.
He was a nice guy, why was he in the colony in the first place? What did he do to become head of the Shadows?
How did he know about the dragons? He said he left the colony right as the barrier broke.

Among other mysteries.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:19 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

I miss the old Diego voice as well, he was my favorite character in Gothic. The new voice is okay I guess .. just not what I expected.

Anyway, regarding the background conversations-- of course you hear stuff over and over again but it doesn't really bother me that much. Without the banter, it wouldn't be Gothic!!
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:41 am
GothicDrak
Village Leader
Village Leader

quote:
Originally posted by FetishFool
Many questions unanswered when dealing with Diego.
He was a nice guy, why was he in the colony in the first place? What did he do to become head of the Shadows?
How did he know about the dragons? He said he left the colony right as the barrier broke.

Among other mysteries.

remember the conversation with this Lord guy at the beginning (i didnt catch the name) who sad "the last one who tryed to scare the citizens with storys about dragons was forced to work in the ore mine... so you better stay mum!" "DIEGO!?"
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:38 am
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

I meant, why was Diego in the colony in Gothic 1.
He never mentioned what crime he committed. If I remember right, our character asked him in Gothic 1 and Diego didn't answer.
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:24 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

We only know about Lester (a murderer) and Milten (a deserter and thief).
Post Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:52 am
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

Does torlof count? Or are we talking about the "fantastic four"?

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:52 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I was just talking about the fab four .
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:08 pm
Iron Man
Dazed and Confused
Dazed and Confused

Would you think that we will find out about he history of the other characters in the addon and Gothic 3? I would imagine that pb wouldn't have wanted to waste all that "story material" all at once....

This box secretly turns into a picture and laughs at YOU personally when you're not looking.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:36 pm
FetishFool
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, I'm waiting for some soap opera storyline.
Someone sappy like Wolf was sent into the colony for having an affair ('desecrate' as Gothic would call it) with the King's daughter. Valentino was somehow tied into it all and was also tossed into the colony when the King's wife took advantage of the situation and saw a chance to get rid of Valentino after she had an affair with him. To prevent the King from discovering their affair and be-heading her.
Diego was the intended fall-guy for Wolf, but blew his story when he was seduced by the King's mistress into admitting the truth about the conspiracy to protect the relationship between Wolf and the King's daughter.

Ahhh... I'm so bored.
Post Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:32 pm
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Dont forget about mud, who was put in the colony because of relations with animals. LOL.

Ok I play gothic 2 on a laptop with amd 1800 and a g4mx 420 32mb.

It has crashed several times. Gothic 1 also crashed on me fairly often. Whats worse about gothic 2 crashes is it doesnt go to desktop it just freezes.

I set it to highest details at 100%. setting it to 800 x 600 16 bit doesnt seem to make it go any faster.

It seems to use the exact same character models as gothic 1. All the people, most of the monsters look the same.

The world and the bushes and plants look much nicer though.

So far Im having a blast. Im getting a little morrowinded running back and forth from the city to the landowner though. I hope I get a teleport scroll.

I havent found the monastary yet but my goal is to be a wizard so Im not joining the other two clans until I find it. Unless someone advises me otherwise.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:51 am
Jazz
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Man I have been played Gothic 2 in about a weak, and I think that its the best Rpg game I have tried since Gothic 1
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:45 pm
XeroX
The MasterCopy
The MasterCopy

Gothic 2 is a great game. I loved gothic 1 and the feeling is just the same.
Beautiful graphics and smooth gameplay.
It will keep me busy for a while

To join the Sportfans PM me
www.feyenoord.com
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:53 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next