Usergroups
Call of Cthulhu
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

ive got lotsa hope in this one, especially since i just watched Dagon.

Lets go Cthulu!

we need a Cthulu or shoggoth smiley
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain

Last edited by xSamhainx on Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 1:06 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by xSamhainx

we need a Cthulu or shoggoth smiley

I agree!

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:08 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Something like this:

Or perhaps this one:

Or maybe both?
Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:12 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Yeah!
thanks Val!
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:07 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Something like this:

Or perhaps this one:

Or maybe both?

Great find Val. You should add the first one to the smilies!

Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities…there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars…Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand…to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet. - Robert E. Howard
Post Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:29 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Too bad I can't add them.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:48 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Val
Too bad I can't add them.

But we can still use them!

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:51 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

At least until I delete them from my webspace.
Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:06 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by Val
At least until I delete them from my webspace.

Thanks for warning me. I have a copy on my serverspace!

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:01 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

After 4+ years in development, this game has finally shipped! My friend is letting me try it tonight!

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/660/660933p1.html

October 24, 2005 - Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc and Bethesda Softworks announced today that Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth has shipped to retail across North America for the Xbox. Set in the 1920's, Dark Corners of the Earth is based on the Cthulhu Mythos which is inspired by the writing of H.P. Lovecraft.

Call of Cthulhu is a first-person survival horror game that follows the classic format of exploration, puzzle solving, investigation, and combat. In Dark Corners of the Earth, players can fight evil itself in a gaming environment devoid of any heads-up display.
Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:45 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

Last night, I had a chance to play two hours of Call of Cthulhu for Xbox. The frame-rate is really smooth and the force-feedback and surround sound is perfect. The graphics are spot-on for the 1920s Mythos stories. All cutscenes are intentionally grainy and look perfect.

The game plays like an adventure game. I did not kill a single monster during my play session. You can spike yourself with tranqs but it impairs your vision. After you see many strange things your heartbeat increases and you start to hallucinate. When you are injured you have to physically bandage yourself and if you are hallucinating it takes longer to heal. The game has no HUD, you tell your condition by blood splatters, hallucinations, and your force-feedback hearbeat. There is some stealth aspects and many RPG-like journal entries and books to find.

The atmosphere is very close to the writings of H.P. Lovecraft. In fact my play session ended at the part where you are in Innsmouth chased by the Cult of Dagon across a rooftop which is just like one of his stories. This section was very linear and I kept getting shot to death. You wake up and all these crazies are trying to kill you with shotguns so you run for your life locking doors to keep them at bay for a few more seconds while you push furniture. As you are pushing furniture to jump out a window, they bust the doors down so you have to be really fast and could not complete that part before I had to go home.

The instruction manual shows about ten weapons, of which I found none. I did have bullets but not gun. I think the game will be really good, but it starts out really slow so many people will judge it before the first two hours is complete. I wish I could play it some more but I do not have an Xbox as I traded it for the X360. I think the game is what I expected, except I don’t like how linear it seems so far. I’d like to get much further to see the actual combat depth of the game. Two hours is certainly not enough to judge this game.
Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:41 pm
thartanian
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Awesome Kengo. I love these types of 1st rpg scary games. This is my type of game. Plus I loved H.P. Lovecraft's Alone in the Dark game. Do you know if they will be releasing this game for the PC? Either way, I'm gonna buy it today for the box. Thanks and good luck.
Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:02 pm
RPG Frog
Blade Runner
Blade Runner

quote:
Originally posted by thartanian
Do you know if they will be releasing this game for the PC? Either way, I'm gonna buy it today for the box. Thanks and good luck.

Yes, it comes out in a week for PC.
Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:14 pm
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I've heard of mixed reviews for this - the more positive ones seem to say that Lovecraft fans will enjoy it and I guess they may feel more at home with the aspects that others may find offputting. I've heard criticism of the game's slow pace and pedantic details (eg: medical procedures, weapon reloading) but didn't Lovecraft always ground his novels in the mundane at great length before letting the outlandish horror loose? I'd like to think the game is paced to resemble the author's style...

...but I've heard some more worrying things too. A mate of mine works for the company hired to port this game to a certain other current-gen console, and he's told me of various headaches arising from the delays and problems during the Xbox/PC game's development. I guess Headfirst suffered with the changes of publisher and platform, but some things just seem like plain old bad planning: I probably shouldn't be blabbing about this, but it's so alarming, I can't help it. Apparently they had their Xbox devkit set up wrong from day one, and only at the last minute (ie, a week or two til release) did they realise they'd been working with twice the amount of RAM that the Xbox actually has. In other words, not one of their levels would run on the target platform. Can you imagine such a drastic redesign at such short notice? That must have been an ugly crunch time.

Well, I suppose I ought to check out a demo when the PC version comes out. I'll take that in preference to the Xbox version, as it may work with my 3D glasses. Might make it scarier!
Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:08 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Thanks for the update Kengo!

If theres anyone around here who I trust to know Lovecraftian when I see it, its the Kengo Frog. I like atmosphere, and especially for this theme of game, if the atmosphere is right, thats half the battle.

Im going to wait and do the PC version, just to be safe ='.'=
Post Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:49 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next