Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Elder Scrolls 3 - Morrowind (PC, Single-Player RPG)
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Games Comments

Author Thread
IronLunatic

Bought this game 4 days ago and it really sucks a max. World isn't so huge <br>after all (if u remember daggerfall). <br>Although characters 're repeating themself, u won't find a vast number <br>of them. It all really gives it a 'lil <br>isolated island look'. Besides this, <br>my athlon 1000 + TNT2 + 500 mb ram isn't <br>enough to have a smooth play. Min requirements should have been athlon xp 1800 or intel pentium 4 1600, 3rd generation 3d card, at least 512 mb ddram or just a SGI / HP mainframe. And for what ? Better graphics ? Not that better than Gothic I must say. Conclusion: we'll still have to wait for <br>the next generation RPG.
Post Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:44 pm

ItBurn

This post is in reply to what Brytac said. <br> <br>First of all, Morrowind is NOT Daggerfall 2, if you did some research about the game, maybe you wouldn't have had to come here. <br> <br>Daggerfall's had TONS of cities and TONS of dungeons, but all of them were the SAME. Morrowind has handcrafted dungeons and cities and none feels the same. Each one has a different architecture, layout, feel and content. It's the same with the dungeons. Now, what you seem to want is the same number of dungeons Daggerfall had, but with the uniqueness of Morrowind, wich is completly stupid, since it's IMPOSSIBLE to handcraft as many locations. And you say that Morrowind did not advance Daggerfall's features, you are already wrong since every location is different. In Daggerfall the land was flat, with trees at random. There was NOTHING else, there was absolutely NO reason to go exploring the wild. It was mainly a game where you just teleported from city to city untill you did what you wanted to do. <br> <br>Smaller dungeons contain less surprise??? Come on, Daggerfall's dungeons were the same one OVER AND OVER. Where is the surprise in that? In Morrowind, each dungeon is different and you NEVER know what to expect... Again you make no sence. And that's another thing Morrowind advanced. <br> <br>And what you said about quests being a copy, again that is total bu11sh1t. Come on... EVERY quest in Morrowind is unique... And you probably just found out the crappy quests at the start and you thought that that was all about the game... It gets better when you get better... Lvl1 adventurers don't save the world... In daggerfall there was like 5 quests for the mage guild, 5! And I don't see the fun in going to kill the same Imp OVER AND OVER again in a different city that looks EXACTLY like the other... <br> <br>Let's talk about advancements to Daggerfall II as you call it. What about Npcs with their equipment that you can SEE. What about The new magic item/spell/alchemy/character/fighting generation systems. What about the actual culture in the world. What about the npcs that don't spawn at random at 6am and go away at 6pm. Unique npcs, with equipment, knowledge, jobs... Sure they have no schedule, but come on! Daggerfall's npcs were just sprites with random information on them. You can't kill merchants in daggerfall either... You can't kill the king... You can't lead a guild... You can't get a stronghold built... I could go on and on. <br> <br>Brytac you wish that Morrowind would have been an expansion to Daggerfall, or you're a fan of one of Morrowind's competitors, or probably you just wan't to cause trouble, but anyway, you suck :p
Post Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:59 pm

El Chorizo

wow )
Post Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:13 pm

Renard

I love Morrowind. The graphics are incredible and the freeform gameplay works very very well. But: It crashes almost every 30 minutes. But I´m not sure whether this problem is caused by Morrowind because my pc also crashes when try to play Emire Earth or Neverwinter Nights...
Post Fri Jul 05, 2002 3:54 pm

henry

Well i have played the game now for app. 15 hours and i had only in the beginning after trying to leave the ship that my pc crashed but after changing my soundcard to the other setting i never had a crash again <br>to avoid crashes u better safe outside after quitting the gamethen its no problem. <br>Ihave a pentium 1ghz and a tnt2 card and 256mb and when i let the game decide at what kind of level is best for playing the gameonly in the beginning my game is slow but thereafter its going better. <br>I know that the game is more beautiful when can play it on max detail but i dont care because its a very very beautiful game <br>
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:19 am

Shaido

This game is the bomb yo
Post Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:43 pm

Early Q

Personally, I have little grievences with this deep and atmospheric game. <br> <br>I have not played Gothic, and now I've got Morrowind, I think I've got my RPG dose for the rest of the year. So I can't really comment on this 'generic' NPCs, but I will say, I find this has been an over exaggerated point, a small nuisance inflated to find something wrong with the game. I find the fact that each merchant has a different opening dialogue, in each city there are different rumours, secrets and you can ask each NPC about the quests, this is a great thing lacking from games like Baldur's Gate; you can ask the NPCs, and they will tell you WHERE to find whatever, like the criminal organization or whatever. <br> <br>Aside from the NPCs the world is totally organic, lush environments and different locations, you will find it beneificial in terms of lott, leveling up, and quests, to just take a stroll down the local river. And when you walk around you realise that Morrowind truly is VAST, and I have to disagree with comments that walking is to slow; I rarely run, and I find that even long stretches of land are beautiful and interesting. <br> <br>Also asociated with the environment is the BOOKS. The amount of lore is incredible, with books ranging from history to short stories. NPCs will recommend books to read, to learn about the state of the politics in Morrowind before siding with a faction. <br> <br>Whats more, it PLAYS well on my system. And remember, my system is below the minimum requiremnet: PIII 450Mhz, Riva TNT 16mb, 192mb SDRAM Win XP... this means half-way view distance, 1150x800 (top resoloution supported by my card) and a PLAYABLE (for me anyways) 6-10FPS. SO, unless you have a PC stolen from a Museum (ie one crappier than mine), you should be able to experiance smooth gameplay (incidentlally, resoloution does not affect the performance). <br> <br>NO GO BUY!
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 9:10 pm

henri

you are very right about the game atm im playing it for 32 hours and its getting better and better. <br>you really dont need a hell of a pc to play if you really want to play[see my comment on saturday the 6th} and i definately are going to play for a very long while. <br>so bethesda keep up the good work <br>u make it a happening to play a game <br>thx for this masterpiece.
Post Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:10 pm

Donovan

i've played the x-box version a bit and will soon be getting a new, souped up computer, for which i could buy the game again (better graphics, etc.), but i don't think i will. maybe someone with more knowledge of the game or experience with it can help me out. it seems pretty stupid that there aren't an penalties for casting spells while wearing heavy armor or sneaking while wearing heavy armor. if that's the case, it seems that the game mechanics lack a little bit of balance. i do enjoy role-playing, but if the game will be nearly impossible to finish unless i play a heavy armor bearing spellcaster, i'm a little disappointed. shouldn't some of these skills/abilities me mutually exclusive for the sake of game balance? to me it just seems like there's no real premium on any of the classic archetypes since none of their traditional skills are exclusive. in the end, seems like not choosing heavy armor and spellcasting virtually dooms one to failure. any comments on these issues?
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:06 pm

ItBurn

Donovan, there are no archetypes. The game is made to be played the way YOU want. As for the balance part, the game is made so that it's gonna be as hard for everyone.
Post Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:01 pm

Mattesnille

you might become better at melee fighting if you wear heavy armor and cast spells, but I don't see why you'd want that. I'd say a light or no armor wearing spellcaster with high speed is better. You'll be able to outrun enemies and blast them while doing so, but most importantly, travel times are just about cut in half. I don't see any real reason for a spellcaster to wear heavy armor, but I love the fact that he *can*
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 2:27 pm

Ammon777

holy mama there is a ton of reviews here Morrowind is a good game, but it is NOT the Perfect RPG, sorry.
Post Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:39 pm

sansong

MY thoughts on most recent RPGs: <br> <br>Story: Gothic > Morrowind > Neverwinter Nights <br> <br>Graphics: Morrowind > Neverwinter Nights > Gothic <br> <br>Sound: Neverwinter Nights > Morrowind > Gothic <br> <br>Best Freeform gameplay: Morrowind > Gothic > Neverwinter Nights <br> <br>Best Linear gameplay: Gothic > Neverwinter Nights > Morrowind <br> <br>World depth: Morrowind > Gothic > Neverwinter Nights <br> <br>Bugs: Gothic > Morrowind > Neverwinter Nights <br> <br>Gameplay: Morrowind > Gothic > Neverwinter Nights <br> <br> So, for me, the current best single player RPG is Morrowind, because I prefer the incredibly detailed world in terms of history and fiction, the vastness of the land and the things you can do in it, the freeform gameplay (which is what ROLE PLAYING GAME should try to achieve, let you play the role you want with as less limits as possible) the incredible graphics and the first person perspective over all other things the other games provide. I get inmersed in MW world ad become part of it more than in any other RPG, and for me that's the definitive match point that MW wins. <br> <br>
Post Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:48 am

wengming

i am in loved with the idea of a vast, detailed gameworld that offers one complete freedom of exploration. so i went out to buy morrowind and has so far spent 10+ hours playing it. <br> <br>i am really disappointed in that i have to stop playing the game. And its not for any of the reasons mentioned so far. <br> <br>i have to stop playing simply because i get incredible nauseous from more than two hours of playing. Its a real shame -for me. Am I alone? <br> <br>i wonder if all these gamers out there, especially those who loved the game -"born sailors". <br> <br>
Post Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:16 am

Su Megan

I have both versions.. The PC version was full of bugs as alluded to above. None of those problems occur on my Xbox version. get an xbox. The game imho is a masterpiece.
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:44 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next