View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Neverwinter Nights - General

Author Thread
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

List of Forgotten Realms dieties

List is to be found here.

You can use it to enter your diety information during character creation.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 5:27 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Deity is just for style in NWN isn't it? It adds nothing.
Personally I think it would have enriced the cleric class when you get spells depending on your deity.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:17 pm
Beo
Space Defender
Space Defender

I choose my domain spell from the deity I worship for RP purposes.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:36 pm
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

I think that I should have chosen "Q," because he seems to be the only Star Trek diety that does anything.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:55 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

That list is missing some powers;

one obvious one is Bane - Lord of Strife, Hatred, Fear and Tyranny (a Greater Power) and the entire Drow pantheon is missing too. The list does include Iyachtu Xvim who is dead now (replaced by Bane). I suppose it depends on when your campaign is set but the current Forgotten Realms Sourcebook has Bane returned to his full powers.

Other than that it is quite a good list (there are some other tiny things missing like the orc partheon) but they are probably omitted on purpose.
~~Champion of the (Unofficial) RPGdot Text Signature Contest 2002~~
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:16 am
MoonDragon
High Emperor
High Emperor

BTW, I did not make that list. I just found it and thought people may wanna have it for the reference sake.

Somebody mentioned somewhere else that some NPCs in the game referenced their godlessness in conversation. But the main suggested role of having a diety was RP. Where a DM could do something or other based on the diety a person supposedly worships.

Also, I believe that in your custom made modules you can make events based on character dieties (as in you can check what diety they worship and trigger events based on it). Or so I was lead to believe.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:15 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

i have a book that has the ENTIRE patheon, the gods are listed in alphebetical order, and then there is a list of racial patheons, (Drow, Halfling, Orc.... etc.) its the Forgotten realms setting rulebook for the 3rd edition rules. it has cities, the rules for them, even characters, like Drizzt Do' Urden, the Simbul, and others, it even describes what happens after death.... made some really cool campaigns offa that too.... its a great book, but it is 40 bucks, costs as much as a decent game would....

Don't you feel better now?
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:16 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by SuperCowMan24
i have a book that has the ENTIRE patheon, the gods are listed in alphebetical order, and then there is a list of racial patheons, (Drow, Halfling, Orc.... etc.) its the Forgotten realms setting rulebook for the 3rd edition rules. it has cities, the rules for them, even characters, like Drizzt Do' Urden, the Simbul, and others, it even describes what happens after death.... made some really cool campaigns offa that too.... its a great book, but it is 40 bucks, costs as much as a decent game would....

Yeah I have that one too - the entire realms has shrunk and changed shape somewhat during conversion from 2nd edition to 3rd

It is a good book but it has too problems - one is that it doesn't explain fully about the whole Xvim/Bane storyline (still looking if anybody knows which books this is in) and two, the maps and the atlas don't mention "The Spirits Soaring" - this is the largest temple to Deneir in the realms (and feature in the Cleric Quintet by R.A.Salvatore). But all in all a v.good book.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 7:56 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

BTW, Icewind Dale II has deities as well. There the extra spells you get depend on your choice. Even though they only have a few choices, like you can see here. Still I think it would have added something to my cleric if NWN has done something like it.
...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:37 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

I still have the Legends & Lore book of good ole AD&D first edition... but I preferred the WoG gods anyway. Never liked Forgotten Realms too much.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 8:47 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
I still have the Legends & Lore book of good ole AD&D first edition... but I preferred the WoG gods anyway. Never liked Forgotten Realms too much.

The Greyhawk pantheon are now used as the standard D&D Gods. The players handbook contains info about them. The Realms deities are covered in the Forgotten Realms Sourcebook and Faiths of the Faerun. The old Legends & Lore book was really interesting to read about all the ancient beliefs (and some of the modern one too)

:::Mutter, Mutter ........ First she likes Lands of Lore and now, now she doesn't like the Forgotten Realms ...... mutter, mutter::::

Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 11:42 pm
stealth
Protector of the Realm
Protector of the Realm

I also own the FRCS. Pretty good stuff.

I would like to get my hands on the Lords of Darkness book. Does anyone have it and is it any good?
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:25 am
OhBrandi
The Pun-Slayer
The Pun-Slayer

quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik

one obvious one is Bane - Lord of Strife, Hatred, Fear and Tyranny (a Greater Power) The list does include Iyachtu Xvim who is dead now (replaced by Bane).

This is per the D&D rule books? Because the last time I checked (reading Forgotten Realms), Bane was nothing but a smashed up hand and Cyric was onTrial for being...er, evil? mad? *shakes head*

=Member of The Nonflamers' Guild=
=Neverwinter Nights Co-Moderator=
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 1:56 pm
SuperCowMan24
Blademaster of the Moo
Blademaster of the Moo

Bane didnt stay smashed up forever... he got returned to his full powers, and being an evil, menacing, power hungry diety.

Don't you feel better now?
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:17 pm
Kendrik
Thin Blue Line
Thin Blue Line

quote:
Originally posted by OhBrandi
quote:
Originally posted by Kendrik

one obvious one is Bane - Lord of Strife, Hatred, Fear and Tyranny (a Greater Power) The list does include Iyachtu Xvim who is dead now (replaced by Bane).

This is per the D&D rule books? Because the last time I checked (reading Forgotten Realms), Bane was nothing but a smashed up hand and Cyric was onTrial for being...er, evil? mad? *shakes head*

Er... MINOR BOOK SPOILER COMING UP
Cyric's trail (on the charge of Innocence by reason of Insanity) was set in "Prince of Lies" but the actual trial was written about in the book " Crucible - The Trial of Cyric the Mad". Cyric was cured of his Madness by one of his followers who ended up reading the True Life of Cyric to him at the trial (it countered the effects of the Cyrinishad) and Cyric was therefore found guilty (which meant he remained a God ( it gets confusing espeically as Kelemvor and Mystra where also on trial but they were found innocent therefore allowing thenm to remain as Gods ).

Xvim was Banes half demon offspring who contained part of Banes power and took over parts of Banes portfolio from Cyric. This suggests that Bane forsaw the events of the Time of Troubles (although I suspose he started them)(Mystra was the only other God (so far revieled) to have make such precausions by placing parts of her power into mortals (such as Midnight). Then one night Xvim priests received a vision and when they awoke Bane had errupted from Xvim and had retaken his Portfolio (in entirity) back from Cyric - Leaving Cyric with Murder, Assasins, Illusion & Deception (taken from Lleira (sp?) and Intrigue (taken form Mask).

These event are told of in part in Crucible but the details of events after the trial are breifly discussed in the Forgotten Realms 3E Sourcebook. I have still yet to find if the resurrection of Bane is covered anywhere else. (The only book I can think of is Tymora's Luck ( the follow up to Finders Bane) but I have been unable to order this).
Post Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:23 pm