Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Total newbie questions about this great game!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 Spoilers

Author Thread
Ulrika
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Total newbie questions about this great game!

Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and new to Gothic (II). I'm currently in the beginning of the game and am now in the city of Khorinis. I hope someone can be able to sort some things to me...

1. I want to take on as an apprentice with either of the craftsmen but before I can do that I need the blessing of the water mage Vatras.
When I ask for Vatras' blessing he asks who I am (I tell him Xardas told me some terrible things are about to happen and that I'm a former convict from the penal colonies) but he won't believe me and refuses to give me his blessing. How can I get Vatras' blessing?

2. Also, I'm a little confused by the plot in this game (call me stupid if you will...) but I'm just not sure how to go about things in Khorinis, if I shall I be honest nad tell people who I am or not. Whose side am I on really, that of the Paladins or that of the city citizens?

3. I've read throught the Instruction Manual (Yes, I have the original game not a copy) but can't seem to find a way to sleep unless there is a bed nearby. Does the character really need a proper bed to sleep in?

Ok, I hope anyone might be able to answer my newbie questions.
I thank you in advance!
Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:46 am
Borntoeat
Village Leader
Village Leader

1. 'terrible things' is not correct answer. you have to tell him about dragons ..that is your message

2.you may chooce by your own are you honest or not, sometimes lying helps (somebody wont attack you) but to vatras you can't lie if you want his blessing

3. your character does not need to sleep ..but if you want you need to find a bed (some beds are just mattress on the ground) and you're healed if you're hurt before sleep

wellcome to the game and these forums

big hint: save before every conversation! then you can load and choose different aswer and try other possibilities, of course save often at all events
Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:55 am
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

and user different slots to save if you want to fall back on other things if you think you made a mistake in your opinion, If you are with the citizens or the paladins or the mages? totally your choice that is one of the great parts of the game. Did you play Gothic 1? if you didn't you really should
Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:58 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Welcome to the forums!

2. Thatīs part of the special flair of the Gothic series. You have to decide how you treat NPCs. Vatras for example likes to hear the absolute truth. Others probably donīt like convicts. Some can be convinced with words, others only give in if they get their asses kicked.
The story really starts in chapter 2. The first chapter is for exploration. Talk to every named NPC, visit the different camps, keep your options open and travel through the land. If you run into animals which consider you as food you should run away. When you join a camp youīre close to the chapter change.

3. You can only sleep in a bed. Healing is never a problem, so sleeping isnīt necessary.
Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:43 pm
kriksa
Baron of the Court
Baron of the Court

welcome to the forums

youll soon find out there are more options(and better in my opinion) than paladins and citizens

when exploring, dont run back to a bed as soon as youre injured, dont hesitate to eat food, use torches and drink potions(except permanent stat potions), theres alot of stuff lying around, so youll probably never run out of 'em
Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:27 pm
Ulrika
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thank's everone!

Thank's everyone for welcoming me and trying to help out!

I suspect my chances at Vatras are gone and I will have to replay a LOOOOONG time in order to get his blessing now then... *sigh*

The reason I was asking about the bed was simply that I really don't like running about in the dark. I do eat mushrooms/meat/etc for healing, I just like the daylight better as I really want to see everything in this beautiful game.

Anyway, I'll carry on the slaughter of innocent Goblins and stuff...
Thank's again, everyone!

//Ulrika
Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:31 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Ulrika,

Up until chapter 2, the Vatras option will stay "open" - - even though Xardas told you not to tell anyone, you must tell Vatras this in order for you to be "assessed" as telling the truth.
Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:23 am
Ulrika
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Hi again!

I found out that I do not longer have a saved game (I save often!) with the ability to get Vatras' blessing.

When I get up to him I don't get the option to choose "May I have your blessing" (or the like). Is there still any chance for me to get blessed by him?

Also, I'm on the hunt for wolf skins but I have killed a few wolfs off BEFORE I learned how to skin them. Is there any chance any of them might respawn, or do I just have to search for them?

Cheers
//Ulrika
Post Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:51 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Hi, Ukrika, enjoy your time here.

quote:
Originally posted by Ukrika
When I get up to him I don't get the option to choose "May I have your blessing" (or the like). Is there still any chance for me to get blessed by him?

Um... Did you ask Thorben about it? The hero doesn't even know anything about the blessing until Thorben tells him that! In other words, Thorben's quest must be activated before you can ask for blessings from Adanos.

quote:
Originally posted by Ukrika
Is there any chance any of them might respawn, or do I just have to search for them?

Monsters don't respawn in the game. Some of them are simply added when you change chapters, but none are respawned.

The wolves... Hmm... on top of my head: there are four young wolves in the south of Onar's headquarters. (The four wolves are quest-related; killing them will give you some extra experience.) And I think there is one around the monastery area.

Of course, the fastest way is to.... Never mind.

Almost forgot... Welcome to the boards. And all the best!
Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:51 am
Sem
Solid as a Rock
Solid as a Rock

quote:
Originally posted by Ulrika
Also, I'm on the hunt for wolf skins but I have killed a few wolfs off BEFORE I learned how to skin them. Is there any chance any of them might respawn, or do I just have to search for them?

Cheers
//Ulrika

You can ask Bartok to go with on the hunt, some new wolves will respawn and Bartok can help you to defeat an Orc to get an Orc's weapon for Harrad the smith.
Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:28 pm
Ulrika
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yay! I found some more wolfs to skin and have also gone hunting with Bartok. (Although we were both killed by the Shadowbeast just outside Khorinis... I shall have to get back later to kill that one off.)

According to the blessing of Vatras again, I did talk to Thorben so the Thorben-quest is "open". Only I gave Vatras the wrong answer twice so I'm still not getting the option of receiving his blessing. Well, I guess I'll have to do without it or else I'd have to play the game all over from the beginning.

About lockpicking: is it really worth paying Thorben 200 gold for learning that? *ouch*

Kiwi Boy, you were about to say something...what what what..?! *curious*

Anyway, thank's again everyone for being so friendly and helpful!

Cheers
Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:07 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

200 gp seems much now but believe me lockpicking is worth every goldcoin and the blessing of vatras. well don't know if you really need it, I became a citizens without doing the huntingjob
Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:59 pm
Kiwi Boy
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by Ulrika
About lockpicking: is it really worth paying Thorben 200 gold for learning that? *ouch*

Just to add, there's a person who will teach lockpicking for free in the city; you need to admit into the Thieves' Guild.

How to get into the guild? It's a frequently asked question; search the forum for the answer. Please note that your choice of major guilds (i.e. Paladin, Dragon Hunter, Mage) does not affect your eligibility into the guild.
Post Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:41 pm
craigs248
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Vatras' Blessing

I made the same mistake by lying to him. You can make a donation to the church and then he will give his blessing.
Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:04 pm
Malgaroth
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

About the orc weapon... there's no need to kill an orc to get one. Go into the little forested area to the west as you leave Khorinis by the north gate. After killing a few molerats there, you'll find a cave opening. In the innermost chamber of it, you can find a discarded orcish axe.
Post Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:19 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next