RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

Devil Whiskey demo is out!

Can be found here:
http://www.devilwhiskey.com/pages/download.html

I installed it and tryed it for some 15 minutes but I have to work real bad so I couldn't quite form my opinion. I can only say that game looks REALLY nice. Graphics is very smooth and fine, much better than I expected. Yep, battles quite Bard's Tale like (and that's their plus IMO) but overall game looks sweet. I'm sure I want this one after it is released.

If anyone has this demo downloaded by now and was lucky enough to try it for a longer time than poor old me then any comments are very appreciated. At least I can use Internet at work

R.A.Salvatore The Cleric Quintet. Canticle
Post Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:02 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

What I want to know is why the devil a game with 24 bit pictures and 1024 resolution (of walls) requires 256 megs of RAM. Star Wars Galaxies requires 256 megs of RAM!

I played it for a bit... not really seriously. Ran around, got killed by the random fight every three steps (just like bards tale ) thing. Ah, memories.

I don't think I'll be buying this one, but I might play the demo some more and remember a time when this was the style.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:24 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

But the memory remains...

Very true. In fact I too yet will be thinking about buying Devil Whiskey, it's just I was so hooked on the real old-school atmosphere. I have to try demo for at least another 2 hours or so.

But, hell, I loved those character portraits Seriously, they are painted with such a style... Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em!!!

Now it's time to put a new feature on the list of our typical discussion of "why such and such game is good". Along with gfx, music and gameplay there should be char. portraits

EDIT:

@Xen. I think system requirements are there because of amateur nature of this project. It should be related to poor optimizing or smth as technical as that (me no techy at all).

Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:58 am
corwin
On the Razorblade of Life

Like you , I played it for about 15 mins last night. Liked the feel (I still have BT2 on my HD) When I have some time (not this week for sure) I will play it seriously. I would have liked some help with char creation; what's an aeromancer? Guess I need to check out the site more carefully, but such things plus controlls info should be there. I'll probably buy the final release.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:01 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

I finished downloading this game several hours ago, here are my initial impressions.

The graphics are VERY nice. Movement is node-based as opposed to full 360 degree movement.

No mouse support

Only one save position per party

Automapping that does not match the quality of the rest of the game

OUTSTANDING music

No autonotes/journal (I could be wrong about this one; I haven't read manual yet)

As mentioned before it has some great monster and character portraits very nice

Looks to have LOTS of treasure. Can't tell if it's like the old game where you have to equip items to see how they affect your character stats. I couldn't figure out how to examine items.

This game is HARD at the beginning, lots of wandering monsters, running into 5 dwarves and 15 villagers with a newbie party is a death sentence.

Overall, I'm impressed with this game and I'll probably buy it if it's reasonably priced, but I'm going to play through this demo a little more thoroughly first. It's definitely retro and may not be for everyone, however. I'd definitely download the demo, and give it a few hours of your time before deciding because it's a LOT different from the games of the last 10 years.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:09 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

Corwin:

The manual is included as an Adobe file, and would probably have the info you need for class, race, etc.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:13 am
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Markus
Overall, I'm impressed with this game and I'll probably buy it if it's reasonably priced

They said somewhwre in press-release that it will be $25 for download or $35 for CD version + shipping. I think $25 is reasonable price. Besides supporting those guys is good thing. They worked hard.

Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:19 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

It is a lot like the bard tale.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:26 am
corwin

I'll have to check my download for a PDF file then, I didn't see it. I just launched the game after install to have a quick look. Thanks for the info.

I don't use Smileys, I use Emoticons!!

Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:23 pm
Northchild
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

I'm all over it. I remember losing an entire summer to BT1 for the Tandy 1000TX.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:18 pm
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

stanthony: I agree, it's great to buy games like this if for no other reason than to support people who just want to make good games, and frequently indy games are better than their big-budge counterparts.

$35.00 is a fair price for this especially if you get a printed manual, and having the installation CD is nice as well.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:02 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

OK then, Grimoire is next on my list Now I strongly believe in independent developers. In fact grimoire is no.1 on my list - it has wizardry-lie interface, should have interesting and complex char. development, and otherwise it simply looks great! Wow! Amateur developing rules! It's great when things like that just happen to you once in a while, huh?

I can't wait for several free hours to finally sit and give a good try to Devil Whiskey.

Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 4:19 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

stanthony,

Don't cross your fingers on the Grimoire thing. That title epitomizes vaporware. If you ask me, its never coming out.
Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:45 pm
stanthony
One Smart Dog
One Smart Dog

@elkstone - Sadly but you may be right Official site is down for another week and they only said that it is due to some obscure spam attack... I hope this is true. I really would love to see this one.

Post Tue Sep 09, 2003 7:54 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

I was quite impressed with what they had done but I'm a little too spoiled by technology and think I'll leave this one.

No mouse irked me for some reason and although I remember having a great time with BT the text-based combat underwhelmed me. This is more my problem than theirs - they've done an excellent job (although slowing the scroll speed of combat and a mouse really might have made a difference.

I certainly agree about supporting indy efforts - Geneforge 2 will probably get my sale.
Post Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:10 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next