Most strategic camp structure/position?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Spoilers, Tips & Tricks

Author Thread
Rat
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Most strategic camp structure/position?

Which, in your opinion, is the camp that has the most strategic structure and position? (And this doesn't mean the default men positions, it means how can the guys be placed well.)
I vote the new camp, because there are quite a lot of options for archery (The ricelord's rooftop; the winch place; going up on the ladder, the high ramparts...)
Tell your opinion!
Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:58 pm
Dez
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

The old camp is like a fortress, but hey it IS a fortress. If they have enough suplies they could keep the attackers at bay for months. Guards from the old camp can setup a threefold defence( the camp fence, castle yard's fence and the castle itself if everything fails).

1) The gates leading to the castle can be closed anytime. The camp gates are made of wood yes, but the main gate and the castle wall is made from iron and stone. Try breaking that apart with swords!
2) In addition the huge tower in middle of the castle is a tremendous strategic advantage. Guards from the castle can allways keep an eye on the nearby enemy. At the same it can be used for the archers or other means of ranged combat(lke throwing stones).
3) Because of the nature of this camp, they have the biggest food suplies in the whole colony.
4) There is a deep and wide moat surrounding the outer fence.While currently it is out of water, with the clever use the river nearby it can be filled with water almost instantly.
5) The fire mages living in the camp could easily wipe out a small army themselves. Imagine Corristo standing on top of the tower throwing firestorms.
Post Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:29 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

Interesting question, but the answer depends on what type warfare you will defend against. Against nuclear weapons you would definitely prefer the new camp so you can hide in the free mine

If you confine me to using the "normal" paths and accesses to defend, I'd pick the New camp since it has fallback positions, the last being the tunnel leading to the free mine.......BUT......
I know ways to get above the new camp and could devastate it without having to do a frontal attack. In fact it would be rather simple to defeat because you can attack from the free mine area, frontal attack, and from above all at once.

Old camp is too easily surrounded without valid fallback position(s) so seige warfare WILL prefail. You don't even have to engage in battle, just surround and stop resupplies. A point the orcs obviously understood in G2

Of course the swamp camp will never be invaded. Nothing there, plus it is infested with swampweed addicted retards.......who would DARE invade such a place

If I HAD to defend from any position in the game world I would pick the mount fortress, but that is'nt one of your options.

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:35 am