Crossbows
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
PITTTBULLL
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Crossbows

I have a question about crossbows that has probably been answered before but I'm confused?
Does dexterity apply at all to crossbows, I thought it was changed in NOTR that strength only is the controlling factor.
Yet when I read the NOTR manual, it states that dexterity (aptness?) directly relates to damage, and strength is only for wielding requirements.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I'm modeling a mercenary character, so I was planning on using the crossbow instead of the bow since strength will be my main focus.

Thanks.
Post Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:09 pm
fragonard
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

"Yet when I read the NOTR manual, it states that dexterity (aptness?) directly relates to damage, and strength is only for wielding requirements."

You need both, unfortunately, dex is still needed for damage.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:27 am
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

That's correct, Strength is just the wielding threshold for crossbows, the additional damage you do (above the base for the crossbow itself) comes from your Dex.

That said, if you do go with a Strength based character, the crossbows can be good as your secondary weapon. The bonus you get for damage (above the needed Strength) is pretty high for crossbows and can be quite handy.

I would never advocate using a crossbow as your primary weapons (like you can with regular bows for a Dex-based character), though. If you are running a Strength-based character, your primary weapon should always be the best Strength-based hand weapon you can use (IMO).

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:53 am
PITTTBULLL
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks for the input!
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:34 pm
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by imposteraz
That's correct, Strength is just the wielding threshold for crossbows, the additional damage you do (above the base for the crossbow itself) comes from your Dex.

That said, if you do go with a Strength based character, the crossbows can be good as your secondary weapon. The bonus you get for damage (above the needed Strength) is pretty high for crossbows and can be quite handy.

I would never advocate using a crossbow as your primary weapons (like you can with regular bows for a Dex-based character), though. If you are running a Strength-based character, your primary weapon should always be the best Strength-based hand weapon you can use (IMO).

Well, I'm using a crossbow as my primary weapon right now. I'm in Ch. 5 and I used it primarily in Ch. 4 as well. Though, keep in mind I have a very high skill level in STR *and* DEX. Enough to let me equip the 2 best weapons up 'till now (IMO) in the game ((1 is a crossbow (190 Damage) and the other is a 2H (200 Damage)) sword. I don't remember exactly what their names are anymore, but I did get them off of 2 different people at the castle in the VoM (1 was a Merc and the other was the vendor inside one of the buildings). I was *very* careful of my use of LPs and tried to squeeze as much as possible out of trainers before using other means (pot's, tablets, etc.). This has been very sucessful for me this time around (I played the vanilla G2 with a 1-hander and my bow (or crossbow) usage was kept to a minimum. This time it's a lot more fun (IMO). The crossbow (at least this killer that I'm now using), while being great at taking down high end enemies from a distance, can also be very good used as a melee weapon. It will knock back many of the monsters that get too close, giving me an extra shot or two while he's trying to regain his footing. It doesn't always work (for example - against *really* tough opponents), and that's when I pull out my 2-hander (the last Dragon for example). I play as a Paladin so YMMV. Just wanted to let you know - it *does* work. Yet another reason that this is the best RPG I've ever played (IMHO). And I've played a whole lot of them.
Post Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:03 pm
imposteraz
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Warmskin,

By my "non-recommend" statement, I was referring to effecient use of resources (attribute levels and skill levels). The most efficient paths are either to use a Dex-based character with the best bow possible and a good Dex-use sword OR a Strength-based character with the best hand weapon possible and a good (Strength-use) crossbow.

The idea of "primary" weapon I was putting forth was the one you could deliver the most damage with, not necessarily the one you actually use the most.

Gothic (all flavors) has such an open concept to it, you can make almost any combination of attributes and skills work, but as you move away from the "direct" paths, your tactics will need to change and it may take longer to accomplish tasks and objectives. Finding new ways to do things can be a lot of fun, but I'd just not recommend it for new players right off the bat or things might be too frustrating.

"OK, I've got the 'No Die' part."
Post Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:58 pm
Warmskin
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

imposteraz,
I'm in total agreement. Especially as you say:
"Finding new ways to do things can be a lot of fun, but I'd just not recommend it for new players right off the bat or things might be too frustrating.".
Just pointing out that there are many ways to play it.
Post Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:20 pm