Patches for the english version
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Patches for the english version

I tried to read the other posts here but didn't find a direct answer to my problem, so forgive me if this question is redundant!

I'm aware of patch 1.08k solving HW problems, but my english version seems to have all the bugs that are mentioned to be solved in the german patch 1.08h (Wenches, NPC's etc.) but I can't find an english patch that solves the same problems. Do I with my english version have to cheat my way through the game to be able to overcome, the not so few game stopper bugs, or is their a english solution for the problem?

Can I install the 1.08h german version over my english basic version??? If the only side effect would be a change in language to german, I guess I would rather live with that, than the dozens of bugs?
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:37 am
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

The version of the english version is 1.08j.. Notice that j is the letter after h, so there is no point in installing that german version; besides, it would probably only create more problems than it would solve.. There were no other (beyond j) patches for the english version, and if you experience bugs, try switching to win98 surrounding.. or concentrate on other issues (like video drivers).
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:09 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Sorry to hear Gothic has so many bugs on your machine, Michael.
1.08k was the only patch for the English version, all older patches were included at release. I also had the impression some already fixed bugs celebrated a comeback in the English version.

As far as I can remember there are four serious bugs and one commom stability problem.

The stability issue was caused by problems with the SBLive! series of cards. Set the sound provider to DirectSound HW and disable reverb to fix it.

The bug locations are all inside dungeons. So itīs a good idea to save in a new slot before you enter.
1. Old Mine (gate at the bottom) ==>harmless
2. Orc Cemetary ==> complicated, might take more than one try to solve.
3. Free Mine (Gorn problem) ==>harmless
4. showdown (missing item) ==> item insert necessary

btw., if your machine is clearly faster than 1 GHz you can increase the viewing distance even more and disable the FPS lock.
Post Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:40 pm
Michael C
Black Dragon
Black Dragon

Thanks for the answers!

First of all, I got no problems in running the game itself either with sound or graphics. And I know my english version got the 1.08j mark, and it should be a later patch that the 1.08h. Neverless, some of the problems that claims to be solved in 1.08h I still experience in version 1.08J (sometimes). (Closed gates, stocked wenches, mad going NPC's, Stocked NPC's, missing items, Skelet summoning ghost crashes etc.), in other words gameplay bugs. I tried using parts of walkthroughs to solve the problems, or to save and retry on the right times.
I was forced to cheat my way through the game a couple of times, but last week I lend the game to my nephew, and with all respect for his abilities, it's not easy for him to know where the game has a bug, and where you just have to wait to later in the game. And suddenly I realised that Gothic was horrible in this regard. So that's why I asked for a newer english patch.

And Yes Gorath "some already fixed bugs celebrated a comeback in the English version". I can confirm that!

Well I guess I have to travel over to my nephew, and cheat him through the old mine gate.
Post Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:37 pm
hwfanatic
Average Fanatic
Average Fanatic

quote:
..some already fixed bugs celebrated a comeback in the English version..

Why is that ?

Aw, I personally had no "such" problems with my 1.08j Gothic.. My problems were based rather instability..
Post Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:18 am
Mythal
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i have an even better question.

WHERE do you download the english patch?

on pirahna's homesite for gothic all they have is a link to a german gothic page which has the 1.08k patch (and h, and 2 others) but doesnt have 1.08j, and they are all in german.....

no english version of that site either......
and rpgdot doesnt seem to have a DL area for gothic patches, so, where do you DL the patch?

thanks in advance
Post Sat Mar 08, 2003 6:36 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

Actually, RPGDot does have a DL area for Gothic right here.
You'll also find maps, a FAQ, and even mods for Gothic there.
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:51 am
Korzen
Forsaken
Forsaken

So the patches are in the gallery section? That's a bit strange for me.
Post Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:44 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Downloads

O.K. I have the same question. Do I download the 108K patch I found through Val's link for my english version? I have 108j out of the box. I don't want to screw it up. I'm not the most computer wise person in the world. But I need to do something to fix the small hang ups I've been having. Thanks for the help.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:20 am
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

1.08k is primarily a Radeon and GeForce3 fix, mainly addressing graphics problems. It might fix your problems, depending on what they are, but it won't fix all minor bugs.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:51 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Patch

Thanks. I do have Radeon and the problems are all graphics I think. I thought it was sound at first, but when I turned off the music, it was still sticking, either in words/and or movements. I think I just need the patch, and I'm sure I need more rimm, which is coming any day now. Thanks again for the help.
Post Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:12 pm
Steve Courtright
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Crashing on Startup

I also have crashing problems on startup. I have 1.08j out of the box, Was finally able to locate the patch 1.08k where it was hidden. I downloaded and ran it, but all the instructions are in German, which (unfortunately) I don't speak. On the off chance that the patch installed itself I tried to start the game again, but it still crashes and says "version 1.08j has met unexpected fault...." so 1.08k didn't install itself. What now?
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 1:44 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Yes, obviously patch 1.08k didnīt install itself correctly. Did you try to install the patch again?
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:23 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

if u dont have any save games then just unistall the game completly and try to install everything again correctly and if it still says the same then download again that patch sometimes it can be a CRC error and some file can be corrupted inside
Post Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:14 pm
Steve Courtright
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Thanks! I uninstalled and reinstalled the game and the patch & it seems to be working now
Post Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:21 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next