Few Q. about demo
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Pesht
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

*possible spoiler*

Well, just made a guy with the maximum picklock skill possible, and was able to pick both chests in the captain's room. One just has two short swords, the other has a saber and some other good +6dmg sword, but I didn't have the strength to use them. Needed 10str I think. It might be that to pick the chest you can't give enough points to strength to use what's in it, very annoying.

Then I went and picked the door that you need the password to get into, and found the guy in the red armor that you see when you quit the demo, the kind of guys who destroyed the outpost in the first place I think. Anyway, he moves so fast you see these streaks, and one good hit kills you heh. I really can't see being able to ever kill him, but since I'm bored, as if that'll stop me from trying. Again though, to get through the door, you can't be a warrior char, and a warrior char really seems the only one who might have some change against him.

[ This Message was edited by: Pesht on 2002-03-05 02:49 ]
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:38 am
Pesht
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, I killed him, blew up nicely after he died too. His sword needs 12str, and is +10dmg, +3ac, and 60/60 durability though. Shame I can't use it.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:28 pm
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

I find this kind of a combat (with the mouse and lack of pausing ala BG or turn-based ala Fallout or JA) a little bit tricky, I could use some pointers here.
Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:47 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

BTW - has someone compiled a list of what you can combine/cook/create with the items you find?

Post Tue Mar 05, 2002 10:50 pm
Pesht
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

All the things I've made have already been said, flatbread (water+flour+rolling pin+fire), apple pie (water+flour+rolling pin+apple+fire), cooked fish and cooked ribs. Don't know how to make plain pie . . . I really like the idea of a keyring though that you stick all your keys on, so you don't have to check 10 different keys, and they all only take up one inventory slot. With the potions, don't know where I heard it . . . but I know you grind something, put it in an empty bottle, then you need to find some distilling thingie to make it liquid and the final potion.

As far as combat goes, the main key is to keep moving backwards. You power fully up, attack quickly, then fall back while you power up again. That works on all the tavern guys, even if you're going against 3 at a time. Oh, and almost forgot . . . ok, I did forget since I'm editing it now, but anyway, if you walk forward when you hit the button to attack, you do an overhead attack; walk back, stab; walk left, right to left slash; and walk right, left to right slash.

However, the guy in the secret room, he takes alot of more strategy to beat (and saving every time you hit him) I found it really cool how alot of the time when you hit him, it only hits armor, realistic I thought since it makes you have to aim. With him it's the same idea of attacking and falling back, but you have to approatch him, wait for him to start to swing, get back, then dive in when he finishes, and try and get as close as you can before you swing at him. Distance does matter, cause one solid hit from him kills, but he's only nicked me before. You'll want to aim for the head, and it almost seemed towards the armpit, they seemed to be the only areas I could get a solid hit on him.

Two really bad things with him though, one is if he does a thrust attack, almost impossible to avoid, and second when he does his little speedup thing, just run if he does that heh. If done right, combat against him is really amazing, cause it's alot of feigning and dodging and stuff, like a dance.

[ This Message was edited by: Pesht on 2002-03-05 20:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Pesht on 2002-03-05 20:32 ]
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 12:50 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Holly crap this sounds complicated, especially against more than two opponents.

BTW did anybody found way to identify things?

[ This Message was edited by: Sethoris on 2002-03-05 20:48 ]
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:46 am
Pesht
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Nah, not complicated, in general all you need to do is point at the bad guys and just hit the attack button I just over-analyze things.

To identify something you just left click it. It'll show you it's name and stats in the upper left hand corner of the screen, if you have the skill to figure it out. Far as I can tell, that's the only identifing you can do.
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 3:06 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

When I level up I didn't put the points right away to my attributes, and later this star or cross above the moneybag disappeared, how to access this "level up" screen afterwards?

[ This Message was edited by: Sethoris on 2002-03-06 17:40 ]
Post Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:39 pm
Pesht
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

*cackle* Killed the guy in the secret room in one go, though the fight took a good 10 minutes.

I've had the same problem with after leveling, and as far as I can tell, if you don't catch it right away, you're screwed. It might randomly distribute the points for you if you don't catch it, but I'm not sure. Either way, it seems kinda odd. I really hope it isn't that way in the full ver.
Post Thu Mar 07, 2002 6:04 am
PraetorJudis
Village Leader
Village Leader

So what's behind the door then?!!

Post Thu Mar 07, 2002 12:31 pm
Pesht
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, you can get to the room even if you don't kill him, just run away then run back after he follows and close the door to the inn, he won't open it. But it's nothing to see. It's just a room with a stairway leading down, but you can't go down it, something stops you : (
Post Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:11 am
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Pesht, how the hell did you manage to kill that guy in the room with the password, I had only time to look at him and die.

P.S. that ring in the water is Ring of Regeneration.

Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 1:19 am
Pesht
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I posted how to kill him here: http://62.50.36.10:8081/cgi-bin/arxfatalis/english//topic.cgi?forum=2&topic=2&start=20

Rather long read, but if you really want to kill him with physical combat (like a man and not use wussy incinerate;), it'll be faster to read it than take hours to figure it out all like I had to do. If you DO want the quick and easy way though, you can just use the level 9 incinerate spell, though you need to be able to cast it three times.
Post Mon Mar 11, 2002 6:06 pm

Pesht, You only need one incinerate.
Post Fri Mar 15, 2002 11:01 am

Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

Guys, this spell incinerate, it seems I can't find it, little help is appreciated

Post Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:15 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next