Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
TES IV: Oblivion to be pushed back to 02/2006?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

TES IV: Oblivion to be pushed back to 02/2006?

While Bethesda's official website still lists a "holiday 2005" release date for Oblivion, Take Two Interactive has released a <a href="http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20051031006016&newsLang=en" targe="_blank">fiscal report</a> that states that the next installment of The Elder Scrolls series will be pushed back to February 2006 earliest. This is the interesting part of the press release:
<br> <blockquote><em>For the first quarter ending January 31, 2006, $300 to $350 million in net sales and $0.04 to $0.10 in diluted net income per share. In addition to the factors mentioned above, the reduction in first quarter guidance also reflects the movement of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for PC and Xbox 360 from the first quarter to the second quarter and the movement of the Japanese launch of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for PlayStation 2 out of the first quarter and the fiscal year.</em></blockquote>
<br>Please note that their fiscal year ends October 31st, so Q1 would be November 2005 to January 2006, and Q2 starts February 1st 2006 - and this is where they expect Oblivion to be released. In an audio recording of the press conference, which I was following on the internet, they explicitly state that Bethesda told them that they need an "additional development cycle in order to meet the high expectation from gamers".

We are trying to get a confirmation for this from Bethesda...
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:31 am
slak
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

God I hope this isn't true, although if they really need the extra time I can wait, as always i'd rather play a polished product then a pushed one (Dungeon Lords anyone?).
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:32 am
Dyne
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Right, everyone say it with me now!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:06 am
abbaon

Re: TES IV: Oblivion to be pushed back to 02/2006?

Pity.
quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
In an audio recording of the press conference, which I was following on the internet, they explicitly state that Bethesda told them that they need an "additional development cycle in order to meet the high expectation from gamers".

Heh. I kinda doubt that Bethesda conducts communication with its publisher in marketing bullshit. That would scare the hell out of Take-Two.
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:55 am

wait till it's ready.

I agree with Slak - I would much rather wait to play something that the developers felt was ready to be released. I'm sure I'm not the only person that gets all choked up thinking about what Ultima IX could have been....

Look on the bright side, computer parts will probably be a little cheaper by next Feb, so that system you need to buy to play the darn game will be easier to afford.

Still I can understand the fist waving going on.
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:28 am

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Re: TES IV: Oblivion to be pushed back to 02/2006?

quote:
Originally posted by abbaon
Pity.
quote:
Originally posted by Rendelius
In an audio recording of the press conference, which I was following on the internet, they explicitly state that Bethesda told them that they need an "additional development cycle in order to meet the high expectation from gamers".

Heh. I kinda doubt that Bethesda conducts communication with its publisher in marketing bullshit. That would scare the hell out of Take-Two.

It's good practice to inform your publisher when he can expect the game to ship.

BTW, still haven't heard back from Bethesda, but an official reacion should be out sooner or later.
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:19 am

Bethesda said that a demo will not come out because it would be too big, or impractical or something!!! I think because of this set-back, bethesda SHOULD consider some sort of downloadable playable content...possibly one dungeon with an allready made character, but at least something!!!
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:21 am

so my there it goes, my day is ruined. actually my month is ruined. i never preorder a game, but this was an expection. damn damn.

nooooooooooooooooo
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:55 am

doctor_kaz
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

This delay was pretty obviously coming. I doubt that Bethesda ever had any intention of releasing this game in 2005. I said months ago that there was no way that this game would be released this year. If they were that close, we would have heard a lot more about this game by now, and they would be in the very final stages of polishing and bug squashing. They have just remained quiet while Microsoft conveniently spread the expectation that this game would be an X-Box 360 launch title. I don't think that three and a half years is enough time to build this game, which is arguably the most ambitious game ever made. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out in November of 2006.

I am happy that they aren't forcing this game out the door before it's finished. This game looks like it's going to be amazing. A full-fleged RPG with a First Person Shooter engine and incredible graphics and unique AI. I can't wait to just go exploring in towns and the countryside and mess with people and pick silverware off the table and throw it at them while they're sleeping, and stuff like that.
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:21 pm
xabby
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

News confirmed.

Well... I guess this pretty much confirms it. See the news on gamespot. It looks like the game didn't pass Q&A with flying colors.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6136973.html

Although I agree with their decision, I still have this immense sense of sadness and emptiness filling my heart. I literally drooled over this game. I guess it pretty much explains why there was no news on the game such as the system requirements (for PC).

At least this way then can continue working on improving performance and make the game run better on lesser machines.

Oh well. Sucks to be us !!!
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:20 pm

> Although I agree with their decision, I still have this immense sense of sadness and emptiness filling my heart.

Uh, guys, IT'S A GAME. A *GAME*! If it is late in release the world will go on without noticing.
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:58 pm

It's better this way

I'm glad they are taking their time with it. Look what is going on with X3. That game was shipped with a lot of bugs, and the people are not happy about it. If Bethesda needs an extra few months to get the game right, then that's fine with me. My only concern is that they might take out some features if they are not able to get the game done by early 2006.
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:56 pm

Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Bethesda got back to us, telling us that a statement of some sort will be up later on. If it is officially posted on their site, we will bring it on RPGDot as well.
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:03 pm
crpgnut
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

I'm curious to see if, once the hubub dies down, the game doesn't get pushed back even further. Oblivion is catching major grief for what's not been said to be in the game. They may need to take an extra year to add more content and maybe rework the skills some.

If Pete Hines came onto the forums and said that the game was being delayed so that they could put spears, the axe skill, a reworked interface, and to flesh out the dialogue system some more, people might shut up.

Bethesda has lost face. The look like a bunch of lying suits instead of a company that has its' gamer's interests at heart.
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:15 pm

Re: News confirmed.

quote:
Originally posted by xabby
Well... I guess this pretty much confirms it. See the news on gamespot. It looks like the game didn't pass Q&A with flying colors.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6136973.html

Although I agree with their decision, I still have this immense sense of sadness and emptiness filling my heart. I literally drooled over this game. I guess it pretty much explains why there was no news on the game such as the system requirements (for PC).

At least this way then can continue working on improving performance and make the game run better on lesser machines.

Oh well. Sucks to be us !!!

Hey, just for the record, Gamespot's saying the exact same thing, as RPGDot, only their new posting is several hours later.

It's no more official when Gamespot says it than when RPGDot does, I don't think.
Post Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:22 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next