Usergroups
Torn cancelled??
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
Jay
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

As a big Black Isle fan, this seems very grim. To be honest, Torn did not seem to great, but considering that it was being developed by the same team that developed the brilliant Planescape, I was always willing to give it a chance. What annoys me is the highly talented developers who have being fired by Black Isle, rather then placed onto a new product. As garret has said before, things are notlooking good forthe industry.

As for Torn, it was always going to live to live in the shadow of NWN. Considering the urge to move to 3D, the screenshots and videos shown so far looked fairly outdated. The fact that nobody mentioned Torn as the game they were most looking forward said a lot.

I really hope that the team responsible can rise from the ashes and do a 'Troika' ( hope I spelt it right). They have already produced on of the classic RPGs, which for me was the best game Black Isle has ever produced.

I hope that Arcanum is a huge success. If that truly promising RPG suffers the same fate as Planescape, we could soon see the end of truly complex and all enveloping RPGs.

Again, Black Isle, thank you for Planescape, Fallout 2, Icewind Dale etc, and I hope this is not the end.
Post Wed Jul 25, 2001 3:02 am
Hedek
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Yes we are now sure Torn has been cancelled (c my newsbit posted on July 25th).

However, about Black Isle's future we don't know anything. And if BiS closed, I pledge not to ever, ever play a computer game again (except maybe Solitaire).

I mean BiS is such a myth for me, 3 of my 5 fav games are by them (Fallout 1, Fallout 2, PS: Torment), it can't close ! Come on I can't believe Interplay is having financial problems, they're published BGII !

No no no ! I can't.

Anyway TORN was such a strange game, first, the name was critisized, the story didn't seem well defined (especially compared to such a deep and complex level reached in PsT) and, using a new engine, everybody considered it a "test-game" for this new Infinity.

To be honest I'm not sad because of TORN's cancellation but rather because of the doubts and fears (ie. Interplay troubles and BiS closing) that rose along with what was first just a rumor.

Post Wed Jul 25, 2001 10:25 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

I wouldn't be too disappointed that Torn was not in peoples favorite. Only Morrowind and Arx Fatalis really got anyones vote. That and my vote for Gothic <:

Post Wed Jul 25, 2001 11:58 am

I rather distrust Morrowind. I played about 1/3 of Arena, then threw it away - it looked nice, but it was a boring action game, which looked big but it was not (generated towns and dungeons - you knew a few and you knew everything), stupid story (ask for somebody who knows about the place where the next staff piece is, do something for him (meaning go to one dungeon), then go for the staff piece to another dungeon, then ask for somebody who knows about other piece and repeat ...

Quick real time combat, stupid idea how to handle sword (ride by mouse from side to side to swing the sword - how I hated it...).

The worst RPG (well, probably more action game than RPG)I ever saw.

I know that there will be no generated dungeons in Morrowind, but I still suspect that it will be just a quick action game (just Diablo 2 in true 3D)

Mirek
Post Wed Jul 25, 2001 12:09 pm

Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Well Stiletto, you asked for only One RPG and only for this year. I doubt that TORN would have been released this year. But it was high on my list as favourites.
They made the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. system even better than before. They had a lot of good things in the engine. I followed the game closely and was even working on a site about TORN. Seems like a waste of time now however...

...you won't have to unbookmark this site, we'll unbookmark you. - Val
Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Wed Jul 25, 2001 9:12 pm
Garrett

@Mirek: wrong forum

@Hedek: BIS is just a subsidiary of Interplay, so if they close down BIS, they still can publish RPG's via their own Interplay brand - that is of course, if they are not shutting comnpletely down
Post Thu Jul 26, 2001 6:41 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

@Myrth - I am not complaining about a lack of variety in peoples top choices. I am just letting him know that there was not much variety so he should not worry that Torn was not there. It might have been because it was a limited topic, or there are just a couple of really great games coming that everyone is looking forward to. In either case its not much of a hit if your favorite didn't make the list. (Maybe it didn't make the list because he didn't post it?)

Post Thu Jul 26, 2001 10:18 am
Garrett

Great - TORN cancelled, Interplay & New World Computing (=3DO) in financial troubles and Sir Tech will close its doors if they will not find funding within a few weeks...I foresee more troubles, if PC marketing groups will only push RTS & FPS - the RPG boom seems to have passed its peek once again!
My kudos to publishers like Fishtank, JoWood or Interplay - and all the worst wishes to others, especially EA and Activision - I really hope you crashland with your marketing policies - but only the good die young

[ This Message was edited by: Garrett on 2001-07-26 12:13 ]
Post Thu Jul 26, 2001 5:12 pm
Garrett

I will offend some of you probably, but another reason, great RPG's don't get publishers are these MMORPG's!
Post Thu Jul 26, 2001 5:25 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

You might be right. The marketing gurus say MMORPGs are big bucks so that's what the investors jump to.

Reports Myrthos for making me scared and humbled at the mere sight of his name - kayla
Post Thu Jul 26, 2001 7:12 pm

IMHO: there is starting to be little oveercrowded among existing and planned MMORPG. It is fashion now, like DOT.COMs used to be in business. After finding out that only a few MMORPG can earn decent money publishers will return to normal RPGs (at least I hope).

Mirek
Post Fri Jul 27, 2001 4:54 am

Hedek
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Garrett: games developped by Interplay wouldn't be like games develeopped by BiS in my head : there's something more spiritual between BiS and me. It's such a MYTH for me, when I'll be older and have cildren asking me the things that have "changed" my youth I might tell them BiS and skating rather than RPGs and skating...

It's like Lexus and Mercedes. Lexus are more comfortable, cheaper, quieter, more reliable... better. But most people, including me, prefer Mercedes just because of Mercedes' reputation.

Post Fri Jul 27, 2001 4:45 pm
Myrthos
Spoiler of All Fun
Spoiler of All Fun

Well BIS is fully owned by Interplay AFAIK. They publish all RPG's for Interplay. That's why they are involved with Bioware.
Besides that they make their own games, which they publish themselves. That gives them an edge allowing them to do things not every game developer can. So they can come up with marvelous games that, unfortunately, do not always make rocket sales.

Post Fri Jul 27, 2001 6:36 pm
Annelid
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I'm surprised Microsoft didn't buy them up and make everything from them exclusive X-Box titles.

Post Sat Jul 28, 2001 6:44 pm
Maggot
Magister of the Light
Magister of the Light

All in all, I think a safer bet, financially, would have been Torment 2 or something. I'm not saying that it would have been a good game, but I think people would have bought it, anyway.
They could have reused a lot of the production material, I suppose.

The thing is, games don't seem to be created to impress the people that play them anymore. They're created to get people to buy them. I have no doubts that Torn would have been a marvellous game, I would have bought it and be able to play it for months. But the market is full of games that involve less work in creating and cost the same on the shelves.
Post Wed Aug 15, 2001 3:01 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next