Usergroups
Why do we like Fallout?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Fallout

Author Thread
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

Heh, I just got done with Fallout (for the first time) so this thread is perfect for me to rave about it

The game has one of the best atmospheres in any game I've ever played. The world was very well constructed, and I love how you see random bits and pieces of the history as you discover new discs and such. It is a coherent and compellingly dark history, and much of it is hidden from our view (because records are incomplete). The interaction with various people and groups is what makes this game so great; you can trick people, flatter them, insult them, steal from them, ally with them, etc., and your actions all have consequences, in the short-term, or in the long-term (the ending sequences depend a lot on what you do, right?). I love that if you're good enough at sneaking or talking, you can avoid a whole lot of fights, even the final one! One issue I had with the game was that people tended to repeat themselves and not acknowledge that you did something (e.g. some people still complain about raiders even if you wipe them out months ago).

The skills and combat aspects of the game were interesting and gave you a lot of options. You could follow the route to make yourself a Rambo type, or a Cat Burglar type, or a Smooth Operator type, or anything in between. Combat was lacking in intense strategy, and battles tended to be short, but that's fine, because it's not the main focus. No mass-attack abilities (save bursting or 'nading into closely packed dudes), no special abilities beyond fire/swing weapons and use nades, heals, and buffs. Still, overally I liked the combat (nice change of pace from Wiz 8, though I found myself missing it too ).

The one major thing I was disappointed in the game by was the fact that it was so short! I finished the game playing a couple hours a night for less than 2 weeks! I was at level 14, and I explored fully all of the main areas (green circles), did all of the quests I could and explored most of the world map (is there any useful place that's not lit up in green circles??).

I really hope Fallout 2 is longer! But I guess I'll take quality over quantity any day

- Wind
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:18 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

Windwalking:

Fallout 2 is much bigger than Fallout 1 - more places to go, more npcs, more quests, ...
... a great game, but the story and the atmosphere are better in Fallout 1.
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:27 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Yes, Fallout 2 is alot bigger, but i think i like the story in Fallout 1 more.
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:29 am
Windwalking
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

quote:
Originally posted by HiddenX
Windwalking:

Fallout 2 is much bigger than Fallout 1 - more places to go, more npcs, more quests, ...
... a great game, but the story and the atmosphere are better in Fallout 1.

Hmm, so a little sacrifice of quality for a large gain in quantity... Well, sounds like an OK trade-off, can't wait to get to part II!

I think Soulbringer and Planescape Torment are next, though

- Wind
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:33 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Planescape: Torment is great too... i have to dig up my old saves from, umm, this summer and begin to play again.
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:30 am
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

I didn't play PS:T. Is it worth it? (I'm low on money )

=Member of the RPGDot Warriors=
=Member of the Worshipers of the Written World=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Loyal mage of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Gothic Novel Writers=
=Member of the Nonflamers' Guild=
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:38 pm
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Yes its worth it, and you shoul be able to find it very cheap since its some years old!
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:35 pm
Vilgefortz the mage
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Heh, I saw it just after the relese. The price was sick!!!! (at least in my country ), but I will have to wait some time ( I HATE WAITING ) because I'm REALLY low on money

=Member of the RPGDot Warriors=
=Member of the Worshipers of the Written World=
=Member of the RPGDot Shadows=
=Loyal mage of the Alliance of Middle-Earth=
=Member of the Sixth House=
=Member of the Gothic Novel Writers=
=Member of the Nonflamers' Guild=
Post Thu Aug 15, 2002 6:54 pm
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

Fallout is an enigma, and to me one of the greatest rpg's of all time. To me, the success is just the whole setting of it, that alone is enough to captivate me enough just to see whats next. It's as if the nukes hit in 1945, the whole "timetwist" thing is a very fresh approach. The Official Vault Dwellers Guide style manual is truly classic, and quite funny, i really like the way the monopoly guy is used.The simple scripted dialog that happens during battles is hilarious, i dont know what it is, i find myself cracking up while playing! The random encounter thing between destinations give it the penchant of going from pretty easy to suddenly-youre-dead, sucker. Should have reloaded your weapon before you went for a walk. I have Fallout 1 on my machine at work too to mess with at lunch sometimes. Just got Tactics and played that all last night, my one complaint being that it takes so long to play if you go turn-based!

The ability to just go pitch-black *darkside* rpg and see if you can wipe out the entire town, children and all, adds a grittiness and evil snicker that most games dont provide. Most Npc's in the game have no redeeming qualities whatsoever, the game just has an overall malevolence mixed with camp that is unrivaled.
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:41 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

1. Setting and story. Great NPC's great dialogues bad ass stroies in both games.
2. Freedom in the game (much much more so in 2).
3. Grittiness.
4. Blowing people's arms and half their chest off.
5. The SPECIAL system.

Fallout 2 is my number 2 favorite game of all time. I need a 3d Fallout 3. I'd love to even see a 3d Fallout 2 with the Unreal Engine. Damn that would be a fun project to work on ...
Post Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:48 am
xSamhainx
Paws of Doom
Paws of Doom

a Fallout from 1st person, or over the shoulder 3d='.'=
“Then away out in the woods I heard that kind of a sound that a ghost makes when it wants to tell about something that's on its mind and can't make itself understood, and so can't rest easy in its grave, and has to go about that way every night grieving.”-Mark Twain
Post Sun Feb 09, 2003 4:37 am
Kabduhl
City Guard
City Guard

I would prefer the option for either. I think offering both first and 3rd person perspective is really the best way to design a game these days. This way both crowds of people are satisfied and people like me who enjoy to switch between the two for different situations will be in true gaming heaven.

I'm truely tired of top down isometric 2d games and I don't plan on buying any more of them.

I'm perfectly happy to play games that offer a 3rd person perpective or a 1st person perspective though I would prefer both.
Post Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:14 am
ArcturusXIV
City Guard
City Guard

I would love to see a three dee first-person remake of Diablo. And Fallout in first person? That would be HEAVEN.

That said, I never finished Fallout 2. I had a huge problem with it: Repetitious environments and towns. I loved the atmosphere, but every town looked almost exactly the same to me, and the trees were all cases of clone-itis. The world was way too drab, monotonous, and down-to-earth for a person like me.

In any case, that game had some of the best character development and game mechanics ever. Not only that, but the plot ruled, and the dialogue was great. I just wish I could have gotten into the game more...
"Madness is the first step towards unselfishness. Be mad and tell us what is behind the veil of 'sanity'. The purpose of life is to bring us closer to those secrets, and madness is the only means." --Kahlil Gibran
Post Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:40 pm
Hexy
High Emperor
High Emperor

Dialogue and setting were great.

Combat, control and the constant jokes were bad.
Post Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:16 am
Scrivener
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

Besides the cool "fifties meets post-nuclear" atmosphere and the humor, I think the main thing about Fallout 1/2 was that you were actually interested to do the quests and find out what was going on. This is also true of Planescape and Arcanum. With loads of RPGs, it's just very hard to care if about delivering some random item or killing some random troublemaker. Because Fallout had (1) cool characters to interact with and (2) a twisty, original story, set in a freaky atmosphere, it really sucked you in. I *love* that desolate, hopeless feeling in the Fallout atmosphere... sigh...
Post Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:33 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next