BG3... Anyone?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Dungeons and Dragons General

Author Thread
Seth
Last Man Standing
Last Man Standing

BG3... Anyone?

I might be a little late with this one, but...

Ok so apparently the interplay has the rights for the PC D&D game back. Why, why would they wanted back if the CEO stated that the company goes 100% console. The company doesn't have any money (that what everybody is saying); most people who were working on Jefferson project are gone so what gives? Assuming that they will start working on something, after the Lionheart fiasco can one be optimistic? And the FO3 is it still on review stage? I remember hearing that beginning of March IPLY has some statements to make to the shareholders regarding upcoming year.
Post Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:39 pm
Val
Risen From Ashes
Risen From Ashes

They could sell it.
Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:42 am
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

The BG3 saga is a long and complicated one.... First, as far as I know, it's not yet known whether Interplay really regained the rights for BG3; the settlement could have included something else, such as money, for example. That lawsuit started a long time ago; I'm guessing Interplay thought it was a good idea to try and recover the BG license back then. It has good brand name recognition, and is very valuable. Interplay employees (both current and ex) have said that the company simply hasn't the resources (read: money) to maintain a team to complete either BG3 or FO3. Indeed, this seems to be the reason why FO3 was canned: they would not have enough money to fund the team until FO3 went gold. Most of the team who worked on BG3 now work on other projects or other companies -- according to some, the cost to restart Jefferson development would be prohibitive.
Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:57 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

BG is probably strongest "name" in RPG world. So there is probablility that someone will try to make BG3. However strenghts of balrdurs saga are slowly droping down... Not so many "new" players know what it is.
Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:57 am
Ammon777
Warrior for Heaven
Warrior for Heaven

I just wish they'd stop making all these ancient chinese action CRPGs, its making me sick. They should make more games like Baldurs Gate instead!
Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:25 am
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
BG is probably strongest "name" in RPG world. So there is probablility that someone will try to make BG3. However strenghts of balrdurs saga are slowly droping down... Not so many "new" players know what it is.

I know you probably meant the PC version of BG, but the fact is that the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance line of games is selling extremely well in the console world (in fact, I believe that, at the moment, BG:DA is Interplay's only hope of staying alive....)
Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:10 pm
Schattenherz
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Baldur's Gate I+II (not including TOB) are my favourite Games, but I don't want to see a new BG-Game at this time.

Since Hasbro bought WotC and turned D&D into a political correct Swordfighting Game for Preteens (wich remembers me horribly of Penultima, a comical NWN-Mod-Series, where i.e. they are only selling Coffee at the Taverns) and the remaining Programmers at Interplay are only Console-Jockeys, I don't think a BG III could be a good Game if it would be released in the near future.
Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:40 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

Well, I'm about to post some more rumours about BG3 starting back up (*rumours*, not facts) so head over to the news page...
Post Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:21 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

Nah, Reynolds already confirmed he was working on a console title... unless you know something we don't?
Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:14 am
PrincessSuzie
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I just looooooooove Baldur's Gate II series (SoA & ToB)
And I really wish no one would make BG3... it will totally ruin its reputation! It should finish now! The ending in ToB was really worthwhile.. I really wish they wouldnt drag it on....
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:40 am
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Exactly. The story is done. Let it rest and get to work on the next great thing.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:55 pm
Blacklight
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Amen...

Awesome series, so better let it end in glory and triumph.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:18 am
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

As far as I know, BG3 storyline had nothing to do with the previous games. Interplay only used that name because of a) brand name recognition and b) it only had a license to do a BG or IWD game. Besides, from the info that was leaked, before the game was canned, it was looking much better (graphics- and gameplay-wise) than the current crop of CRPGs, in my opinion.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:27 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

I know the story was supposed to be different. However, labelling it '3' infers a relation.

Cashing in on fans because BG is a brand name is a trend that I dislike in CRPGs. I know it's been done forever (Wizardry, etc) but D&D games have always done fine independantly.

"The old world dies and with it the old ways. We will rebuild it as it should be, MUST be... Immortal!"

=Member of the Nonflamers Guild=
=Worshipper of the Written Word=
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:08 pm
goshuto
Wanderer
Wanderer

Well, to tell you the truth I'm not sure it was going to have a '3' in its name. For all we know, it could have been named just Baldur's Gate: The Black Hound without the '3' in there.
Post Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:22 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next