FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Devastating SWG Review at Guru3D
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > News Comments

Author Thread
Lizard

Given that he can barely string two sentences togther coherently, I am disinclined to take his review seriously. I was in the beta for the past month, and, while I experienced several of the specific issues he mentioned, it's also obvious he went in with his own personal vision of the game based on what he imagined it should be, then reviewed the game based on how it didn't match up to that vision. It's akin to walking into Terminator III expecting it to be a romantic comedy, then claiming it sucked because it wasn't.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:58 pm

Gravel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Well, i have to tell you, as an old Beta tester of SWG, this guy is telling the truth, plain and simple. All he said was:

they released a game that wasn't finished yet, and the people that are playing it now are paying for Beta 4 bug testing.

So the truth will smack you in the face he ? Bc it is so true.........
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:23 pm
Hyrrix
Fourty-two
Fourty-two

Snoekie >> Yes, I very much agree with your post too. I think the main thing is that SWG combines a lot of the elements that were already to be found in previous games. Just now they're all combined in 1 game with superior graphics and in a Star Wars setting.
(the sell-back skills in Neocron was done by some kind of pills... Loss of Memory pills or something). So, SWG certainly is a nice game, but I personally believe there's no reason to give this name a "unique" label. I wouldn't by far declare SWG as the best mmorpg currently out there. Not at this point. Which doesn't mean that you (or I) won't like it.

I just don't understand why people get so agitated over this. RPGdot just reported that there's a review out there that doesn't have any positive word to spare for SWG. That's our job, isn't it?
We should've warned that it was based on beta? Hmm, based on beta or not; it's the same game as you currently play. He can't review a game that maybe will be in 6 months, can he?
Well said, Yeesh, that's exactly what I meant.

Anyway, I think this discussion is also one of the functions of this site. It's good that people discuss over a game. But blaming RPGDot for reporting about a negative review?

And please don't get mad at people for disliking a game you like; or the other way round. It's not a crime
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:41 pm
Farscry At Work

tired of incomplete games heading to retail

MMO's are services, not products.

That said, would you want to go to a hotel and pay full price when not everything is ready? "Well, these aren't the final sheets. Those will be cotton and silk; in the meantime you can settle for these burlap sheets. You'll still pay the full price, though." "Oh, well, not all the cable channels area available, but we'll work out those kinks over the next few months"

and on and on.

That's why it's *perfectly* valid for a reviewer to review the initial release of an online game. "But it's my free month!" you say. No it's not; that "free" month is worked into the price of the client software, and frankly I'd rather use my "free" month on a COMPLETE game that's actually retail-ready.

I'm tired of companies offering incomplete online games just because people will be suckered into paying for the last phase of beta-testing under the sad excuse "but it's an online game, they aren't ever complete! That's what the Live team is for!"

Uh, no, the Live team is there to add to and enhance the game, not finish and correct its gaping flaws.
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:27 pm

drjones

Jeepers

In the wold of investment we have seen how biased financial advisors gave inflated 'reviews' of stocks that their companies had a financial intrest in. A look in every large game review site or mag and you see the same thing, tons of hype and inflated reviews of crapola games that they have an intrest in advertising.

Weither you like the game or not, the author has done a great service to at least a few folks who would have thrown a big chunk of money away on what sounds to be a big dissapointment. He is right about one thing, we have to draw the line and pay for good product or all we will get is shit.

I'm sure back in the boom days ENRON boosters could not stand any criticism of their golden calf either. Look where it got them.

-drjones
Post Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:43 pm

(jaja, zelfs hier kom ik u lastigvallen :p )
No, what's your point Hyrrix? Just because some features aren't very original doesn't mean those features are bad. There haven't really been any new features since UO and EQ. But I'll wait till I have really played the game before posting my opinion...
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:26 am

Test

Pretty close to an AO style launch. First the registration servers were in acessible, now the login server and game servers are flaky, with frequent disconnects, and the servers just plain going down left and right.

You'd think with the number of servers they brought up, it would have gone a little better.

Luckily EB gives 10 days to return defective software, so I'll give'em a few more days, but these problems were never really worked out in beta, so I don't anticipate them being smooth anytime soon.

What I potentially see them doing is kicking back some extra free time to play till they get their crap together, probably a week or two, if they don't, there will be massive returns of the game to the store, because frankly, it's not even close to being playable yet.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:12 am

Utnayan

Just wanted to say that I was the person responsible for that review, as I wrote it. Sorry for the grammar mistakes -- but right about now I guess you could say I was spot on. Especially with what will be the worst launch ever in history.

Here are some updates:

asommers: We've had several unique hardware failures on various machines that control communication with our database servers.
asommers: We've resolved all of those issues and are awaiting configuration changes for the new boxes.

CSRRobertN: We are currently experiencing a blank character select, where the UI elements will not load/appear.
CSRRobertN: The proper people have been apprised of the situation and are looking into it
CSRRobertN: There is no ETA at this time

I have also been told by SW CSR's that players should expect server instability at least throughout the weekend - with possible character wipes.

If people need verification of this: Just check out the SWG Tech forums -- which is now up to around 2500+ posts in a little less then 12 hours, or any various SWG fan site forums.

For what it is worth, I wanted Star Wars to succeed more then anyone. But I am not going to stand by and watch Lucasarts and Sony clean up on an overhyped and bug ridden product, which by now you can see for yourself where I was coming from. I would never be able to do that with a clean heart. And if you think the technical problems are enough to keep you away, justhow bad do you think it is going to be when you realize they didn't fix half of the broken content issues with regards to crafting, classes, content, missions, and scripts?

I usually do not care what people do with their money -- but when it sets more precendants for people to actually release garbage like this knowing the consumer will pay them for it no matter how it is released, it hurts the entire gaming community.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:56 am

Test

Doubt it will be worse than AO.

We'll know in a few days.

.. and just try to post anything on the main boards, you'll be run down by packs of vicious fanboys if it's at all negative.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:12 am

methusala
Tempered Warlord
Tempered Warlord

Okay....the facts are SWG sucks big time and for people that don't know that yet,go out and buy it and play for awhile. Make up your own minds.I personally admire the reviewer for saying things that should have been said before and for things that should be obvious to us all.SOE ia a money-hungry company that has and will put out crap because it knows people will pay for it.I think SWG will appeal to the very young and their friends,they don't know any better. I look at it this way,at least they'll be playing SWG and not a game that I'll be playing in the future.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:36 am
beasty396
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I beta the game and it is the worst game I ever tested.
Best grahics - worst game play.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:39 am
xmad

well i was in beta 3, after shadowbane the only beta i stoped to play.
Run over boring planets to shoot boring things...eg had an better content.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:27 am

Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

lol ho man, that guy *ripped* SWG...
Well, with the money SOE and LA have, there is absolutely no reason for all this half-baked errors still surfacing. Now all the featured selling points arent included and will be add-ons for sale?
Thats f*cK8n corny.
Man, I was this games #1 fanboi for a long time, but like I said, with all the money and success these two companies have between them, there is no WAY anyone should be able to give it such a shitty review.
Even with the stuff he was exaggerating about, the rest of these beta testers arent saying he's lying, just that he might be stretching the truth...

Damn. I wanted to buy this game so bad too. Oh well...back to G2
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:54 pm
Shrapnel
Rocket Scientist
Rocket Scientist

Re: Check out the tech forums.

quote:
Originally posted by Utnayan
This launch will make AO look like a Blizzard title.

LOL...Classic!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Loremaster
"as long as we bomb less than AC2 did we should be ok".
\

ouch. FYI, AC2 didnt bomb until people actually played it
Thats when the exodus began
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:59 pm

Yes, I'd like to know how you came to your conclusion as the game has been on shelves less than 24 hours.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:01 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next