Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
How do you get English subtitles for ENTIRE German version?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

How do you get English subtitles for ENTIRE German version?

I've seen somewhere in the forums that people enjoy playing the entire German version of G2 and expansion with English subtitles. I will be using the German G2 Gold edition to play the addon and would like to try this, rather than mixing my English version with the German add-on.

I haven't recieved my G2 Gold yet and so haven't been able to mess around with it. Is it as simple as extracting the English subtitles from the North American version and replacing the German ones with them - like moving a folder over? Somehow I doubt it is that simple.

Can someone be kind enough to explain how to do this? Thanks.
Post Sat May 22, 2004 1:14 pm
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

Hey there Jabberwocky,
Hope you've recovered after the missing dragons episode

Just from experience, i found that in Gothic (1) that if you installed the mod player kit, which (generally, unless you'r clever) has to be like for like, e.g German M/P kit for the German game, then you could play any mod from the same variant, but then i found that by using a different language patch, which
would not normally be possible to install, in fact it WOULD play through the player kit, and furthermore you could get the german speech menu's in the English game!
Bearing this in mind, you might try utilising this same method with G2, only just recently i found there are G2 mods, Bumshak, Darkmage, Fightcontest.
which would nead the relevent kit to play.
I personally have not tried this yet but may well give it a go soon.
Post Sat May 22, 2004 8:10 pm
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

G2DNdR ETM works with the german Gothic II Die nacht des Raben addon installed over both german Gothic II or english Gothic II versions.

You can find it in here:
http://www.rpgdot.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=89259&start=0

Post Sat May 22, 2004 8:43 pm
Jabberwocky
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

@ Wulf: Yeah, I must be pretty fear-inspiring - those dragons were so scared they dissappeared for good! Maybe the German Gold version will bring them back.

@ Everyone: Um, I think maybe I wasn't clear in what I had in mind. I've already downloaded the beta version of the English subtitles for the German Add-on. (Many thanks Cothyso) But that only puts English subtitles in for NOTR, right? What I want is to play the German version of the REST of the original Gothic 2, but with English subtitles in it as well. I hope that makes sense.

@ Wulf: Maybe you were answering my question and I'm just not understanding. Are you saying that to do this I would have to play through a mod-kit?
Post Sun May 23, 2004 2:32 am
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Ok, you seem to be the one who didn't got it... but I'll explain it to you.

First, no matter what version of Gothic II you're using, german one or english one, when you'll install DNdR it will make EVERY written text in german (so, if you had the english Gothic II, all the texts from it will be in german after you'll install the addon). The ONLY difference between the german and the english versions of Gothic II, after you'll install the DNdR addon, is that if you have the german Gothic II, you'll have all the spoken dialogs (ie dialog sounds) in german and with german subtitles, while if you had the english Gothic II version, you'll have the Gothic II spoken dialogs in english while the new oned from DNdR will be in german and both of them will be subtitled in german.

What mod does is to change ALL the text from a DNdR install, no matter if you had the german or english version, in english.

Hope it's clearer now
Post Sun May 23, 2004 7:30 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

@cothyso,

Thank you for the "simpler" explanation, it does make the situation a lot clearer, and good news for those wishing to make the changeover, but more-so
thanks for ALL your infos' and keeping us all informed "as-you-go"
Post Sun May 23, 2004 8:41 am
cothyso
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

You're welcome! And btw, check the mod's thread in 15 mins from now, a new version is coming (v1.0b4)
Post Sun May 23, 2004 8:46 am
Daedalus
High Emperor
High Emperor

nice some bugs were fixed in it ?
Post Sun May 23, 2004 8:58 pm