View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 - Troubleshooting

Author Thread
mosume_lover11
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

I cant get gothic 2 to run

hello, im desperate!
several weeks ago i purchased gothic and installed it with no problem. i played it for a couple of weeks and one day i installed service pak one and some windows updates. i then played the game with no problem for a day then the following day it wouldnt start i tryde reverting my drive but that failed i tryde to uninstall most of the updates some uninstalled, i havent uninstalled service pak one for fear of the problems i would have. i updated my video card and audio card drivers, i replaced Vdfs32e Ini tool several times and none of that worked. i uninstalled gothic and reinstalled it and everytime wiping clean every piece of gothic that i could find for a clean installed that didnt work. the only thing witch i notice that the computer does is that when i shut down that computer i see this message
(End Program-CRTCClient) which i dont have the a clue what that means exept that the window with this message seems to be windows is trying too shut down a program. well it cant and i have to manually shut it down. then when windows is shuting down the gothic 2 banner shows up briefly and then the computer shuts down. ive tride contacting Jowood and all that they have sent me is some stupid message directing me to some other party for help such as encore USA which i emailed and havent recieved any reply from.
i dont know what to do can u please help me.
P.S. the disks dont seem damaged.
My specs are:
windows xp home edition
service pak 1
Pentium 2 gig processor
intel D850mv mother board
1280 megbytes of rambus ram
2 gigs aloted of virtuall memory
Intel i850 chipset
Radeon 9800 pro 128
Catalyst 3.7
creative soundblaster audigy platinum internal
master Liteon DVD-ROM LTD163D
slave Liteon-on CD-ROM LTR-32123s

Last edited by mosume_lover11 on Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:35 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

:game starts only once:
This indicates the .exe is changed after the first start, so it cannot pass the copy protection check the 2nd time.
You should download an up to date virus scanner and eliminate spyware. Uninstall Zonealarm before you install Gothic 2. If you have the UK version then closing it is probably enough.

:Encore:
This is idiotic by JoWooD. Your box should have either an Infogrames logo (--> Atari UK) or an Atari logo (-->Atari.com). So the reason Encore doesn´t answer is that they have nothing to do with Gothic 2.
Post Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:16 am
mosume_lover11
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

how do elliminate spyware

thanx for the reply but how do i eliminate spyware on my computer i dont have kazaa i onlly use mirc file sharing software and winmix. also should i completely unistally my norton 2002 antivirus before reinstally gothic 2. and my version of gothic i purchased in the US and my firewall software is part of my DSL modem which is manufactured from a company called "2 WIRE" which i purchased through my SBC Yahoo DSL internet service.
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:26 am
ServanteS
Captain of the Guard
Captain of the Guard

for spyware search on Google for program named AdAware
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:23 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: how do elliminate spyware

quote:
Originally posted by mosume_lover11
thanx for the reply but how do i eliminate spyware on my computer i dont have kazaa i onlly use mirc file sharing software and winmix.

Everybody has spyware on his system. As ServanteS said, google for AdAware and SpyBot. Install both and make sure you have the latest updates. You should of course be careful when you´re using such software.

quote:
also should i completely unistally my norton 2002 antivirus before reinstally gothic 2.
It´s an option. You said it worked for weeks and suddenly stopped. So you know that your system can run G2 correctly but you installed something which disturbes it now. Logically you would have to find out which program it is.
I would first update and use the virus scanner, then kill the spyware and then uninstall Norton AV.

quote:
and my version of gothic i purchased in the US

Both versions are sold in the US. The UK version comes in a DVD box.

quote:
and my firewall software is part of my DSL modem which is manufactured from a company called "2 WIRE" which i purchased through my SBC Yahoo DSL internet service.
If you ran this software also when G2 worked correctly it shouldn´t be the problem.
Post Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:08 pm
mosume_lover11
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i still cant get gothic too start

Gorath ive done what u said and i still cant get the damm game to start. is there some way of keep the .exe file from being corrupted and ive uninstalled gothic and reinstalled it several time but is there some play on my computer where gothic mite be leaving some of its self behind which interferes with the new install. please help me!
Post Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:39 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

I'm no pro at it, but Jowood and Atari files may not have been deleted when you deleted the game. Do a search for all files with thoses words in them and delete them. I know I had that trouble before. As for Nortons, be sure to just turn it all off, including any monitoring programs if you have them such as come with Norton System works, before you try to reinstall the game. Also be sure your internet connection is shut down before installing. For some reason my game tried to register online before it was even installed all the way.
Mark Twain
Post Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:10 am
Izmarel
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Formate your computer and install Win 2000 or XP pro. XP home is a terrible thing. Can make you go mad and throw the computer out the window. Happened to my mate once.
Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:59 pm
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: i still cant get gothic too start

quote:
Originally posted by mosume_lover11
Gorath ive done what u said and i still cant get the damm game to start. is there some way of keep the .exe file from being corrupted and ive uninstalled gothic and reinstalled it several time but is there some play on my computer where gothic mite be leaving some of its self behind which interferes with the new install. please help me!

You can only avoid the corruption if you identify the cause. Eliminate the source of the corruption and the problem is solved.
How old is your windows installation and how important is your data? Maybe you should really consider format c: and a fresh windows.
Post Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:57 pm