Usergroups
The monsters are getting tougher, to bad I'm not
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

The title says it all. I'm roaming around the swamp, crossed over the water, via a handy little wooden sway bridge, walked along the ocean shore (neat tide effects, don't know if I've ever played a game that had a tide) walked around a mountain into a cave area, and BAMM!!I get nailed by three monsters, that on their first attack killed 7 of my 8 characters, leaving my fruity little gadgeteer to defend for himself. I've tried going into this same area three times now and the outcome is always the same: 6 to 7 dead on the first attack. LIke I said "the monsters are getting tougher, to bad I'm not." Where is Nellik's Sword now that I really need it.
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:13 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Sounds to me like you've made it to Bayjin. The other possibility is the mine tunnels. The mine tunnels shouldn't be too bad unless you got to the swamp early. If you're tooling around the swamp, you probably aren't ready for Bayjin yet. You should have mucked thru Trynton already. If you haven't, you need to. Important plot stuff and a good bit of experience points to grow your nasties. Return to whence you came!

[edit] Don't suppose the monsters were Rynjin? Those guys are there to keep you out of Bayjin too soon. Without the spell "soul shield", the Rynjin will crunch your bones. With it, their still nasty at the point in the game I think you're at.

[ This Message was edited by: dteowner on 2002-03-22 14:41 ]
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:38 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, it looks like you first encountered Rayjin (small group of them is guarding tunel to Bayjin, where is a lot of them).

They are one of most dangerous enemies in whole game.
When I look on your description, I must say, you are not strong enough to fight with them. Train your character a little bit more and even then it will be very very difficult battle.

Golden rules for fighting with groups of Rayijins are:
- "cast soul shield" is first thing you should do (nearly every group of Rayjin contains several Rayjin spellcasters)
- if you have strong melee fighters try to go quickly near to magic Rayjins (they will atack you with legs and stops casting spells, their melee atack is deadly, but far less dangerous than their spells).
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 9:31 pm
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2002-03-22 14:38, dteowner wrote:
Sounds to me like you've made it to Bayjin. The other possibility is the mine tunnels. The mine tunnels shouldn't be too bad unless you got to the swamp early. If you're tooling around the swamp, you probably aren't ready for Bayjin yet. You should have mucked thru Trynton already. If you haven't, you need to. Important plot stuff and a good bit of experience points to grow your nasties. Return to whence you came!

[edit] Don't suppose the monsters were Rynjin? Those guys are there to keep you out of Bayjin too soon. Without the spell "soul shield", the Rynjin will crunch your bones. With it, their still nasty at the point in the game I think you're at.

[ This Message was edited by: dteowner on 2002-03-22 14:41 ]

Don't know about Baygin (I'm at work now, game's at home). But the map is of the swamp, I just met the Dark Savant and got the fake item. The cave area that I'm talking about was by two huts.
Don't know abouty Rynjin either, I'm dead before I can even get a fix on these guys, they hit me from a distance, and are partially hidden by trees.
I think that I'm a little to weak for this area, I might have to lower the combat setting a notch (I hope I'm not playing on sissy now, because if I am, then I'm really hurting)
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 9:34 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes, as I said group of Rayjin is guarding cave that leads from Swamps to Bayjin.

There are very strong...
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:17 pm
Vox Clamant
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Max ...

I might be misreading this, so if I'm all wet, laugh and ignore this.

But ... sounds like you might have fallen into the same use-it-or-lose-it trap I did with Wiz (even true for Wiz 7 and before.) You "save your mana" for important uses, so never build your skills up to the highest levels.

Use spells whenever you can. Especially, cast the protection spells (v. magic, etc) and even torchlight with settings up in the Yellow/orange range. If it backfires, rest and try again. The point is you QUICKY and EASILY get critical spells up to high levels.

The area you're describing absolutely requires those high skill levels to have protection from magic, enchanted blade, etc working when you enter.

Just MHO.

Post Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:15 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Yes good tip I copied it into hints and tips .
Post Sat Mar 23, 2002 7:14 am
Max Killen
Exalted Potentate
Exalted Potentate

quote:

On 2002-03-22 20:15, Vox Clamant wrote:
Max ...

You "save your mana" for important uses, so never build your skills up to the highest levels.

That's exactly what I'm doing. I will change my game play. Thanks for the advice
Post Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:36 pm