Usergroups
Powergamers in MMORPGS, yuk! :-(
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > MMORPGs General

Author Thread
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Since we had this newsbit about tips for DAoC at Voodooextreme (Apache teaches people how to level up as fast as possible): These folks, always running, always camping and always doing everything to get their characters powerful as fast as possible are the reason why I stopped playing MMORPGs.

So: If you are a powergamer, explain to me what fun that is. And if you are like me, tell me how you cope with them

Post Sun Oct 21, 2001 7:34 am
Annelid
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

They don't do it for the roleplaying and adventure like we do. They do it for the competition.

Post Sun Oct 21, 2001 8:31 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

it's a man thing:

they want to be the leader of the pack

---

that leads to another question:

why are only a few women out there that are playing rpgs ?

Hx
Post Sun Oct 21, 2001 8:44 am
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Girls like quickies - The women I know playing computer games are in for a quick treat, 5 minutes of adventure pinball, 5 minutes of atomic bomberman and things like that. RPGs are for weirdos *g*, think manuals and a lot of useless (regarding real life) stuff to learn.

And there is a more down to earth aspect in this: RPGs are martial, conflict oriented. Most of the RPGs out there are a blood fest. Women like to experiment, like to watch and see what happens (I think that The Sims is a big seller amongst women, like Myst).

Annelid put it right with "They do it for the competition". Women like cooperation.

Of course I am generalizing here, but in general I think I am right

To HiddenX: "they want to be the leader of the pack" - you are right. Well, seems we are more of adventurers, ever learning children. I feel fine that way

Post Sun Oct 21, 2001 5:22 pm
Mollusken
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

There are indeed other goals in life than having 9 level 80 characters in Diablo 2 and completing Baldur's Gate 2 with a solo character. Enjoy the story of the games, not the fighting!
Post Mon Oct 22, 2001 6:02 am
HiddenX
The Elder Spy
The Elder Spy

I agree with you Mollusken, one other thing:

many of the younger rpg players i know, start with getting a cheat tool and a walkthrough before start playing, boosts their stats to maximum, an then begin the game...
... after playing some time they say the game is boring, too easy, and why have the characters a level limit ...

i say:
character development is an essential component of rpg-playing -> DON'T cheat !
use walkthroughs only if you really don't know what to do next.

getting better stats is fun, but in my opinion only if you have earned it by solving quests.

Hx
Post Mon Oct 22, 2001 7:18 am
Stiletto
God Emperor
God Emperor

When I used to MUD I think you would probably consider me a "Power Gamer". I enjoyed getting the best kit for my character. This was of course without any sort of cheating. Seeking the most powerful items was quite a quest, and it gave you something to strive for in the overall game. When someone added a new zone, it was great to go in and see if they added anything better! Of course it made it easier to survive going into the new zones without running with your tail between your legs. Once I had my outfit, I tended to just sit around and chat myself. Am I the one you hate Ren? <:

Post Mon Oct 22, 2001 1:40 pm
Raldor
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

I don't think I'd qualify as a powergamer, but I think I have a little of it in me. For me, it's because character development has always been one of my favorite, or maybe even my very favorite part of RPGs. I'm not talking about character development as far as my backstory and things like that. I mean building my character's power and getting new equipment.

I know that's not what real (pen&paper) RPGs are about, but many CRPGs focus on this and I love it. So when I'm playing a game, yes, I'm focused on trying to improve my character's power, sometimes quickly. I would never cheat or exploit to do this though, and I don't even like reading walkthroughs. When I played EQ, I even occasionally dabbled in roleplaying, although it annoyed me sometimes.

When I group with people, I prefer we're being productive, but at the same time, I can't stand being with people who are completely obsessed with exp or loot. I really like it to be a nice and casual environment, but believe it or not, some people (especially in the high level EQ game) make it into more of a job than a game.

The other night, my girlfriend was playing DAoC and was grouped with some people. After a while she logged off in frustration because some guy in her group was so hell bent on getting exp as fast as possible, that he was being rude to people in the group including her. There was another player in the group that he had deemed "weak" so he disbanded the group and wanted to reform without him so they could level faster. Hearing this reminded me of one of the reasons I don't play EQ any more.

So I guess I fall somewhere in between. You won't see me in game just hanging out at a tavern roleplaying (not often anyway), but I can't hang with the serious powergamers either.
Post Mon Oct 22, 2001 2:25 pm
Rendelius
Critical Error
Critical Error

Roleplaying for me is a mixture of acting and being like I am. I RPG's, I seldom choose a bard or a baker to play, because it isn't me. I would be something like an adventurer, interested in getting nice equipment as well as in helping someone bringing his tuff from A to B. I had the most fun with folks who played their role themselves, who didn't talk out of character and did play for pleasure. OF COURSE I tried to get more powerful and to get the best euqipment out there - but this wasn't all I was interested in. In UO, I practiced saome fishing and cooking, since I wanted to be able to make my own meal when out adventuring. Both skills are useless per se (ok, fishing added to your dex and cooking to your int), but I was never interested which skill raises which stats. When I decided to do some cooking, I was interested in being able to cook

Post Mon Oct 22, 2001 2:31 pm
Mollusken
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

Playing a CRPG is just like reading an adventure book. You enjoy the story, you enjoy your progress and you don't really care how you complete the story as long as you do it in a way you like.
Post Mon Oct 22, 2001 7:35 pm
Thief
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

In DaoC are special roleplaying servers if i'm correct. I didn't check though..
Post Wed Oct 24, 2001 8:35 pm
GoAt
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

i actualy perfer to stay at lower levels, makes the game more chalengeing, and forces me to use my thinking. this is why i left Diablo. its more for powerplaying than knowing what the story is about.
Post Fri Nov 02, 2001 6:53 am
The Hulk
Avenger, Defender
Avenger, Defender

Well, in Everquest, I was mostly a powergamer I guess, but I did take time to talk to people, just go exploring, make new friends, etc. It was just a really awesome feeling to be the highest level of your particular class on a particular server(and I even had a job at the time) and try to maintain that lead(which I eventually lost). I guess it is the same way in real life. If you have a job with lots of room for advancement, you naturally want to advance to the better and higher paying positions and eventually get to the top before you retire.
I remember seeing other people in the game though who made me look like a total timewaster, they would spend every moment just totally focused on powerleveling. I remember grouping with a troll named Guum on E'ci server who was like that. He kept up such a fast and furious pace with pulling monsters to our group, that it was really stressful and exciting and challenging. I felt like at any time I could have died, but somehow we worked so well together, we managed to keep each other alive and defeat the enemies. Brings back some memories.
Post Tue Feb 19, 2002 9:56 pm
EverythingXen
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

POwerlevelers are easy to deal with in a MMORPG.

Ignore 'em.

They're there to do what they want to do. This is what they pay for, this is what they like... so who are we to tell them not to do it (unless, like griefers, it interferes with another players enjoyment). They'll powerlevel and leave you in the dust. You'll keep doing what you do, they'll be bored and leave, and you'll continue on.

For some people it IS all about beating the game. Being the very, very best. And that's fine. Don't let them get to you... perhaps your 'slow leveling' or 'weak' playing style is just as offensive to them? Perhaps they say "Augh! He pays 20 bucks a month to go up ONE level a week? What a waste! I hate guys like that."

And, from a certain point of view, perhaps he's correct.

But it's not your point of view. So...

Ignore it.

[ This Message was edited by: EverythingXen on 2002-02-19 23:22 ]
Post Wed Feb 20, 2002 5:21 am

quote:

For some people it IS all about beating the game. Being the very, very best.

Yes exactly. Who sets out on a new game with visions of being so-so, or mediochre? I enter a new game and the same pattern develops for me: 1)Play game learn a little of everything and if I like it: 2) Re-Make a new char that knows the in and outs of the game and conquer it. So when I play AC Im doing one of two things 1) Powerleveling 2)Roleplaying a nice guy while I sell excess loot off for cash or Roleplaying a greedy bastard when Im muling all my excess loot and treasure to my mules. Roleplaying *is* fun...when Im the most powerful, strongest roleplayer on the server. When I'm not, hehe, then I have to roleplay a power-hungry, overly competitive type 'a' personality power-leveler. Now, PLs are different from griefers. PL dont care what you do as long as their stats and skills are top notch, griefers however, are the ones who take time from their day to tell you how better they are than you, or why your style of gameplay doesnt compare to theirs, I dont do this. In fact, the best time to catch me is in a town when Im selling loot cause thats the only time I slow down and give away items, money, and most importantly, advice to new users on where to hunt where to quest etc etc.
Post Thu Feb 21, 2002 3:21 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next