Is Arx Fatalis another Gothic?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Arx Fatalis

Author Thread
Kranky
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Is Arx Fatalis another Gothic?

What I mean, is this game another title like Gothic that was overlooked by critics and consumers but happens to be a top notch RPG experience for any fan of the RPG genre? I'm looking for another RPG, and I seem to have played most of them. Arx Fatalis is one that I keep coming back to, though, and I'm about to give it a try. What is your opinion of Arx Fatalis? It almost looks like Morrowind. Does the gameplay resemble that game?
Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:25 am
Hindukönig
Guards Lieutenant
Guards Lieutenant

Re: Is Arx Fatalis another Gothic?

Arx Fatalis is meant to be an unofficial Ultima Underworld successor. But IMHO it doesn't reach its spiritual predecessors. The inventory is lame, the story is awkward, the skill-system is strange, the dialogues aren't dialogues, the world is undersized (even in comparison to Ultima Underworld!), etc. pp.

But it had atmosphere, that's the reason why I played it. Buy it, you will love some moments, but after all, it's a strangely lame.
Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:20 pm
bjon045
Fearless Paladin
Fearless Paladin

It starts off good but towards the end I started to get a little bit bored with it, but I don't regret playing it. I would recommend playing as a Mage or Fighter type character as some of the thief skills have a few issues. Stealth was good for picking pockets but I could probably count the number of times i succesfully snuck up on an opponent on one hand. Pretty much 90% of my backstabs would have been done using a bow. I would rate it slightly below gothic 1 and well below G2.
Post Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:35 pm
balconygolf_ThE_bRiDe
Alien Dwarf
Alien Dwarf

LOL strange story and shit....The game is great.Intelligent, sophesticated and intruduces a whole new meaning at the world gameplay.By the way the inventory is the best I ever saw.Easily opened/closed and you can interact directly with the enviroment or even in combat mode.Also the spell system that was to far away from other games.The story its very solid and finally something new not just a typical storyline of "I am the hero , king's faithful server, I slay orcs ,I rich , I big warrior ,I fight till the end".
In Arx if you dont want to fight then dont.You can become a skillful thief or even the cleverest merchant.
Post Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:04 pm