Screenshots
   Videos

Miscellaneous
   Staff Members
   Privacy Statement

FAQ
Members
Usergroups
Is it my graphics card or my CPU that's the problem?
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Oblivion - General

Author Thread
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Is it my graphics card or my CPU that's the problem?

Hi there. I turned most of the details down right away and whereever I go it's always slightly sluggish, just a bit choppy. The weird thig is it's like that inside as well as outside.

I noticed just now that performance is the same if I have the view distance at about 70% with the distant land off, as it is if I max it out and have distand land on. Also, anywhere inside where there are NPCs it's always slightly choppy too.

So I'm wondering if this indicates the problems's with the CPU and not the graphics card.

Also, it's always kinda dark outside. If I turn brightness up is washes everything out so I leave it about 50% and turn my graphics card's gamma up a bit but everything still stays dark. Why is that?

Thanks very much.

Athlon 3500+ Nvidia Geforce 6800
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:44 am
odex
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Sounds like something's a bit off... Do you have the latest drivers for your graphics card? If you don't I suggest you grab the latest version.
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:22 am
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by odex
Sounds like something's a bit off... Do you have the latest drivers for your graphics card? If you don't I suggest you grab the latest version.

I had the new ones then switched to the 84.25 beta one's that everyone seems to say to use. I just did a clean install of windows and formatted my drive. I'm playing at 1024 x 768 with x2AA. Would you expect it to run better?
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:46 am
Bigpapa
Stranger from north
Stranger from north

I think something is eating up your resources, since i have no problems with my set up, which is a bit lower than yours, running at 1024 x 768 too.

Intel prescot 2,8 ghz
MSI 865PE NEO2 motherboard
Sounblaster Audigy
1,5 gig ram
Radeon x850xt
2 ide hds
1 sata hd

And having Oblivion installed to ide hd. I don't know if it matters much, but i have done some tweakings to my system and i do weekly check with spybot and lavasoft adaware. Fact is, i f you have bs progs running backround, those causing a huge performance hit and slowing down your computer.
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:33 am
Wulf
The Shepherd
The Shepherd

I go along with Bigpapa, almost...

"Processes" rather than "Resources"

Esc + left ctrl will get you out from Oblivion while it is still running and ctrl-alt-del will then show the total "current running processes" - get the number as low as possible. Disable those not required.

"Apperture window" --->

With 1028mb system memory the win-xp recommended default is 25% allocated to the apperture window setting in the mobo' bios, my Geforce N6800(512mb) would not allocate enough resources at the default setting! and was showing grotesque graphics! to the point of unplayability.....so i dropped down the bios setting from 265mb to 128mb "apperture window" and everything turned out roses, smooth seamless gameplay at 1024/768.
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:04 pm
odex
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Phil5000, how much RAM do you have? If you have 1GB or more I would expect it to run better than it sounds like it's doing.

Have you done any tweaks to your .ini file?

Anyway, I don't know how much of a performance hit you take using HDR, beacuse I can't use it, but see if there's a big difference between HDR and Bloom.

Try turning tree, item and object fade far down, at least under half-way.

Turn off grass shadows.

Also, if you edit your "My Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Oblivion.ini" you can change your grass density, which is a big resource hog. It's the "iMinGrassSize=80", change the value to something like 120 or 130.

But what sounds weird is your gamma/brightness problem... You could take a screenshot to see what it looks like outside of the game.
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:16 pm
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

Thanks fellas. This is worrysome. It could be that I just expect more from performance and notice when it drops. Inside is mostly fine, anywhere there's no monsters or NPCs is fine.

I've turned details right down. No grass, no HDR or Bloom. I've got view distance right out and distant lands on because that doesn't seem to make any difference.

I've just done a clean install and haven't been online or I would normally scan with AD-Avare and Spybot. No virus protection, auto update and windows firewall disabled, screen saver disabled. There are a lot of processes running but how do you know which ones are safe to turn off?

I've got 1 gig of Crucial Ballistix RAM.

Oh and I think it's dark because it's cloudy. Haha.

Last edited by Phil5000 on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:26 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I agree, there must be something wrong.

Mine 3400+, 6800GS runs with HDR and nearly everything on max in 1280*1024 quite smoothly.

Btw, what resolution are you running the game in?
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:13 am
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by Danicek
I agree, there must be something wrong.

Mine 3400+, 6800GS runs with HDR and nearly everything on max in 1280*1024 quite smoothly.

Btw, what resolution are you running the game in?

Well this is just crazy. What could possibly be wrong with it? Have I got some kind of cut-rate version of a 6800 or something. Win Fast PX6800TDH 256MB.

If it's not the card what could I do to resolve it? Should I just take it to a computer servicing shop and explain that the computer is not performing nearly as well as it should? Would that do any good?

I'm running at 1024 x 768 with x2AA

Thanks again.
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:45 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I understand that PX6800TDH is lower level 6800 card (just above LE type). It has 12 pipelines and I think it has 256bit memory interface (which is good).

It should run bit better than 6600GT and bit worse that 800XT. I think you should try to turn off AA. You should probably try FRAPS or something to measure your real framerates and then try to compare it with others framerates.

It should be lower than for running it on 6800GS, 6800GT, but above those running it with 6600GT.
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:14 am
ToddMcF2002
Leader of the Senate
Leader of the Senate

Give up on 2xAA.

I tweaked everything trying to keep frame rates above ~25 during combat outdoors with 2xAA enabled. Once I conceeded and dropped AA I was able to turn everything back up to high and I have no real slowdowns.

I'm using an X850 XT.
Post Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:18 pm
Phil5000
Keeper of the Gates
Keeper of the Gates

quote:
Originally posted by ToddMcF2002
Give up on 2xAA.

I tweaked everything trying to keep frame rates above ~25 during combat outdoors with 2xAA enabled. Once I conceeded and dropped AA I was able to turn everything back up to high and I have no real slowdowns.

I'm using an X850 XT.

How can you stand the jaggies?
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:28 am
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

I don't the jaggies are such a big deal. I decided to use HDR rather than 4xAA (both of which were running smoothly for me on 6800GS).
Post Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:08 am
Alohan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Is the HDR related to shader model 3.0?(or something?), because radeon series less than X1K dont support it , so no HDR for 800 850 or less radeon users?
Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:57 pm
Moriendor
Black Ring Leader
Black Ring Leader

No, it's not. HDR is not a SM 3.0 effect and Oblivion does not support SM 3.0. You can change an ini file entry that should -in theory- force 3.0 shaders to be used but since the game doesn't use any specific SM 3.0 effects, it is unclear whether changing the entry does anything at all.
Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:51 pm

Goto page 1, 2  Next