Usergroups
Great Games Are Always Misunderstood
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic - General

Author Thread
Shimbatha
Village Leader
Village Leader

First posts are always awkward, but I'm such a rabid fan of this game that I've deleted long-time net friends off my ICQ list for saying Gothic "Sucked", which should give me a little cred, right? (I get very offended when people speak ill of games/movies I worship)

Anyway, I wonder if anyone here realizes that the very best games are often times the ones that are either ignored or blasted by critics.

Think about it. Septerra Core, Anachronox, Return to Krondor, Darkstone,....Gothic. All were either blasted in reviews, or sold so poorly they were ignored by most major print mags. Yet all have devoted followings, and are, in truth, incredibly well-done RPGs. (Gamespot's Desslock was a huge fan of Krondor)

Gothic is the kind of RPG I want to see more of. Give me a believable 3D world, a slow day-to-night transition, and NPCs that act and react like real people, and I'm sold.

For all it's worth, I've been playing online RPGs since Diablo 1, and yet all I ever see anymore in these supposedly "supremely interactive games" is 15 year old kids talking about Pam anderson. If I want "interactivity" in an RPG, I want to play a game like Gothic. I wish I had conversations with people in Dark Age of Camelot as intense as the ones I've had with Gothic's NPCs.

Probably opened myself up for all kinds of ridicule, but, frankly, I don't care. Gothic is perfect in every way.

As a bonus, I put a pic of me showing off the huge shot range of the War Crossbow on my website, which you can view here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~shockman76/images/gothic1.jpg

On a final note, you know what I really love about this game? The fact that, unlike Ultima 9, I can move the viewing distance slider up to 300%, ramp the resolution up into the lower 1,000's, and still get a constant, unbroken 60fps. Now THATS a well crafted graphics engine.
Post Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:42 am
sauron38
Rara Avis
Rara Avis

quote:

On 2002-02-15 23:42, Shimbatha wrote:

For all it's worth, I've been playing online RPGs since Diablo 1, and yet all I ever see anymore in these supposedly "supremely interactive games" is 15 year old kids talking about Pam anderson.

Probably opened myself up for all kinds of ridicule, but, frankly, I don't care. Gothic is perfect in every way.

Welcome.

Well I agree with you in the fact that Gothic is a very well made RPG.

Again with the stereotype...all those 80 year olds are the same. Now I'm being a hypocrite.
Post Sat Feb 16, 2002 5:51 am