Thetrue meaningofthe Barrier!!!
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Giani
Village Leader
Village Leader

Thetrue meaningofthe Barrier!!!

I was wandering yesterday about that barrier that hold all those prisoners in the VOM...
From what I understand(I played the game a couple of times)the true meaning of the creation of the barrier was:
From Xardas wiew the creation of the barrier was from 2 reasons>one:locking up the bandits,rogues and such to mine ore.
Two:preventing the sleeper to awake and be free(if you were a mage,a paladin or a mercenary in gothic2 in the secret tomb of the monastery>you would then know that Xardas left a journal down there>(>>>THE THING IS:::when you were a mage it said something>bla bla bla,when you were a merc it said something else>bla la bla,when you were a paladin it said something else>la bla la.
The thing is that I played all 3 of them and put the story head be head and
you discover more about what happend to the sect loonies after the barrier colapsed
The true MEANING of the barrier creation was preventing the sleeper to escape into our world(gothic world )
Then the barrier took more proportion sizes and took a higher areea
I'm waiting for comments...(to clear me out)
Was that the true meaning to the creation of the barrier(besides the one that looked the convicts)
Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:57 am
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

the way i got the thing was that xadas and the other mages wanted to prevent the sleeper from wakeing .. so they came up whit the idea for the barrier .. and then adwise the king to have it set up at that place cause of the ore mines ( seens kings normaly have no clue whats going except from what they hear from their advicers he didnt know jack about why it should really be right there )

so the mages kinda played the king to agree to make the barrier
lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. the rset can be a
total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.
tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey
lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:44 pm
EDV
High Emperor
High Emperor

In the monastery cellar you'll find a book writen by Xardas himself. If says something about protecting the ore, but I don't clearly remember from who. I thought Beliar.
Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:29 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"says something about protecting the ore"

This is what I recall, prisoners were secondary to the Ore.
Xardas did not know the Sleeper was there and putting up the barrier would not stop the Sleeper from coming, so I am very sceptical of this theroy.

Would you mind providing where you saw in a book, heard someone say or saw in some moive where the idea that Xardas knew the Sleeper was there?
Xardas specificly mentions that the delicate balance of magic was disturbed and he was tring to find out what happened.

Xardas also mentions in the books under the Monastary that the King was foolish to think the Barrier was to only hold the prisoners, as I recall.
Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:42 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Xardas also mentions in the books under the Monastary that the King was foolish to think the Barrier was to only hold the prisoners, as I recall.

yer thats what i remember too .. else he tells it at some point .. to tell the truth its all becomeing very confuseing
Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:53 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

The Sleeper made the barrier what it was, not the magicians(Xardas said that the Sleeper interrupted the casting of the barrier, and made it much bigger than it was supposed to be). He was also the one upholdning the barrier.

It is true what you said though, Xardas says at the end of the game that his whole plan was all along to get the powers of the Sleeper. He had a secret library in the basement of the Monestary, protected by Demons and Undead(conjured up by Xardas), so he was definetly a Necromancer long before he went into the Valley of Mines, and probably knew about the Sleeper as well. It seems to me he has been wanting the powers of Beliars' Chosen(first Sleeper and then Undead dragon) for a long, long time.
Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:10 pm
Uocjat
High Emperor
High Emperor

if i remeber correctly .. and i propperly dont .. but anyway i think one of the lesser npcs .. possibly one of the novices .. will tell you some background story on xadas from the time he was whit the monestary ..
or maybe its in a book .. or he says it him self .. or i've dremt it .. im not sure
but it was something about the other mages became mad at him because he started playing whit black magic .. ( before the barrier ) .. then after they all got traped cause of the mishap whit the barrier he wanted to find out why it happened .. thats why he turned over to be a full fleched necro
cause he surspected it had something to whit demon magic .. ( bacause he knew of the sleeper? )

ok sorry if im not makeing much sence
Post Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:24 pm
titus
Survivor of Hell
Survivor of Hell

No I think you are completely right about that part it was something like that.
I still don't think Xardas is evil.why not? well:
1 at gothic 1 you are sent to this dark magician because there is no other option and he is painted as the bad dark banned magician
2 he looks evil at the end but he is the one with the most knowledge and has always helped you on your path. My feeling was that there were only 3 I could trust: Wulf, Lee and Xardas
3 He goes from the mysterious helper in one to the evil guy in 2 so I think he will siwthc back to good in 1 or as a neutral element.
But he that is just what I think about it
Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:38 pm
Uriziel
Grand Mage
Grand Mage

The barrier was "attempted" to contain the prisoners and protect the magic ore. All of the magicians created the barrier, but they did not know about the sleeper and the unknown power of the sleeper caused the barrier to grow and strengthen.

The true evil in G3 will come as a shock to many. The "evil" one is not Beliar or Innos, nor the usual suspect like Xardas. The true evil appeared in Gothic 1 and will reappear in G3. His power to annoy is beyond belief. Even the true gods shake in his presence.....his powers of annoy are vastly beyond any opposing power....good or evil. Hide the livestock and keep your back to the wall....MUD is BACK!! All hail MUD!!

Peter: I'll tell you what it's not for, son. And when I do, you'll understand why I can never go back to Sea World.
Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:15 pm
Acleacius
King of the Realms
King of the Realms

"He had a secret library in the basement of the Monestary"

Thats a good point, it does seem like PB wants us to doubt Xardas at least, even thou the information Xardas provides, acts on and says in Gothic 1 and most of information in Gothic 2 contradict this, imo.
It seems to be just a story shift to continue the trilogy.
Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:26 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the fearsome Mud is back!! Mr.Annoying Of The Millenium!

Now that would actually be pure evil..

Also, the whole thing about Xardas will have no answers before G3. The whole thing is set up in such a neat way PB can basically twist and turn it the way they want and create a good ending, which also surprises. That is the feeling I have gotten all along from PB, there is something more than the usual clichès, and I can't wait to find out the rest!
Post Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:55 pm
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Xardas is one of my favorite characters in any game. I do not think he is truly evil -- only selfish.

He wants to gain power and learn magic for his own purposes and will not let others deter him. However, he is not interested in inflicting pain or misery just because he can. Its the thrill of learning, the journey of discovery, that makes him tick.
Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:04 pm
Maylander
High Emperor
High Emperor

Definetly, he's powerhungry, and will stop at nothing to gain as much power as possible. I agree that he doesn't do it to harm anyone though, only to gain as much power as he can for himself.
Post Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:18 pm
Whailor
Most Exalted Highlord
Most Exalted Highlord

Xardas did not help the main char because he felt "obliged" to save the world and do good things, heh.. Xardas helped him only because he understood, that the main char is the Chosen of Innos. Which suddenly allowed Xardas to finish (or at least try in G1) his long lasting plan - get the powers of the Chosen of Beliar, who in G1 was the Sleeper and in G2 the undead dragon. In both cases Xardas didn't have even the fraction of power needed to deal with those mobs, and then lo and behold! Along comes the Chosen of Innos. Talk about luck! Who else will manage to get through all of the minions and get all the way to the Chosen of Beliar, beat the crap out of it and allow him, Xardas, get what he needs and wants? Only the Chosen of Innos. So Xardas took the supportive role out of necessity- he helps you to vanquish the 'big bad evil monster' and in turn, at the right moment, he pops in and saps the power. Perfect plan.

Well, wasn't sadly that perfect in G1, as Sleeper realised it and put Xardas to sleep (Sleeper wasn't fully awaken, thus not strong to kill Xardas, so he just removed him from the big picture. Speaking of which, how the hell did Xardas get out..). Anywho, so the Chosen of Innos banishes the Sleeper and case closed. Almost.

Beliar still wants to kick the crap out of the stuff created by Innos, that is, the world. So he sends another chosen of his and Xardas realises it. Another chance to get what he wants! Obviously he does some 'divination' and finds out, that the Chosen of Innos is still alive, though beaten up and trapped in old temple ruins. Being full aware that there is still no one else who can help him to achieve what he wants, he summons the Chosen of Innos out and again, takes the role of the mentor. Xardas helps and guides and advises the main char, because ONLY if the main char succeeds, will Xardas succeed. There's no honor amongst the thieves they say, well, there's definately no honor of any kind amongst the evil minions of evil god Thus Xardas helps you directly in any way he can, in many cass thwarting the things made by the undead dragon minions. Necklace restoring, anyone (the Eye of Innos)? Information on how to kill dragons? Information on how to kill the big bad undead dragon? Xardas helps the main char in any way he can, because this way, he also helps himself. And this time Xardas is prepared and takes no chances, and in the end, he gets what he wants.

Curios thing here is - how it all pans out? What will Xardas do with all of the power he has now? Xardas is no fool, no idiot, he must be fully aware of the fact that if he screwes up somewhere, something, the main char may come after him and if anyone could deal with him, it would be the main char. He doesn't, or at least should not, underestimate the main char, as he has already defeated two frikkin' Chosens of Beliar - yes, with the help and advises from many, but he did it still on his own, without any direct help. Which means that he is powerful. So I am kinda curious how it pans out in G3. I mean, Xardas may not be inheritly evil, he's just greedy and selfish, but wielding the power of the Chosen of Beliar is not like wearing a shirt - that's a bloody big power and it can corrupt anyone, including Xardas. I guess we'll see and sadly, not too soon, seeing as G3 release in Germany was pushed to 2006 and from personal experience, it may very well mean that english players, if they get lucky, may see the game in 2007..

In any case, make no mistake in this - Xardas helped the main char only because it was the only way he could have helped himself
Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:15 am
tolgerias
High Emperor
High Emperor

you summed it up nicely, Whailor
Post Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:37 am

Goto page 1, 2  Next