Usergroups
Scariest and funniest rpg moments
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > CRPGs General

Author Thread
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

Yeah, I don't think any game (RPG or otherwise) has come close to the scares of SS2... just a shame that Shodan was actually more menacing in the first game. As terrifying as the sequel was, Shodan's messages throughout SS1 were the scariest thing I've experienced in any game, they really freaked me out

Cleverest moment (that I can remember) was in Deus Ex, in one of my early attempts at the first Statue of Liberty mission, and before I had an idea of how flexible the game was. I'd already played the mission once, but had neglected to save Gunther and had also been derided for being too violent, so I decided to try again with a non-lethal approach. I got all the way up to the last two guards, and as I hid behind a bannister listening to them talking, I realised I didn't have any suitable weapons to take them both out... I had my pistol, but I didn't want to kill anyone, I had my dartgun, but I knew even if I hit them both quickly, the drugs would take a while to knock them out and I didn't want to risk getting shot at such close range. I only had enough charge in my shock prod for one guy, and I'd used all the gas grenades. I thought I was stuck, but I had a look in my inventory to see if any of the odds and ends I'd picked up along the way could be useful... I found something that might do the trick... I jumped out from cover, and just as the guards turned and saw me, I blasted em both with a fire extinguisher (no idea why I'd kept it, but I was glad I did) and it worked! They were both blinded long enough for me to dart one and shock the other. I loved it

That's also possibly my funniest moment.
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:51 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

Good old SS1... Shodan was far worse there, absolutely correct . And my favorite DX weapons were pepper spray and taser. I went the sneaky way from the start...
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:05 pm
Guybrush Threepwood
High Emperor
High Emperor

I thought the various dialogues in Fallout 1 and 2 were funny....too many to name. My scariest non-rpg moments were in Thief 2....I jumped quite a bit due to suspense. Scariest RPG moments? err...I can't think of any... most scary moments came from games with rpg aspects....such as Deus Ex... oh wait...I jumped quite a bit due to that horrible darkness factor in Gothic 1 where you could barely see anything and those ant critters would pop outta nowhere.
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 7:45 am
Parcival
Rightful Heir To The Throne
Rightful Heir To The Throne

I totaly agree on the crypts and the dwarven mine in Arx for most scariest moments. (you got me curious for system shock...)

I dont think I ever had a real good laugh while playing an rpg. Although... there was this 'easter egg' in Ultima IX. In the entire game, there is just one carrot. Its just outside of jew. Pick it op, turn around and look up. From that point of view the rock behind you is 10 feet tall giant rabbit. I just love that kind if humor.

Parcival
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:17 pm
Davo
City Guard
City Guard

I've never played a CRPG that scared me. I have played games in other genres that have scared the heck out of me. Last night I played a demo of Silent Hill 3 (which is supposed to be coming out on PS2 and PC). The main character was in a weird, grimy-looking carnival populated by things that looked like half-dog/half plant or 15-foot tall faceless humanoids with huge drum-shaped lumps of flesh for hands. Very loud carnival music played in the background and there were people wearing giant bunny suits lying slaughtered on the ground in pools of blood. Everything looked rusty and slippery. I was playing with headphones and got so freaked out after 10 minutes of game time that I had to leap up and shut that freaky game off.
Post Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:16 pm
gyorn
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Funniest Moment
NWN - I was goofing around one day - set the cheat mode and maxed out my character on int, charisma, etc.. all 100 pts.

When I went to the Inn with the "Ladies of the Night" I was able to bed them through additional dialog choices. After the deed I talked with her and then right after that she colapsed and fell to the floor with a thud,

I never laughed so hard in a game.
Post Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:20 am
piln
High Emperor
High Emperor

I'm sure many of you have already seen it, but this site:

http://www.it-he.org

has some "alternative" walkthroughs for lots of games like various Ultimas, System Shock and Deus Ex - basically ways to mess with the game and make it do silly things. The section on Ultima 9 is hilarious.
Post Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:00 pm
amos
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I think I'll agree with the SS2 for scariest, though I can't remember any particular event, its been a few years.

For funniest, I think some of the events in Anachronox had me actually laughing out loud. The "stranded in space" cutscene was probably one of the high points.
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:37 pm
SheerWolf
Village Leader
Village Leader

My scariest moment... Hm I'm not sure if Gabriel Knight 2 counts, as it's more of an adventure game, but I have to mention this.

We're in the cabin far into the woods, investigating the hunting club. We discover a cave, and enter it... it's dark, so we light a match. Then, we see Von Zell eating human corpses. That *really* scared me hehe. Also, not too long after, when we're in the woods and must evade the werewolves using the Ritter talisman and the theme song starts playing ... that was a great moment.

Undying and Resident Evil must be *the* most frightning games though.

As for true RPGs, I have no idea. I can't think of any that have made me jump in the chair.
Post Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:57 am
GokYabguHan
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

The scariest moment was, when i played Arx Fatalis, the Crypt levels. The whole atmosphere of the crypt was, well, it gave me the creeps, man. Funniest moment was the dialogues of skeletons in Divinity.I am just a little bored of so serious games, developers should add their games more humour, i think.(A RPG game that depends on Discworld novels can be very good) And here is the another one, when i played Dungeon Siege i encountered a creature called "Sickick" or something like that. Most of you can not understand this, but i am a Turk and in Turkish language this word means "fucked" in exact words. Well, if you look at the creature, you can say that developers found a perfect name for it.
Post Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:31 am
Cm
Sentinel of Light
Sentinel of Light

Scary Moments

GokYabgulHan hit the nail on the head. There were several times in Arx that I actually jumped in my chair. The sceens and sounds combine to really catch you off guard and scare the --- out of you. Even when you know it's coming.
Mark Twain
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:27 am
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

The crypt in Arx was pretty good. when those liches leap through the stained glass windows I nearly hit the roof.
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:36 am
Sir Markus
Counselor of the King
Counselor of the King

The funniest experience was probably in Outcast, in the first or second city the background music was played on a flute, and it was a totally butchered version of one of the songs from the Star Wars movies.

Also, there were lots of funny sequences between guards in the Thief games, Morte was funny in Planescape, Minsk was funny in Baldur's Gate.

The scary ones were System Shock 2, I hated the sounds of the clanking of those robots walkingh around in Thief 2.

And for what it's worth, one of the saddest moments is when your trusty robot, Floyd, died in the ancient Infocom text adventure, Planetfall.
Post Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:55 am

Goto page Previous  1, 2