View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Wizardry 8

Author Thread
ThouShaltNot
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

quote:
Originally posted by shrewgirl
@ThouShallNot-Maybe if you had played a little longer you would have found that there are several opportunities in the game to recruit other characters you did not create to your party. Also, as the game progresses there are more opportunities for interaction, also, did you try giving all of your party members DIFFERENT personalities, THAT is one of the unique and enjoyable aspects of this game-of course if you don't have speakers or mute the sound, you miss the experience of all of the different reactions of the characters in your party...try making one chaotic or aloof and see if they all act "gestalt-like" then...Also, I don't know if you stopped to consider this one...had it occured to you that you were getting all of these battle opportunities in order to train and develop your characters, sort of an allusion to reality, they are after all going to a strange world, so they have to "grow" through battle in order to be more powerful, so they can have more interaction, better weapons, spells and so forth...I have played many rpg's and this character building through battle seems to be a fairly common concept; so forgive me for being puzzled by your complaints. If you found the game so bad I wonder why you and a few others are then apparently WASTING your time by watching the wizardry board and posting if the only reason is to diss and complain about the game???? I personally love this game...if I ever won the lottery or found a long lost rich relative I would hire the sir-tech crew myself so there could be more Wizardry games!!!

I take it you mean that "yes, the plot does improve".

As for your accusation that I've been hovering over the Wizardry 8 forum like some sort of disease-carrying mosquito, that last post was actually the first time I've visited this forum. In fact this is only about the 10th forum post I've ever made (think of me as a newly hatched mosquito).

I've no hard feelings towards Sir-Tech. In fact one of the reasons why I bought this game was because I heard they were probably going out of business and wanted to give them a financial "boost".
Post Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:24 am
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Dear Thu Shalt Not:
Again, I do humbly apologize for being so agressive. I did not mean to imply that you specifically are hovering the board for malicious purposes....although I do think in another topic thread that would be an accurate description of certain other posters who shall, for the time being, remain nameless...I hope you will try out my suggestions and elsewhere on this board there are plenty of suggestions to help you progress in the game. Try reforming your party and giving them different personalites and when you do so, try out the different voices that go with each personality before you decide on one, different races and catagoriesand so forth...my personal favorite was my male felpurr samarai warrior with eccentric personality-he refers to himself in the third person through out the game...and I have always found making someone a loner personality(for the sarcasm) and having atleast one chaotic personality(for the unexpected) makes the game better...but if you are not listening(don't have speakers or have your volume on mute) you will not HEAR all of the different personalities(they talk without having dialogue boxes throughout the game) if you set them up right they will even argue with YOU under cetain circumstances when you want them to go certain places or cast certain spells...so, since you spent the money already why don't you give it a whirl and try it again???? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain
Post Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:29 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

Yet another post with excellent advice. Trying to take my job, Shrewgirl? OTOH, otter and Bilbo just might like that idea.
RIP Red Wings How 'Bout Dem Cowboys!
Post Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:45 pm
otter
One of Us

Hah! I'm still playing. Got a solo and two duo's going now, might make the duo's into solos soon. This biz about going up more levels after 50 appeals to me...
Post Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:43 pm
Alrik Fassbauer
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Wait a minute - you mean that EVERY personality has their OWN remarks !

WOW ! What a lot of detail !

(As I progress more and more in this game, I actually astonished how much details went into this work - the people must've really loved this game ! )
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:38 am
mustafa
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

From what I've seen for e.g. a female Ninja with Laidback personality remarks differently from a female Ranger with Laidback personality and a female Ninja with another personality say a Loner personality.
To ThouShaltNot:-
I actually don't know where you are in the game. If you are in the Monastery you can speak with Burz, Al-theides, Savant Henchman. As for your posting, I suggest you put few more hours into the game and may be initially follow a walkthrough until you feel ok with the game. When I played the for the first time I was never interested to finish the game rather I went to each place, explored everything, talked with every character and just spent wandering around picking up experience (xp) and slowly advancing the plot. So put more time and you won't be surely disappointed and don't try to play Wiz 8 like you traditionally play other games.
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:25 am
the mighty stamar
High Emperor
High Emperor

Oh ya lots and lots of sound bytes

all the rpcs have different comments about areas. Good voice acting also. one of the 3 cds is entirely sound.
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:41 am
ThouShaltNot
Eager Tradesman
Eager Tradesman

I was aware the different preset personality types make observations about things, but do they actually interact with each other, such getting into arguments, or do they just spout one-liners? If they just interact with the world and not each other, then it's hard to think of them as unique individuals. That's what I meant by the whole "Gesalt entity" thing.

I probably shouldn't have posted in a thread entitled "Worst Game Ever" though. That was just asking for a flaming!

Anyway, you've sparked my interest. I'll give it another go. It has been over a year since I played it, and maybe I was in the wrong mood at the time. Oh, and for your information, I didn't even get out of the first dungeon. Don't laugh.
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:53 am
Bilbo
High Emperor
High Emperor

quote:
Originally posted by dteowner
Yet another post with excellent advice. Trying to take my job, Shrewgirl? OTOH, otter and Bilbo just might like that idea.
No, I'm not looking to replace you Dte.

As you know, my time here has been limited and I'm actually looking for someone to replace me. And not to speak for Otter, but he's so busy playing Wiz7 & 8 he doesn't seem to be around as much either. So it looks as if we're stuck with you for a while.
Post Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:02 pm
shrewgirl
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I personally think that DTE, Otter and Bilbo are irreplaceable; I could not have got through the game the first time without you!!! But remeber the old saying, the most sincere form of flattery is imitation, so if I occasionally sound like you Dte or anyone else, it is only because of the most excellent examples you guys have provided. I hope you give it another whirl Thou, atleast don't decide until you are out of the dungeon and make it to Arnika or Trynton atleast....and remember, if you want more interaction with those you meet you can always type in extra words, sentences and so forth....I would recommend it actually, because it will help you advance in the game more quickly
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:17 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

quote:
Originally posted by shrewgirl
if I occasionally sound like you Dte or anyone else, it is only because of the most excellent examples you guys have provided.
Not a problem, shrewgirl! Actually, since Bilbo's been rather busy in RL and I've been playing other games, it would be rather helpful to have a "second generation" of gurus available to help out so that otter doesn't get to take all the credit.
Post Fri Jul 25, 2003 8:00 pm
otter
One of Us

S'ok!
Post Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:01 am
Desdicado
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I have to agree with the original poster, as far as RPGs go it is my least favourite of all I've played and I've been playing CRPGS since the text based ones of 1984!. I've played all the old SSI ones, Death Knights of Krynn etc, Dungeon master 1 and 2, the Bards tale games, all the Might and Magic games from 2 to 9, Wizards and Warriors, Divine Divinity, all the Baldurs and Icewinds, too many others to mention.
Wizardry 8 was the worst.
I'm going to tell you why though, far too many enemies at a time in ridiculously drawn out combat, 10 minutes + sometimes and these battles are one after another after another.
NPCS are lacking flair and background and have very limited dialogue.
The overland areas are hemmed in by unclimable mountains so you run about in narrow troughs, which I didn't like.
The one well planned area was the demo level, which fooled me into buying this game.
Sure character development was good and you had a lot of control, but to what end as the monsters increased as well.
Did I mention the combat?, not complicated, just tedious
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:26 pm
Danicek
The Old One
The Old One

Interesting - different people and so many different opinions :].
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:45 pm
dteowner
Shoegazer
Shoegazer

To each his own, although I don't know how anyone could compare Wiz8 to that bugfest Wizards and Warriors and not pick Wiz8.
Post Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:39 pm

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next