Advertising
  View previous topic :: View next topic
RPGDot Forums > Gothic 2 General

Author Thread
Lostnumber
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Advertising

A reliable source or two here at gothic dot have mentioned that the international release of Gothic 2 will not occur until proper advertising has taken place. Therefore, I have a burning question to ask anyone that reads this post. Have you seen any advertisement regarding Gothic 2? If so, where did you see it and what form of media was it in? I have known about the planed existence of Gothic 2 for quite some time now, and aside from the information disseminated by this site, I don't think that I have seen a single damn thing about Gothic 2. This sucks for a variety of reasons, first and foremost because every man alive should not be deprived of life, liberty, and the pursuit of Gothic 2. If the general population is ignorant of its existence then how can they possibly bask in its glorious gaming goodness??!!! Secondly, because Piranha Bytes deserves as much money as they can possibly squeeze out of this game, and thirdly because I want Gothic 2 damn it!! Now, in no way was that last comment intended as a stab at Jowood, PB, or Infogrames so please don't turn this into an I hate (fill in the blank) because I am not playing Gothic 2 right now!!! GRRRR!!! Instead, this is intended as an informative thread that will allow its readers to see exactly where and how Gothic 2 is making itself known to the world.
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:12 pm
Dbesing
Noble Knight
Noble Knight

haven't seen it any where, and no news releases from infogrames either
Post Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:56 pm
Dhruin
Stranger In A Strange Land
Stranger In A Strange Land

It's been, what...a week or so since the announcement? I have no idea what Infogrames plans are but even if they planned on advertising immediately it would take many weeks at least to design ads, book the placements and get them out - most suitable publications are monthly.

Be realistic - and patient.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:37 am
Delo
City Guard
City Guard

I think the 7000 posts in this area of the forums are adveritsements in themselves!
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:11 am
Lostnumber
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

I see...to tell you the truth I never thought about the actual process of advertising, that is what it took, where it went, and how it was done. Given the scope of infogrames' market I would assume that in the coming month I could expect to see many ads pushing Gothic 2. On a different note, who was it that published Gothic 1 in the U.S.? I don't think that I saw a single add for it anywhere ever, I just picked up the game in exchange for a lame, yet thoughtful, Christmas gift. I picked up the box and when I saw swords, skeletons, and that goofy ass looking mine crawler queen I was sold; that was the extent of the advertising that I have seen. After I played that game through the first time I pushed it on all my friends harder than a crack dealer pushes crack. Yeah, I was hooked and about 12 times through later (I know...no need to call me a loser) I still can't believe that Gothic isn't mentioned in the same breath with games like halflife, unreal tournament, and morrowind. I blame all this on poor advertising, if more people out there knew of Gothic 1 from the start then there is no doubt in my mind that it would be rated as one of the best games of all time. Alas, it is not, so here’s hoping for a warm, hearty welcome for Gothic 2; may there be a copy in everyone's home, even yours.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:48 am
elkston
High Emperor
High Emperor

Lostnumber,

Great post and so eloquently put!!! Welcome to the ranks of Gothic fandom.

BTW, Xicat published the Gothic in the US.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:15 am
Gorath
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

The E3 is in a few weeks.
Post Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:22 am
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

release

the thing is guys.. there isnt much advertisment out there for games that has coming soon!!! there is some but not many.. they usually decide the release date before the advertising starts..wasting all that money on an tv advert that sooo exciting then at the end it says " gothic II.. coming soon" now dont tell me that dont sound lame guys, and i think the employees at infrogrames know this to.. also it would be nothing exciting for the many awaiting fans out there if a bloody poster had gothic II coming soon on it.. that wouldnt tickle your fancy now would it..
Post Thu May 01, 2003 7:08 pm
Jaz
Late Night Spook
Late Night Spook

A campaign usually is aimed at the general games market, not at the game's diehard fans. The latter know about the game, anyway. So what might seem boring for those in the know might pique the interest of people who never heard of the game before.
Post Thu May 01, 2003 7:19 pm
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

ummm

its a bloody sequel.. and your saying it isnt aimed at us die hard fans??? sounds weird..ofcourse its gonna be aimed at us, but you are correct buddy.. it wont be just aimed at us, they will probably be trying to attract the widest customers world wide huh...and i hope it does, means more money to design GIII. but thats getting way ahead of myself!!!
Post Thu May 01, 2003 9:37 pm
Floppy Don
Village Dweller
Village Dweller

Yes, its been agonizing waiting for this release, especially with the knowledge that the games been finished for quite some time. I think most of us will agree though that Gothic 2's worldwide success is more important than the impatience of the game's die hard fans.

My question is, what would be the problem with Infrogrames releasing the game and then launching its PR campaign? What difference does it really make if a game is actually available while its being hyped and advertised? I wanna play soooo bad!
Post Thu May 01, 2003 11:32 pm
Lostnumber
Head Merchant
Head Merchant

Now while I don't know the real mechanics behind marketing, I can tell you that hype spreads faster than fleas in a whore house. Take Star Wars episode one for example, every face painting aficionado was setting up camp outside the nearest movie theatre just to get tickets, its that kind of excitement that really gets folks curious. Now I know that everyone here is not going to play truant or sick for the next month just to go and sit at some stores door front, but any other anonymous rpg fan browsing the forums is bound to read about Gothic sooner or later. As such I imagine that any hype generated here is beneficial to Gothic 2's marketing cause, and such hype might begin to subside as the Gothic fan club's gaming appetite is satiated. Keep in mind these are just guesses, simple opinions, they are just as good as the next one.

Edited for clarification of the word it, once in place of marketing in the first line.
Post Fri May 02, 2003 5:46 am
Rawis
Gorthaur
Gorthaur

Hey, I would help them advertising if that would mean a sooner release.
Post Sat May 03, 2003 2:38 am
ziBzi
Necromancer
Necromancer

lets start a war, mother fukers

i have to say, if they end up posponing the game release again i will crack up totaly!!!
i really need this god damn game to come out soon.. its nipping ma heed!

Post Sat May 03, 2003 4:28 pm